rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
rubberducker

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

12 minutes ago, Punished Smitty said:

Well, I rest my case about the entirely healthy attitude Star Wars mega-fans have to their bloated, grossly overexposed franchise. I congratulate RIKT on illustrating my argument perfectly, saving me the effort. 

Can someone direct to me a good, serious article or video addressing the pathology of this particular mental derangement - the modern virulent form of consumerist pop-culture fanboyism that is evidently infantalizing an entire generation of people? 

Because it's totally and utterly fascinating to me watching grown men regress in this way. 

Perhaps you should take a leaf out the Star Wars mega-fans book and focus on something that makes YOU happy. It could be life changing. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, RIKT said:

Perhaps you should take a leaf out the Star Wars mega-fans book and focus on something that makes you happy. It could be life changing. 

You seem incredibly sour for me someone that is supposedly very happy. Shouldn't you be really joyous, seeing as one of the world's biggest corporations is committed to profiting off shoving the reprocessed, repackaged desperate-longing-for-your-youth weaponised nostalgia of more Star Wars shite down your gullet for the rest of your life?

You should be over the moon, shouldn't you? And yet you're inordinately infuriated by one person leaving a sarcastic comment in a thread about one of the 2,256 pieces of Star Wars flavoured money-bait you're going to be desperately and obsessively pining over for the next while?

Grow up, you fucking pathetic man-child dweeb. It's never coming back, ever ever ever. Your childhood is fucking toast, mate. It's gone. 

You're 43 years of age. Get a fucking grip.

• Upvote 5

Hahaha. Do you know what...

I've had a wonderful weekend thanks for asking. Meeting and engaging in a joyous shared experience with tens of thousands of like minded people has been one of the best experiences of my life. I've made friends and aquaintances with people from all over the world who I share a common bond with. 

I've felt first hand the love and passion that seeps out of every pore of the people responsible for what you term as Star Wars money-bait. 

And you deem that unhealthy? What have you done all weekend? Sat behind your keyboard and obsessed about the troubles in the world and hated things? I know which I'd rather be doing. 

It's the culture shock of coming back into contact with you and your posts that's taken a tiny shine off things, and that's the only reason I felt the need to reply in the first place. 

May the Force be with you x

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, RIKT said:

Hahaha. Do you know what...

I've had a wonderful weekend thanks for asking. Meeting and engaging in a joyous shared experience with tens of thousands of like minded people has been one of the best experiences of my life. I've made friends and aquaintances with people from all over the world who I share a common bond with. 

I've felt first hand the love and passion that seeps out of every pore of the people responsible for what you term as Star Wars money-bait. 

And you deem that unhealthy? What have you done all weekend? Sat behind your keyboard and obsessed about the troubles in the world and hated things? I know which I'd rather be doing. 

It's the culture shock of coming back into contact with you and your posts that's taken a tiny shine off things, and that's the only reason I felt the need to reply in the first place. 

May the Force be with you x

I'm glad you had a good time. I mean that honestly. 

May the force be with you, too. 

• Upvote 1

I like Star Wars, but when people start talking about a Star Wars convention a bit like Tom Cruise hopping up and down on a sofa espousing the wisdom of L. Ron Hubbard, I must admit it makes me a feel a little uncomfortable.

• Upvote 5

RIKT, dude. You're making the Star Wars fans look bad. Smitty's wrong about hating something for referencing things we love, of course he is. But he has the right to his opinion in the same way you do without being personally attacked for being "constantly negative". He actually posts quite a lot of insightful stuff, just balance his opinion against your own and walk away and enjoy all of the Star Wars conferences and whatever else you like. 

You're a Brexiter walking along the high street shouting it's not racist to want Britain to be British, whilst also telling people they're going to have to go "back where they come from" in a passive aggresive jokey manner. We get the idea. You like your idea of Britain (Star Wars) in the same way Smitty likes his idea of Britain (Star Wars again). Insulting people personally wont get anyone anywhere. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Punished Smitty said:

Grow up, you fucking pathetic man-child dweeb. It's never coming back, ever ever ever. Your childhood is fucking toast, mate. It's gone. 

You're 43 years of age. Get a fucking grip.

57 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Insulting people personally wont get anyone anywhere. 

You're not wrong.

They'll definitely have to be careful with this one, it's a key character to screw up. There's less material for Fett, so they have more leeway.

That said, this was the only way it was going to be, after writing a cheque for $4bn. Even without the Disney deal, or even the prequels, Star Wars was everywhere. It's over exposed itself, something you just have to deal with if you don't like it. 

I wouldn't tar all the keen fans with the RIKT brush.

Edit- I'm very happy.

Jesus Christ, I personally find Smitty's need to post the same thing 800 times a little tiring sometimes (especially when he makes a reasonable point but then just repeatedly posts references to said argument instead of posting the actual information), but that's got to be the closest anyone has gotten for a while to his crazy level.

Smitty: It's fucking PATHETIC that grown adults can't see that Star Wars scripts are now being churned out by a fucking robot so that they can produce 18 Star Wars films per minute to trick you into remortgaging your house for Star Wars tickets you pathetic fucking child.

RIKT: No Smitty, only by accepting Disney's love will you be able to be truly happy and achieve your goals. Disney doesn't want your money, it wants to love you and nurture you for the good of the world, to create a brighter future by teaching you the true value of joy. I personally spent the weekend with Star Wars fans and now my bad leg works again.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Punished Smitty said:

Well, I rest my case about the entirely healthy attitude Star Wars mega-fans have to their bloated, grossly overexposed franchise. I congratulate RIKT on illustrating my argument perfectly, saving me the effort. 

Can someone direct to me a good, serious article or video addressing the pathology of this particular mental derangement - the modern virulent form of consumerist pop-culture fanboyism that is evidently infantalizing an entire generation of people? 

Because it's totally and utterly fascinating to me watching grown men regress in this way. 

Seriously man calm it the fuck down, I take my kids to watch a Star Wars movie, we all enjoy it and have a big smile on our faces, a great shared experience what's so wrong with that? I made a video this weekend of people in Star Wars cosplay saying happy birthday to my son and he was over the moon with it.  The thing is a lot of us man-child's actually have children who enjoy Star Wars, it's not just for me anymore it's for us. 

I'll agree it would be nice to move away from the OT but until they do I'll happily keep smiling with my kids. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I don't think many of us are under the illusion that this is anything but escapism. We all have adult lives and problems. We know that Star Wars (or Transformers, or video games, or whatever) is just pop culture, but it's our pop culture and we enjoy it.

• Upvote 2

On 6 May 2016 at 18:44, Benny said:

If you think Star Wars is some sort of thinking man's alternative to comic book movies I think you may need to go back and watch The Phantom Menace again.

No one in their right mind, apart from George Lucas, considers the prequels to be Star Wars movies. They're the abandoned showreel of a drunk CGI artist.

• Upvote 1

Yeah she's shocking and been lucky to land a role in the biggest TV is the world because its certainly helped her land bigger roles. She was awful in that abomination of a Terminator film.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You'd hope it's a minor role, because she's a dreadful actress.

She is reasonably high profile,  (by contrast I had to IMDB  Felicity Jones because I was aware of her but didn't know what she'd been in, not so Clarke) so   I don't think it's going to be  a minor role.

And  that terminator movie  was fine apart from the bit between the opening and closing credits.

They add in the blaster effects in post so at least she'll be able to fire a gun in this without turning into Blinky Ben.

• Upvote 1