Robot Wars Returns - Sunday 8pm BBC2

Gotters

I loved this. I especially enjoyed watching a group of science class kids, accompanied by their enthusiastic teacher watch in horror as their 12 month project is destroyed by some lone middle aged weirdo who just put wheels on a pneumatic hammer.

I'd imagine it'll be a bit more sophisticated this time.

I liked the flippy robot that beat the Rasor robot - those Rasor blokes were smug wankers. They even had uniforms.

Commentary needs to be Jonathan Pearce or the WWF guy Vince McMahon.

Angela Scanlon is the co-host.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-03/meet-new-robot-wars-presenter-angela-scanlon

Angela_rte_3-620x434.jpg

Tbh I'm dissappointed Charles isn't coming back. Dara is a lazy choice imo. He seems to be the go to presenter for anything vaguely science'y... and often (for me) comes across as a bit smug.

The fashion stylist co-host doesn't bode too well either. Ok, make some concession for female eye candy, even if it is the 21st century.. but they could have gone for someone who might come across as having genuine enthusiam or interest for the subject. Ok she'd never do it, but how about Maise Williams? Someone a bit tomboyish. Or give a break to some female science grad with an interest in media.

She's kind of geeky with the freckles and gingerness and she'll probably wear big glasses. Classic TV though, ugly, older, funny guy alongside attractive, young woman. Craig Charles and the guy who did Scrapheap Challenge would've been good - no women required.

I hope they just keep the old formula but they won't. Me and my Dad loved this and Scrapheap Challenge.

I remember watching Robot Wars at Sunday lunchtimes. Was that the repeat? That's what my memories are tied into, anyway. Brings back very specific feelings of eating eggs and sausages and worrying about my A-level homework.

Robot Wars really was the nerdiest thing ever, wasn't it. Engineering nerds, electronics nerds. I actually hope they don't try to jazz it up under the banner of "geek" - because it's not geek, it's pure grade-A nerd stuff.

You are right it isn't really geek at all. The difference between nerd and geek is old men don't tend to understand geek subjects. My granddad clearly understood how the robots worked though when I watched it with him as a kid because it was all electronics and engineering based which was always one of the cool things about the show to me, that anyone could understand the technology (he is a retired electrician but still).

I hope having Dara means that Brian Cox will keep appearing in some kind of spurious technical expert role. Those two seem to come as a package nowadays.

The co-presenter looks like she'll be pretty great at causing the roboteers to stare at their shoes during the traditional awkward pit interviews.

I wonder if they will allow new stuff like flame jets and multiple robots like the reboot of Battlebots (pretty good if you fast forward all the sports center presenter bullshit) has done in the states. The Razer guys were on the first season with a new robot, well worth downloading if you liked RW.

I loved this. I especially enjoyed watching a group of science class kids, accompanied by their enthusiastic teacher watch in horror as their 12 month project is destroyed by some lone middle aged weirdo who just put wheels on a pneumatic hammer.

That's pretty much what Dara said in the announcement. :D

For too long, the schedules have cried out for a show in which dedicated amateurs, toiling day and night, handcraft sophisticated automatons built on the delicate interplay of hand-wired servo motors with custom-built circuit boards and fingertip motion control, just to see them get smashed to pieces by a dustbin carrying a massive hammer.

As much as I loved robot wars in the day and it was probably the best that was possible at the time it was really Remote Controlled Car Wars. Yes I get that robots don't have to be autonomous but some part of me wants to be scared shitless watching some autonomous AI controlled metal composter with tracks and a sledgehammer beat up a local school's NXT based Plastic box.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ones from the Channel 5 era? The BBC probably don't own the rights to them.

Glad there was no sign of the ref-bot. I can't help feeling those weights are ridiculous, but I suppose for house robots it doesn't really matter...

This just started back up in the US (albeit called BattleBots) and have been watching it with the kids. I don't think they realized the bot fighting from Big Hero 6 was grounded in a bit of reality. Anyway, they're now asking to build a robot.

Glad I bought that Humble book bundle with a load of Pi robot related stuff now.

The advent of tiny computers like the Raspberry Pi has the potential to completely transform something like this, really. Even in the original Robot Wars era I wondered what you could achieve with a cheapo microprocessor like a Motorola 6808 on board your robot, but never saw anyone try it - presumably because needing to be an embedded programmer made it very hard to achieve! The Pi will make it so much easier.

Having said that I'm not sure what you'd have your on-board computer do, really. Auto-flipping when your opponent is in the optimum position?