Robot Wars Returns - Sunday 8pm BBC2

Gotters

I liked it.  More fighting that the old one, a better format.  Not been a fan of Craig Charles and he'll not come up with anything funnier than some of the stuff Dara said these evening.  Hated the Nuts guys at the start, but warmed to them by the end for simply not giving up.  Carbide take over the mantle of Team Smug after Razer yet again self-destruct when it matters.

Yeah.  Entertaining stuff.

BUILDING ROBOTS IS DANGEROUS AND SHOULDN'T BE ATTEMPTED WITHOUT GREAT CARE. TO RECEIVE OUR SAFETY GUIDELINES YOU MUST FIRST JOIN THE ROBOT WARS CLUB. SEND A CHEQUE OR POSTAL ORDER...

I missed that part.

And I also missed the title music. Boo!

- Because Dara's improvising more, there's more instances of something that was pointed out in the Things that fuck you off thread which I now can't help but notice, that being Dara saying something he thinks is funny and then immediately following it with, "EEEEEHHHMMMM". Came into his own when talking about the science with Professor Prog Rock though, but I do miss Craig in an outrageously tassly leather trenchcoat. Without him it feels less like a robot fighting tournament and more like that Techno Games from a while back.

- Something was off about the presentation. Maybe it was too light and squeaky clean, I'm not sure, but despite the bigger house robots, the HD filming and stuff it sort of felt a bit straight to DVD, if that makes sense. It felt like a one-episode thing. But I'm sure I'll get used to it; it's just an observation, not a gripe.

- Jon Pierce clearly had one of those footy mics under his nose like before because he was muffled as all hell. He made a great bridge between old and new though and it was nice to see him put Terrorhurtz over when the producers seemed to pass over them in favour of Razer and Behemoth. And no/very little of the forced laughing he kept phoning in towards the end of the last run.

- It's obviously because it's now a league table system and teams need to fight more than once, but I think they could have let the house robots get more involved after someone's immobilised.

- Fucking hell Razer you're supposed to be my old favourites. As least the Terrorhurtz bloke looks much less like a paedophile science teacher these days.

Overall I think I'm rather surprised that they've streamlined it down to its basics and are presenting it more like a sport, whereas the old run, especially the second half, had a sort of pro-wrestling air about it by building characters, rivalries, grudge matches and so on. I think it'll do well though and it's worlds apart from other TV reboots like the Sky version of Gladiators. But despite all this, I think what I'm most taking away from this episode is that the Behemoth team are somehow fatter, and much further up their own arses than before. They were always my most hated team, heh.

I just made a post this big about Robot Wars. Brb, off to find out where my life's gone. :D

I thought this was brilliant; I don’t know if they deliberately picked the best bunch of robots possible for the start, but my memory of the original Robot Wars was a load of creaky robots wheezing towards each other and not doing very much damage. This one was fucking carnage – that Carbide thing was the Robot Wars equivalent of that exoskeleton thing from the end of District 9. Also, the minibots that Nuts had were hilarious, especially when Behemoth flipped one about ten feet in the air. I loved the fact that they had no purpose whatsoever, and just kind of razzed around in the background, panicking, while their parent got absolutely twatted.

Not wishing to sound sexist, but they seemed to have had some kind of edict to include a token women on the teams, so that one team had a lady on as a “tactician”, and another one had a lady who made the sandwiches. It would be great to have an all-female team on there, but this seemed a bit patronising.

14 hours ago, The Buttertendo said:

- Something was off about the presentation. Maybe it was too light and squeaky clean, I'm not sure, but despite the bigger house robots, the HD filming and stuff it sort of felt a bit straight to DVD, if that makes sense. It felt like a one-episode thing. But I'm sure I'll get used to it; it's just an observation, not a gripe.

It seemed a bit low budget to me, which makes sense. Bring it back without going mental on costs, if it's really popular then do a series 2 with a higher budger (Include things like a title sequence, better looking arena entrance etc).

It was filmed in 5 days up in a hangar near Glasgow airport back in March, so no doubt it would be pretty damn cold in there for everyone too.

