VN1X

Mr. Robot - Amazon video

mrrobot-key-art.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

By Sam Esmail

IMDB

ABOUT

The series follows Elliot Alderson, a young cyber-security engineer who assumes the role of a vigilante hacker by night. Elliot meets a mysterious anarchist known as "Mr. Robot" who recruits Elliot to join his team of hackers, "Fsociety". Elliot, who has a social anxiety disorder but connects to people by hacking them, is intrigued, but uncertain he wants to be part of the group. The show follows Mr. Robot's attempts to engage Elliot in his mission to destroy the corporation Elliot is paid to protect. Compelled by his personal beliefs, Elliot struggles to resist the chance to take down the multinational CEOs that are running (and ruining) the world.

CAST

45901_ori.jpg
Christian Slater
as Mr. Robot

45902_ori.jpg
Rami Malek
as Elliot

45903_ori.jpg
Carly Chaikin
as Marlene

45904_ori.jpg
Frankie Shaw
as Shayla

45905_ori.jpg
Gloria Rueben
as Krista

USA RENEWS MR. ROBOT FOR SEASON TWO

On the same day that it debuted the first episode of its new cyber-action series Mr. Robot, USA Network announced that it will pick up a second season. The series -- which stars Christian Slater as the man who plans on bringing down corporate America, and Rami Malek as the young computer programmer Slater hopes will help him -- premiered to strong reviews this week, after a particularly buzzy launch at this year's South By Southwest Festival in March. "We knew from the moment we read Sam Esmail's provocative script, and witnessed the brilliant performances of Rami Malek and Christian Slater, that Mr. Robot is a stand-out series that is unlike anything currently on television," USA Network president Chris McCumber said in a statement. "The overwhelmingly positive fan reactions to the pilot and the broad sampling of it, reaffirms our confidence in the series, and we're excited to see where this timely drama will take us for season two." Season one is currently Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes at 96 percent.

You should watch this. It is good.

'You have a choice. Carry on being a smackhead loser or bring down Evil Corp...

Evil Corp for fucks sake. It's like The Matrix with all the awesome kung Fu swapped with IT support.

Watched the first episode when it was out there a while ago, and I'll give episode 2 a bash when it airs.

Hoping it'll be decent, need a good new series to get stuck into. Haven't quite got into Sense 8 which was disappointing.

Evil Corp for fucks sake. It's like The Matrix with all the awesome kung Fu swapped with IT support.

Yeah that's the only thing I didn't really 'get'? I mean Evil Corp is a bit on the nose isn't it. I thought it was simply how the characters referred to the company but it's also on its advertising posters?

Was a bit flippant about this last night, but to be fair I must say it's well put together. Decent cast and zips along at a good old pace. I will keep watching for now.

Stand by my Matrix with IT comment though. I kept expecting Sir Slater to whop out a blue and red pill.

Yeah that's the only thing I didn't really 'get'? I mean Evil Corp is a bit on the nose isn't it. I thought it was simply how the characters referred to the company but it's also on its advertising posters?

That was in the episode.. Elliot said he has thought that about them for so long that he automatically replaces E with 'Evil' in his head.. and the show is all seen from his perspective..

That one scene where he turns up at the fairground and speaks to Darlene (the FSociety girl) is either a deliberate red herring or seemed to fairly clumsily point at..

Slater being Elliot's Tyler Durden

I watched the first one, and it is very much Fight Club without the fighting so far.

I'll keep on with it for a bit, but I feel like they did a lot of damage to Eliot's isolated, paranoid persona by having him sleep with his dealer neighbour in the very first episode. American producers seem utterly terrified that we won't be able to relate to a character if they don't have a love interest or aren't actively 'getting some'.

• Upvote 1

Episode 2 was a bit good. I mean that title card even! What a show.

Some random words:

The writing might be a bit on the nose sometimes but I don't really mind it to be honest. It's incredibly 'to-the-point' and doesn't bullshit the viewer. The hacking scenes are handled great in that regard as well and while some terminology might be wasted on the regular viewer, for those even slightly familiar with IT (and I expect most on here) it's authentic stuff. Plus no unnecessary 'hacking noises' or excessive slick animation on the screen which usually plague these types of shows or films.

This is going to be so much fun. I really wish I could find a link to just show the first 3 minutes of the episode, the way it's framed/shot is just fantastic. Check this out you guys!

Ooh, episode 2 is out there? Good stuff. I liked the first episode.

Here's hoping it doesn't suffer the Slater kiss of death. That man can't catch a break.

