IGNORED

Formula One - 2016 Season

Jonny5

7 minutes ago, wev said:

Utterly stupid the champion doesn't get the trophy at the final event. Does any other sport do that?

In theory it could still change under the rules; Rosberg's car could be found to be underweight, illegal fuel etc. The race results aren't fully finalised for a while!

Roll on next year. If overtaking is easier and Red Bull sort themselves out I cant see Nico getting even a look in on defending his title.

Well unless Lewis fluffs a bunch of starts again, as even with the engine blow out, if he had got away well each time he would be the Champion.

In theory it could still change under the rules; Rosberg's car could be found to be underweight, illegal fuel etc. The race results aren't fully finalised for a while!

I know, but it dampens the whole thing really

8 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

There you go, now you can be salty about something else.

Odd comment. Nothing to do with being 'salty', I'm a Hamilton fan and feel it's only right to wish the guy congratulations, regardless of whether it's deserved or not. I don't particularly like Rosberg but he showed a bit of class when he lost the championship to Hamilton a couple of years ago.

5 minutes ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

I'm a Hamilton fan and feel it's only right to wish the guy congratulations, regardless of whether it's deserved or not. I don't particularly like Rosberg but he showed a bit of class when he lost the championship to Hamilton a couple of years ago.

This is where I am too. Had to run out so will be interesting to see how the interviews go.

Congrats to Rosberg, the last 4 years of F1 could've been a procession but he's been there all the way with Lewis, the amount of poles and wins he's had more than justify having one out of the last four world titles in his name.

I also hope this can refocus Lewis for next year and this will take the petty frustrated edge off Rosberg now he's got the title under his belt.

Reckon next season could be a beast.

32 minutes ago, Charles said:

Yeah, Toto should just suck it up. Mercedes had the team and the driver championships sown up. They should have stayed out of the politics of the final race. Let both drivers do their own thing, may the best man win. 

The Merc team are coming across very badly with this. It's completely unreasonable to order someone to throw away the chance of a world championship because the guy in second place can't or won't attempt an overtake on a team mate he feels is going too slowly, given both the Constructors and a 1 - 2 for the team in the Drivers was already guaranteed.

Frustrating end to what could have been an exciting year.

It was always going to be between Nico and Lewis.

But the highlight was the emergence of Max Verstappen, pushing to the limits and giving us some exciting moments.

Will the new regulations really change that much, if the Mercedes engine is still so far ahead?

The general consensus I got from people I chatted to was that the cars will be massively quick in the corners, will have smaller braking zones making overtaking even more tricky, will look like they are on rails and potentially be even more difficult to run closely together next season.

So... er... let's just hope there's at least a few competitive teams fighting for wins, because the racing is at risk of becoming a bit dull.

They really need to change the final race of the season to somewhere else because his track just is always a precession, the last few races need to be at places like Japan and Brazil where anything can happen.  If it wasn't for Hamilton backing up the back and bringing Max and Vettel's alternative strategies into play the season would have ended with a real downer.

Mercedes were out of line ordering Lewis to speed up and sending out false warning messages about keeping first, they had nothing on the line having already wrapped up both titles and are a hard team to like despite me actually quite liking Toto.  Their driver only had one way of winning the title once Rosberg got into second so what did they expect him to do? Just give up, Nico could have tried the pass, Lewis had to finish the race to have any chance so it's not like he was going to just wipe him out.

Its been a odd year and Nico is not a totally undeserved champion, he's done nothing to show he's a great racer but has been fast enough to outscore Lewis with the usual ups and downs of an F1 season.  I hope this puts all their bad attitude and not so subtle digs at each other to rest, it's embarrassing for two grown men at times.  Although this could take Rosberg's sense of entitlement and superiority off the charts and make him as unbearable as Red Bull Vettel.

Hamilton facing suspension or possibly the sack after ignoring team instructions yesterday. 

I understand completely why he slowed down. It was his only chance of winning the championship. But I also understand there are consequences for defying team orders. He may have already handed next years championship to Rosberg before it has even begun. 

I agree to an extent that Mercedes shouldn't have got involved and just let them race however they wanted. But it's still in the teams interests to finish 1/2 in the race, with no embarrassing throwing away of that result. 

6 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Hamilton facing suspension or possibly the sack after ignoring team instructions yesterday. 

I understand completely why he slowed down. It was his only chance of winning the championship. But I also understand there are consequences for defying team orders. He may have already handed next years championship to Rosberg before it has even begun. 

I agree to an extent that Mercedes shouldn't have got involved and just let them race however they wanted. But it's still in the teams interests to finish 1/2 in the race, with no embarrassing throwing away of that result. 

Mercedes did radio Nico, and said it's still ok if you finish third.