rllmuk
rubberducker

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

IDGI. :(

Sky clearly have a massive amount of dirt on Idris as he pimps their wares at every opportunity. I’d imagine he’s referring to that 

• Upvote 1

Second time of watching, as before was quite enjoying it until the train set piece, then it was “mynok roast” and “open a cantina, somewhere warm”

eugh. that’s not dialogue. To think old Kasdan was aghast at Lord and Miller changing his script. So we got this.

• Upvote 1

On 26/11/2018 at 17:17, K said:

I felt that Solo wasn't too bad for in-jokes about stuff that Han does later on in his life. The speeder-on-its-side thing didn't even occur to me as a reference to something that happens in another film, and the bit where Solo gets handed his gun was handled relatively matter-of-factly - he just gets tossed it by Woody Harrelson. You can recognise it as his trademark weapon, but it's not like dramatic music plays over a crash zoom in onto the gun while it's bathed in light, like he's just had a rare weapon drop in an RPG. There are little references to the later films, but they're not the point of a scene. It's just detail.

I've finally watched it now and I take back what I said: it was, after all, just literally a shot of the easily recognizable blaster. Nothing much to get upset about as seems to have been happening in the thread. The film in general however, was merely a fairly competent if flawed and pointless diversion in the Star Wars universe.

• Upvote 2

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/04/star-wars-trolls-solo-box-office-ron-howard

Ron Howard has blamed the disappointing box office of Solo: A Star Wars Story on an online trolling campaign.

Speaking on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, the film’s director said that, while he noticed “pushback” from the previous Star Wars film, The Last Jedi, he felt “aggressive trolling” was a crucial factor.

“It was pretty interesting,” Howard said. “It was especially noticeable prior to the release of the movie. Several of the algorithms, whether it was Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes, there was an inordinate push down on the ‘Want to see’ [score on Rotten Tomatoes] and on the fan voting.”

On its release in May 2018, Solo – a standalone “anthology” Star Wars film filling in the backstory of Han Solo – underperformed at the box office, with a global take of $393m (£310m), well below the $1.06bn of the Franchise’s previous anthology film, Rogue One, released in 2016. Industry commentators largely ascribed its failure to “franchise fatigue”, with Disney CEO Bob Iger admitting the company had made a mistake in releasing Solo only six months after The Last Jedi.

Review aggregator sites such as Rotten Tomatoes have been the focus of negative campaigning, with The Last Jedi targeted – as also happened with Black Panther and Ghostbusters – by trolls attempting to lower its scores. Howard said that “friends in Silicon Valley had explained” to him what the pattern of voting meant. In 2019, Rotten Tomatoes announced it was adjusting its site rules after a barrage of negative comments for Captain Marvel, prior to the film’s release.

No user reviews are currently available on the film’s Rotten Tomatoes site, while Metacritic’s users rate it at 6.2, compared to 7.6 for Rogue One.

• Empathy 1

I’m sure that accounted for some of it, but I doubt most people take much notice, or are even aware, of online campaigns to discredit a film. Maybe most people who saw it simply thought it was poor and that’d get passed on through word of mouth as well as limiting repeat viewings. If it was as simple as he’s making out, then why didn’t it affect Black Panther or Captain Marvel in the same way?

• Upvote 2

Amazing lack of insight there from the director. 

Delude yourself all you want Ron. But it was a movie that was released four months after a film, that completely fractured the fanbase - and as a result no-one was in the mood for any more Disney EU bullshit.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

It should have been released in December as previously planned, enough time for those upset at TLJ’s tone to have calmed down and the hype machine would have had more momentum.  The film itself is fine, not as good as R1, but nowhere near as bad as people made out.

• Upvote 9

Yep, anecdote ahoy but I know of at least two people that did not see Solo because of TLJ and I would imagine that, along with the "sent out to die" release date, are the key reasons for Solo's failure.

I do wonder if the TLJ fan fracture will negatively impact Rise of Skywalker in any way. Perhaps that 2 year gap will bring some back to at least see how this trilogy ends. 

• Upvote 2

Rise Of The Skywalker will do fine critically and commercially. But the nostalgic love affair with SW is over. 

