rllmuk
rubberducker

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

The best I can muster is that it kept me entertained but overall it was a bit flat and familiar.  The best parts are when the original movie soundtrack kicks in. 

4 hours ago, K said:

Releasing a Star Wars film six months after the last one just seems like a really stupid idea. Does anyone know why they've gone for this date? The winter releases for the last three seem to have worked pretty well. Is it just trying to maintain the tradition of all the pre-Disney Star Wars films coming out in the summer?

Also, isn't the Xmas pretty quiet for releases?

Cant think of much at all - the new Fantastic Beasts maybe?

21 hours ago, Naieve said:

the movie is set in Blackpool? 

edit: actually I'd love to see a gritty northern reboot of the star wars franchise. 

There's a Geordie version - very old and poorly recorded, but kills me every time, makes me cry laughing.

I really enjoyed it. Thought the first half was stronger than the second, and it’s pretty much a nuts and bolts Star Wars movie. But after the troubled production, it delivered a brisk two hours of mostly fun heist japes, which isn’t too bad a return considering.

As much as Lando stole the show in the build-up, think Chewie is the film’s real MVP. Great seeing him get decent screen time. Had flashes to his mournful scream when Han dies in The Force Awakens, which added to their burgeoning relationship in this.

Not a flashy (ie inventive) film by any means, but never less than enjoyable. Looks stunning in places too. The leap in VFX the last few years is quite staggering.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Harsin said:

How were people's cinemas? Mine only had around 15 people in the showing! Possibly the quietest big summer blockbuster opening night show I've been to. Don't know if that was because it was a rainy Thursday and most people will be taking the kids tomorrow when it’s not a school night.

I was at the first showing just after midnight on 24th at my local Vue, and we’ve been to the first showing for all the new SW films. For context, TFA opened at midnight there on eight screens and they were all sold out,  Rogue One opened on three screens which were all 2/3rds full, TLJ sold out 3 screens. Solo opened on a single screen. Apart from my brother and I, there were seven people there. Not sure whether that shows a waning interest in the SW movies, whether it was a deliberate snub after TLJ, and because Lando fancies a robot (as has been claimed), or whether people just couldn’t be arsed with going out at midnight.

My thoughts exactly (@glb) . The VFX are genuinely amazing, when you take time out to think about them. 

My favourite aspects of the film by far, though, were the costumes and the SFX. Huge fan of the creature effects and Lando's wardrobe, one item of clothing in particular :D

• Upvote 3

Perhaps there's something wrong with me but I thought Solo was easily the second best of the new ones, just behind force awakens. I really liked it.

It's a really fun low stakes caper with some great costumes and atmosphere. The fanservice is all quite light of touch so doesn't feel too pandering. There's one bit (you know the bit) where I almost went yeahhhh in the cinema but then I remembered I'm not American. 

• Upvote 2

Which bit? 

Anyway, I've not really been into the new lot very much but this and Rogue One are my favourites. I wouldn't argue they are better films than VII and VIII, but I do find them fun and extremely Star Warsy, even though they're inferior. 

• Upvote 1

So many little comedy moments in this didn’t land because they were being played off wrong, and were very obviously Lord and Miller inventions. That said, after a bumpy start once they got to Lando this really came to life and I really enjoyed it.

The scene apparently written so they could have Emelia Clarke being upstaged by a motion captured robot was awkward.

3 hours ago, Treble said:

Which bit? 

Anyway, I've not really been into the new lot very much but this and Rogue One are my favourites. I wouldn't argue they are better films than VII and VIII, but I do find them fun and extremely Star Warsy, even though they're inferior. 

Spoiler

The bit where they revealed Darth Maul is pulling all the strings, that the clone wars series is canon, and that Ray Park is back with the clone wars guy doing the voice. If that's a sign of where they're going to go with the Kenobi/Fett movies, count me in.

Also I laughed at the idea that the falcon has been host to the spirit of a purposefully annoying "SJW" robot for the sole purpose of annoying cunty alt righters on the internet.

I thought a lot of the reviews for this were a bit unfair, I'd rather my star wars was frivolous and lighthearted than massively overlong and portentous and full of plot holes.

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Me in this thread when I see spoiler tags

OJhA80Z.gif

I wish I'd refrained from clicking, one absolutely massive spoiler was seen. Not going to see this until next week and they got the better of me. Fucking idiot.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Treble said:

@Moz

Reveal hidden contents

I was never 100% sure whether CW was Canon, but Rebels definitely is. And Maul's story comes to an end there. 

Spoiler

I haven't seen either, I'm just happy as I know it meant a lot to the fans. Are they worth a watch?

It's worth saying that considering you sort-of know exactly what's going to happen in the film, there are definitely some spoilable bits (one in particular) and you should be careful with your clicking before you see it. Since I watched it I've seen it spoiled twice by YouTube thumbnails in my subscriptions. I don't think the surprises will be secret for long knowing how prickish the internet is.

