rllmuk
rubberducker

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

14 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Why would he do that? It was great.

Opinions. At least we can all agree it’s lacklustre performance wasn’t really because of online trolls.

1 hour ago, Mugman said:

and making a movie that looked like everything else

Taking your phrase literally: Solo's unusually (and unappealingly) dark cinematography meant it didn't look like everything else. ;)

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Taking your phrase literally: Solo's unusually (and unappealingly) dark cinematography meant it didn't look like everything else. ;)

That was my main complaint with it. I actually thought the film was really good fun, and enjoyed the performances. Ehrenreich and Glover did an excellent job of channeling Solo and Calrissian without doing impressions of Ford and Williams.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Why would he do that? It was great.

Not sure how anyone could define Solo as great (unless they have a very low bar).

About the best praise that can be bestowed upon it is - it was competent. Which is best thing you can say about any of Ron Howard's work (and why he got the gig).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Not sure how anyone could define Solo as great (unless they have a very low bar).

About the best praise that can be bestowed upon it is - it was competent. Which is best thing you can say about any of Ron Howard's work (and why he got the gig).

It was great. Not as great as Apollo 13  , but still great

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Oh man, the cinematographer defending his use of ultra low light shooting was the worst. Well, until the guy defending THAT Game of Thrones episode's low light cinematography. 

Worst cases of "No, it's the children who are wrong" ever ever. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Opinions. At least we can all agree it’s lacklustre performance wasn’t really because of online trolls.

Not sure it's performance is a measure of much more than performance. I'm not saying this is a classic, but there are plenty of classics which had lacklustre performance or even totally bombed at the box office.

I thought Solo looked gorgeous - a really unusual aesthetic for a blockbuster film, and completely different from the kind of bright, clean look you tend to get in, say, Marvel films. The murky, rich look really works for a story about a murky, amoral gang of criminals, and sets Han’s world apart from Rey and Finn’s.

• Upvote 7

I agree the stylistic choice itself was to be lauded, it was the implementation that was awry. 

The cinematographer, Brandon Young (?) blamed theatres for not projecting at the right levels, using poor bulbs. But the trailers on any other media make a lie of this, as the interiors are not suddenly and significantly brighter. That implies he knew it was too dark, but shifted the blame anyway, to avoid criticism. 

Here's some screens I took from the 4K trailer of random interior setups (resized cos of forum size limits) 

Screenshot_20190605-192620_1559759471923.thumb.jpg.9df72f673c8372875f846f52539ce05c.jpg

Screenshot_20190605-192544_1559759433803.thumb.jpg.57811bf2c0d17624261abed4236ac0be.jpg

Screenshot_20190605-192525_1559759390448.thumb.jpg.31d53a0ad78c2ab43d3809da5089cb7e.jpg

Screenshot_20190605-192403_1559759302089.thumb.jpg.34a38234ef10e4d01c908256d1009087.jpg

Screenshot_20190605-192453_1559759355074.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Ironically Solo is a much, much better film than Black Panther or Ghostbusters or Captain Marvel.

Indeed it is

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d say all those shots look beautiful, apart from maybe the last one of Lando. The third and fourth ones in particular are stunning - Han in a Baroque painting, and the Falcon as some mythological beast, looming out of the mist. 

• Upvote 7

I do like the composition, for sure. It's fair to say Howard's not exactly renowned for his visual style, and this is by far his best-looking feature. 

27 minutes ago, Treble said:

I do like the composition, for sure. It's fair to say Howard's not exactly renowned for his visual style, and this is by far his best-looking feature. 

Rush, Backdraft,  the Grinch and The Missing all look amazing 

I don't blame Howard for the look of the film. That would have been set in stone already and he'd have had to roll with what he had. 

But the bit at the start when it's all in blue! I can't see ANYTHING!!! Similar when they go get the Falcon too. I had to squint and it didn't help.

I'm all for a different look and trying some stuff. Star Wars is meant to look a bit dirty. But it was fundamentally broken. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

How many of those shots are Lord N miller and how many Rons though. 

https://theplaylist.net/solo-bradford-young-lord-miller-20180529/

When Ron Howard came aboard ‘Solo,’ you would think that the director would be ecstatic about working with Young. However, as the DP tells it, that wasn’t necessarily the case. Before filming, Young asked Howard if the filmmaker would have hired him to be the cinematographer on ‘Solo,’ the director was brutally honest. “And Ron, in that sweet Ron Howard fashion, said ‘Probably not.’ But he asked me to stay. I suppose he liked what he saw,” admitted Young

Ron was working with what he had. 

• Upvote 1

All of Bradford Young’s stuff looks like that, he pretty much sets it entirely in-camera on set. He’s an exceptional cinematographer and I think looks amazing, although I’ll admit that perhaps it’s a bit incongruous with the knock-about tone of the film. It may have been a better fit for something more downbeat like Rogue One.

It’s probably safe for me to say that the film always had the same look.

Something the entire industry is having to compete with at the moment is people equating bright/colourful/high contrast imagery with ‘good’ lighting/HDR, it’s a highly subjective issue. He was absolutely right about cinemas and projection levels though, it’s partially a money saving exercise by not running the bulbs at the correct brightness and partially because most multiplexes are automated and there’s nobody manually checking whether the projectors are still set up for 3D. I saw Avengers Endgame in 2D and literally couldn’t see what was happening in the darker scenes (Tony in space, Hawkeye in Tokyo), and that’s a relatively bright film. 

• Upvote 2

I think both you and K are correct in that what Young does is pretty, but good aesthetics are not the only measure of good cinematography. 

He's on record as saying he likes shooting at the lowest exposure possible, as that's where digital photography produces its richest images, but that doesn't make it the right technical choice. 

Kubrick managed a candlelit scene in Barry Lyndon only by using an f/0.7 lens that was specially crafted for NASA. You can't just decide you want a rich and subtle look by using the wrong kit and a far too low exposure; cameras just don't work like that.