I feel TLJ really damaged the SW brand for a lot of people. And that isn't just about one film. The film's lack of cohesion and poor structure, exposed a deeper truth we all should have known. Disney didn't really give a shit about legacy. Nor creating a story worthy of what had come before. It cared about impressing its share holders. And hitting unrelentingly short release windows at all costs. And all that with no one shepherding the franchise.  The "gigantic multi-generational, multi-film beast" that defined the idea of what a cinematic sequel should be - was running out of control with no clear idea of where the story was headed - or what should happen next....

That was always going to end badly.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

I think the biggest problem with Solo was that a) no-one was really that arsed about how he met Chewbacca and got his pistol, and b) no-one was that bothered about the character being played by someone other than Harrison Ford. 

Sure trolls may may have played a part, but I think that Star Wars fans weren’t that excited by the premise, the trailer seemed to be cagey about Alden’s performance, and the general public just weren’t arsed. 

• Upvote 2

Just wait for knights of the old republic , people will lose their shit again

it will bring balance to the franchise 

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Ivanho said:

It should have been released in December as previously planned, enough time for those upset at TLJ’s tone to have calmed down and the hype machine would have had more momentum.  The film itself is fine, not as good as R1, but nowhere near as bad as people made out.

I dunno if that would have helped really.

I fucking hated TLJ (yeah we know, we know), but nothing can dampen my enthusiasm for Star Wars and I’ll always give the next one to come along a go without any prejudice from the piece of shit that preceded it. That’s exactly what I did with Solo, but I just found it bland and boring. It’s not the worst film I’ve ever seen, but it’s utterly pointless and forgettable. Not something a film about Han Solo should be.

The problem it had wasn’t trolls, or people being so upset about TLJ that they wanted to take it out on Solo, or it being released when it was. It was that it was simply a pretty shit film, that nobody was raving about. A proper shame for the legacy of the character.

I’m still looking forward to Episode IX though and even if that isn’t great, I’ll be looking forward to whatever comes after. I reckon they’ll get it right one day.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’m still looking forward to Episode IX though and even if that isn’t great, I’ll be looking forward to whatever comes after. I reckon they’ll get it right one day.

I’m hoping ‘The Mandalorian’ will be the thing to do just that.

I would consider myself a pretty big Star Wars fan and Solo is the first film I’ve not seen at the cinema (I didn’t see the original trilogy at the time but did when they showed them years later) and I haven’t watched it at home despite it being recorded on the TiVo... I’m pretty sure it isn’t the trolls that got to me, the middling reviews made it easy enough to skip the cinema but if I’m honest I don’t really know why I haven’t seen it!

I have also never been in this thread until a couple of days ago and only then just read the last couple of pages as I picked up Solo on 4k Blu-ray cheaply the other day, I rewatched TLJ to get in the mood and then A New Hope to remember why I love Star Wars! I will poss watch Solo today and report back...

I still think the biggest hit on Solo was the poor word of mouth. Or more like the "it's okay" word of mouth. It probably still packed a fair few people in on it's first weekend (not as many as it would have over xmas holidays tho). But following that, I know I didn't see it in the cinema because it was just okay. I think it only has itself to blame.

Now I've seen it, I enjoy it. But the same way I like the rubbish Star Trek films or a Carry On film. I was pissed at ST: Nemesis at the cinema, but I've still seen it and "enjoyed"/endured it several times at home. 

It's a bit of a shame as I think follow up films would be good now they got through the teething pains of an unnecessary origin ...but it's a bloody mess. Visually terrible and hard to make anything out, jumping from one very CGI set piece to the next, with the groan inducing fan wank origins of things to build a character that was essentially done in 5 seconds in Star Wars when he looked all cool and shit shooting first. 

I know anecdotes aren’t data and you have to take my view with a grain of salt being a complete TLJ apologist but 100% of my friends who skipped Solo did so based on their disappointment or hatred of TLJ.

And none of them are noisy trolls. They just quietly walked away. With a fractured fan base Disney needs to decide who it can afford to piss off and who it can’t. And commercially they’d be better off courting core fans and ignoring TLJ fans.

10 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

I know anecdotes aren’t data and you have to take my view with a grain of salt being a complete TLJ apologist but 100% of my friends who skipped Solo did so based on their disappointment or hatred of TLJ.