Only just finished watching episode 1. Not really sure how we're supposed to root (lol) for the main weirdo when he comes across as a composite of all those people who post "I see stupid people everywhere" all over Facebook. Maybe episode 2 will be a bit less painful.

They're not actually called Evil Corp. In fact, that ties into the central tension of the show. The writing is really on-the-nose, but there's an uneasy sense that we're seeing an altered version of reality through the eyes of an unreliable narrator. It would be a bigger twist to go the other way at this point, two episodes in and about 75% of the audience are convinced

Slater isn't real.

Seems like a red herring, the guy even did an AMA and said his favourite film was

Fight Club

:lol:

I really like it so far :)

I hope it's two steps ahead of the viewer though. I'd kind of love it if say, the psychiatrist was imaginary. :lol:

You just can't knock a show that calls Steve Jobs a poser and pokes fun of Blackberry in the first episode.

The show title card is indeed great - though the rest of the show is losing me a bit. It gets some things really right, and other things really wrong. They have multiple exposition devices in the form of the voiceover, Mr Robot's personal interest, and the therapist, and it feels like being smashed over the head with dry backstory.

Too many sexualised female characters and a charm-free lead. It's like a focus-grouped 4chan fantasy, though the producers would probably be smart to go after that demographic.

"Techxter" was pretty good though, have a pos!

The similarities to the social network are numerous btw. Even the promo pic I used for the first post is almost copied from that film. Not saying that's a bad thing but some scenes make this look like a sequel to Fincher's work.

There's a sort-of link there. It's directed by the guy who directed the girl with the dragon tattoo, which was remade by Fincher.

I'm enjoying this.

I haven't picked up on any obvious errors, which is something that completely spoils anything that tries to market itself as technically accurate.

It's got a fight-club meets limitless vibe for me, and I've yet to decide if everything's in his head, but the wife has also stuck with the first two episodes so that has to count for something.

Well that was utterly fantastic again.

Riddle me this though, why does every major series now have

Spoiler

gay scenes coming out of the goddamned walls? I'm perfectly fine with it, I mean I love me some proper man on man action but it seems that western tv/film makers are simply showing it to create some sort of 'controversy!'. Meh. 

With the use of violence as a way to escape corporate drudgery, I'm now starting to wonder if this didn't start life as an attempt to make a Fight Club series that didn't wind up getting the licence. Also, if you find 'Society' and 'Club' to be interchangeable....

There's just enough to keep me watching for now, despite finding myself picking holes constantly while watching.

I keep imagining the direction of the exposition-tastic voiceover: "Flatter! Less interesting! We need our audience to have no idea why so many people are drawn to this drab husk."

I just watched the first episode.

"a charm-free lead."

I kind of think that's the point. The guy is an judgemental aspie loner who hates facebook, has a drug habit and an over-inflated sense of his own worth, I immediately identified. Apart from the crying due to loneliness and fucking the hot drug dealer everything else rang true.

The "evil" corp thing - is that really their name? I think he's hallucinating or making a lot of this stuff up in his head. Slater even gave a bit of Morpheus's intro speech to Neo in The Matrix. When he said "money" I actually though he was going to say "The Matrix dude".

Something really annoyed me though. How he was slagging the "non-techy" for having a blackberry whilst wearing apple ear buds to listen to his music, really bad research as no self-respecting techy would wear those, you may as well have had him wearing Beats headphones.

Anyway, really enjoyed it, grabbed the next two which I'll watch over the next few evenings. I see episode 4 is out tomo too.

I just watched the first episode.

"a charm-free lead."

I kind of think that's the point. The guy is an judgemental aspie loner who hates facebook, has a drug habit and an over-inflated sense of his own worth, I immediately identified. Apart from the crying due to loneliness and fucking the hot drug dealer everything else rang true.

It's obviously the point - this show has no guile at all - but if you're going to make an outcast commit to it. Don't give him the trappings of a vocationally successful, irresisitible to multiple women, omniscient-to-the-point-of-super-powers Robert Downey Jr or something. That part of the writing seems to be a wank fantasty aimed at 4Chan types, or just old-fashioned lazy. Hell, they'd probably add more to his character if they made it seem as if he was some PUA nerd.

Good to hear Keith David in an uncredited role as Qwerty the fish.

The "cool" hacker girl is fucking annoying. She seems way too dumb and airheaded to be have any real skills.

Also Tyrell (more on the nose!) is a weird character. Why was he having gay sex with that guy from work? Why did he beat up the tramp - surely he could get his kicks doing martial arts?