It was fine, very very very similar to the original.

Which given how much has changed since then is ridiculous. It should've always been called remote-controlled car wars and in this day and age even more so.

A robot, by definition, should have some degree of autonomy. University teams would be more than capable of building something like what was shown, but which can navigate and engage autonomously. You'd have to change the arena to make it a bit more sensor friendly but it's totally possible. There are already things like robot football matches that have been happening for years now.

Why isn't this moving with the times *at all* ?
What about a separate league just for battling aerial drones (again, these would have to be autonomous)?

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

EDIT: Ok, so googled some autonomous robot battle on YouTube and they are all pretty lame so far :( - like two Roombas fighting, basically.
But surely we can't be far off ?! I want to see two Boston Dynamics creations fighting...

1 hour ago, K said:

I thought this was brilliant; I don’t know if they deliberately picked the best bunch of robots possible for the start, but my memory of the original Robot Wars was a load of creaky robots wheezing towards each other and not doing very much damage. This one was fucking carnage – that Carbide thing was the Robot Wars equivalent of that exoskeleton thing from the end of District 9. Also, the minibots that Nuts had were hilarious, especially when Behemoth flipped one about ten feet in the air. I loved the fact that they had no purpose whatsoever, and just kind of razzed around in the background, panicking, while their parent got absolutely twatted.

Not wishing to sound sexist, but they seemed to have had some kind of edict to include a token women on the teams, so that one team had a lady on as a “tactician”, and another one had a lady who made the sandwiches. It would be great to have an all-female team on there, but this seemed a bit patronising.

Also, 100% agreed on the women there to make the sandwiches. It was more patronising than if there hadn't been any at all.

That was awesome. I'm glad they stripped out most of the inessentials but I would also have liked them to lose the gang bang at the start. Some robots need to stalk a bit before pouncing and that format tends to count against them at an early stage. Do very much like having a smaller number of robots in a league style. They commentary was much better and largely related to what was actually happening than in days of yore. I'm still not convinced about axe-style robots; have we ever seen any do a decent amount of damage?

44 minutes ago, zuum said:

That was awesome. I'm glad they stripped out most of the inessentials but I would also have liked them to lose the gang bang at the start. Some robots need to stalk a bit before pouncing and that format tends to count against them at an early stage. Do very much like having a smaller number of robots in a league style. They commentary was much better and largely related to what was actually happening than in days of yore. I'm still not convinced about axe-style robots; have we ever seen any do a decent amount of damage?

I don't think so. Even the house robot with an axe which is about 2-3x heavier than the allowed competitor robots (?) axe is crap.
If you think about what a flywheel based spinner is vs. an axe that can't build momentum, I don't see how they can ever be any good.

That's the other slight disappointment about this series: spinners and wedges are going to dominate again, exactly like 15 years ago.... ?

i'm not sure how entertaining drones would be, they are very very fragile and first one to hit a propeller sees the other one fall out the sky, game over. Even if you protect the props they still seem quite easy to unbalance and get them heading groundward

4 hours ago, RJames said:

It was fine, very very very similar to the original.

Which given how much has changed since then is ridiculous. It should've always been called remote-controlled car wars and in this day and age even more so.

A robot, by definition, should have some degree of autonomy. University teams would be more than capable of building something like what was shown, but which can navigate and engage autonomously. You'd have to change the arena to make it a bit more sensor friendly but it's totally possible. There are already things like robot football matches that have been happening for years now.

Why isn't this moving with the times *at all* ?
What about a separate league just for battling aerial drones (again, these would have to be autonomous)?

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

EDIT: Ok, so googled some autonomous robot battle on YouTube and they are all pretty lame so far :( - like two Roombas fighting, basically.
But surely we can't be far off ?! I want to see two Boston Dynamics creations fighting...

Whilst I want this the an AI challenge as much as engineering I don't see it happening.

I think people massively underestimate the effort to make AI do anything in an essentially random environment in real time. For these to do anything other than dumbly move towards movement or avoid walls would be an achievement. Getting them to use a weapon in any way even make agrssive "plays" seems unlikely.