And none of them are noisy trolls. They just quietly walked away. With a fractured fan base Disney needs to decide who it can afford to piss off and who it can’t. And commercially they’d be better off courting core fans and ignoring TLJ fans.

75% of my friends were just "disinterested" with Disney's Star Wars after TLJ (and these are huge nerds/fans, lots of EU content and games etc). 

Also no one, even that wierdo that love TLJ ;P, cared about Solo. They didn't have burning unanswered questions about his past/history (and if they did they'd already read a pretty good version of in the EU that Disney burnt) and they had no interest in the characters played by younger/different actors. Even if the TLJ had been the greatest thing ever I think I'd have struggled to muster enthusiasm for Solo.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure TLJ's reception hurt it, but I'd tend to agree that also it just smelled off in its own right. It was well-known they'd had to send the guy off for acting classes before doing reshoots. That's supposedly not even that bad, just trying to coach more Harrison out of him, but it doesn't inspire confidence. Then there's the massive change of director and rework of the film. Then there's the issue that it's not got a compelling pitch. Then there's the issue of how rapidly Disney were trying to milk their golden goose - it was 4 films in pretty quick succession.

I'm sure some of the proper hardcore Star Wars misogynists went out to try and hurt it as a massive self-own in the wake of TLJ, but I don't believe it's the critical factor - as someone else said upthread, that doesn't seem to have damaged Captain Marvel or Black Panther to any measurable degree.

• Upvote 5

They would have been better off just sticking with lord and Miller I think just because then at least it might have been something different. 

Instead it was almost the most expected daft,  cliche origin story beats for han solo attached to an alright generic space adventure movie.

Also the whole baddie twist / reveal and plot line made it worse too, it would have been better without any of that, just tales about smuggling for the big worm. The one allergic to light that lives in a room with very easily breakable windows...

Or even han being in the imperial academy and how he learned how to do the Kessel run. 

It was just too much of a Frankenstein I think, Ron could have probably done a better movie if he had it the whole time too.

It is a shame that Solo performed bad enough that an onscreen sequel appears to be off the table. It obviously ends in such a way for a follow up to happen but we are now likely to get a comic or novel at best wrapping up Qi'ra's story.

• Upvote 1

Another massive part of it - which I'd say is probably the real genuine cause - is that it came out at a really bad time, basically only a few weeks after Avengers : Infinity War and something else that was hyped. 

It really should have come out at Christmas time of that year, and I bet then it would of performed a lot better. 

• Upvote 3

There's a cracking $60-80million Solo film out there. Nothing to do with his origin, just him and Chewie going about weird planets having individual stories that either tie up in a neat little bow OR lead onto more adventures. Directed by interesting directors like, oh I don't know, someone who took a Spider Man origin movie and made it the most interesting individual blockbuster of the year? 

Sadly, Disney saw how well Force Awakens and in particular Rogue One did and decided that everything Star Wars needed to be a billion dollar grossing event movie. So they ended up playing it safe and making a movie that looked like everything else, was about shit nobody cared about, and didn't release it in an event movie time slot so that it didn't clash with Mary Poppins Returns. They also spent $250 million to do this because Phil and Chris upset the Kasdans. 

It's a shame. The movie is fine, brilliant in places, awful in others. Disney should pay Lord and Miller to have another crack at it with this cast in an animated venture. Let them write it, let them direct it, base it on the continuing stories of Han ByHimself and the blaster he found up his bum or wherever it was. 

• Upvote 1

So all these different anecdotes we have about it are right, yet none of them seem to be because of the reason the director thinks. Maybe he should have just come out and admitted that it wasn’t very good.

Honestly, I think Ron Howard is a pretty kind-hearted, super polite kind of guy, and I think this is his way of offering a relatively simple explanation for the film's relative box-office failure that doesn't lay the blame at too many people's feet; his attempt to avert a complicated conversation that might draw in lot of other people for blame. Like, he essentially blames it on an algorithm, rather than eg. the director of TLJ, or whoever was in charge of marketing the movie, or whoever oversaw the clumsy production process or whoever decided to release it so soon after another Star Wars movie etc. etc. 

I also think the film is great and gets better with every viewing, and the last time I watched it, in sequence, there were moments in the later movies where it felt like Harrison Ford was channelling the young Han Solo rather than the other way round.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1