The hope that complex equipment would survive any violent impact is pushing it. Look at when carbide's own weapon threw it in the air against sloped surfaces. Could sensors survive that fall without at least being misaligned. And then consider how it reacts if it can still see after doing a triple backflip. It's lost any reference of its location.

And then make this work on a shoestring home budget.

1 hour ago, JPickford said:

I really enjoyed this.  Nuts was brilliant - easily the most entertaining. I loved that they were allowed those little mini-robots.

I believe they were within the rules before, but with the lower weight limit back then, they weren't going to be effective. 

http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/documents/Build-Rules.pdf is an interesting read. No fire or tasers allowed, but tethered projectiles are ok and drones would need approval. You can have autonomous weapons, so an axe that fires when it's in range for example. 

I thought that was great. Razer are just a comedy team at this point, which I'm not too sure they know. I think I miss Craig Charles, as whilst Dara was definitely funnier he didn't make it feel even more ridiculous and I kinda missed that but I'm very happy to have it back on TV.

On 25/07/2016 at 17:29, RJames said:

That's the other slight disappointment about this series: spinners and wedges are going to dominate again, exactly like 15 years ago.... ?

I'm not sure that they can re-boot basic physics just because they're on TV again. Obviously a wedge has more uses than any other shape and a spinner can hit more times than any other weapon.

Regarding Razer, that team are currently running a bigger, better robot in this year's Battlebots which may explain their not giving many shits about the comedy way their old robot perished down the pit in this one.

Anyone else watching Battlebots? Interesting to compare and contrast with Robot Wars, I actually think it's a lot more interesting and entertaining. No pit, no house robots, 1v1 matches only, but somehow much more carnage.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I liked it, mostly due to Nuts. I actually thought with some modifications the chains could work on some of the robots, it managed to get caught up in the frame of another, but only after it's own frame had broken loose. Razor I remembered from the old show, there was a big hoopla about it's precision laser engineered weapon. Carbide was easily the best, but  I reckon behemoth could take it in the right circumstances. 

On 27/07/2016 at 13:01, Dom B said:

Anyone else watching Battlebots? Interesting to compare and contrast with Robot Wars, I actually think it's a lot more interesting and entertaining. No pit, no house robots, 1v1 matches only, but somehow much more carnage.

Yup, Battlebots is so much better and a far more entertaining program. The quality and destructive power of the robots is much higher and they don't have anywhere near as many gimmicks. 

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 14:08, Mr Cochese said:

Someone should totally make a robot that dispenses caltrops all over the arena, which it doesn't care about because it has big wheels or something.

I think that's against the rules. You're not allowed separate "bits" (unless they're other robots).

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 21:25, Plissken said:

I liked it.  More fighting that the old one, a better format.  Not been a fan of Craig Charles and he'll not come up with anything funnier than some of the stuff Dara said these evening.  Hated the Nuts guys at the start, but warmed to them by the end for simply not giving up.  Carbide take over the mantle of Team Smug after Razer yet again self-destruct when it matters.

Yeah.  Entertaining stuff.

I had exactly the same reaction!

I really enjoyed it overall. Not 100% sold on the new format (particularly the FFA at the start, as everyone's said) but it's a lot of fun.

Happened to catch a repeat from series 5 on Challenge this week that featured not only Razer, but Widows' Revenge - a robot built and operated by Team Razer's wives. The gimmick was that they were fed up with never seeing their men so decided to build a machine of their own so that they could challenge them. I always liked those kinds of shenanigans.

On 7/28/2016 at 09:35, Weavus said:

Yup, Battlebots is so much better and a far more entertaining program. The quality and destructive power of the robots is much higher and they don't have anywhere near as many gimmicks. 

It's immense, I love Battlebots. Watching Poison Arrow (off camber spinning drum at the front) hurl number 2 seed Son of Whyachi across the room last week was fantastic. I mean, look at SOW in this clip:

He had previously utterly destroyed other opponents at only 50% power to the spinner, but dialed it up to 100% for this one. And yet, the little bot who weighed so little they squeaked in a drone sat steady on the floor while SOW goes for a fly.

Brilliant.