20 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Bank Holiday weekend with good weather forecast and superhero overload recently via Deadpool 2 and A:IW. I'm comfortable predicting heavily disappointing box office. 

I always go to the town’s quietest/crappiest cinema which is always pretty poorly attended, but tonight’s 8pm showing had 10 people, compared to at least 20 for Deadpool 2 on Tuesday. Not promising!

9pm opening night at the busiest cinema in England and it's not even half full

I also thought it was a turgid choppy tone deaf mess with flat performances a flimsy script and what has to be the worst ending of any blockbuster in recent memory  (in terms of bang for buck) 

Paul Bettany was great as always but I really got nothing from Glover or the solo guy.

And the direction. Jesus what direction? 

I'd be interested to know who directed the evil dead 3 rip off fight, because that had a totally different energy to anything else in the film 

Really poor 

• Upvote 1

I thought this was pretty awful, and when you consider that they actually had a surprisingly good actor for the young Solo, a massive massive waste.

What was good - the casting of young Solo. He had the swagger down, the insouciance. And he had chemistry with Chewbacca. Also the singers at the Paul Bettany party made me laugh.

What was bad - everything else. The story was bland tripe. Steal this. Go here. Fight that. It felt just like one of those Bond films where you sort of watch it and then the more you think about it the more none of it really makes sense. The characters were poorly drawn (how does the Emilia Clarke reunion make sense emotionally?), nothing felt real, nothing felt like there was any message or wisdom behind it. Just cookie cutter nonsense to push the juggernaut onwards. Star Wars is eating itself, it's a human centipede, and this film is very near the end. How much longer can the regurgitation go on for? I think I'm going to watch IX and be done with it. Can't deal with it any more. Want it to stop.

• Upvote 3

So mediocre.

Spoiler

Corellia is bland and unconvincing- those orphans, jeez - worst dystopia ever. Over familiar retro car chase like Lucas never left.

Generic war is generic. Chewie intro is good, otherwise he is a bit underused except when a box needs lifting.

Val is great, and then thrown away. She would have made a far better mentor than Tobias.

Oh, Kira's back. Wasn't away long enough to miss her.

Bettany is good.

Lando isn't bad exactly, but he's playing a pastiche of Lando, a knowing, Robot Chicken version rather than someone who could genuinely grow up to be the man in Empire.

FL34-B4G is the best thing in the movie. So has to die :(

Kessel Run went just as the nerd crew predicted.

Fanservice McRobolegs just confused the normies and  got an eye roll from the nerds.

Han is already doing heroic things for the resistance? But by ANH he'll become a cynical, almost amoral rogue? Huh...

• Upvote 3

I saw this yesterday.

of course as a massive Star Wars fan — who thinks people who dislike TLJ must be smoking some hefty crack — I though this was... ok. 

Its fine, it’s passable, it’s decent yet throw-away entertainment. It does feel a little... inconsequential in the whole grand Star Wars scheme and I feel doesn’t really offer that interesting an origins story or even that interesting a small Han Solo adventure story. 

But it’s not crap. It’s just quite lightweight and a bit... *shrug*. 

I’d absolutely rank it the lowest of the new Star Wars films. 

• Upvote 5

I might even rank it as the lowest of all the Star Wars films. I made a joke before going in about how I was worried the franchise had sunk so low and coming out I was a little bit annoyed that I might have been right. It's just so damn bland and boring with nothing happening to raise a pulse. The prequels were bad movies but they had pod races, Duel of the Fates, General Grevious, Count Dooku and the second half of Revenge of the Sith.

Donald Glover and Paul Bettany both put in solid performances and I guess congratulations to Ron Howard for making the film coherent. Star Wars should be able to elicit some sort of emotional response other than a shrug of the shoulders.

Huh. I saw it today for the second time and liked it even more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what would you guys say is a good recent movie in this genre? I've seen people compare it to Star Trek 09 for instance

• Upvote 1

I went in expecting a lightweight adventure with some Star Warsy feel-good bits and that’s exactly what I got. I don’t if I was right to set my expectations low, but I’m glad these in-between movies aren’t burdened with the same weight as the saga movies. 

I thought performances were good. Alden Ehrenreich was cute, funny and sexy in all the right places and the set pieces were fun and thrilling. After being a bit apprehensive after reading about the production difficulties, I think his casting was spot on. 

In many ways, I like these offshoot movies more. I’ve always liked the conceit of a movie or story seen from the point of view of minor characters - like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is to Hamlet.

I really enjoyed it, and I’d love to see a couple of sequels so that Ehrenreich doesn’t become the George Lazenby of Han Solos. 

Spoiler

Terrible bit - Solo being a made-up surname. The great thing about Lucas’s universe creation was the way he conjured up other-worldly, yet somehow familiar, credible names. Han Solo didn’t need to mean he was on his own. It was just a cool name made out of a familiar sounding word. It was totally unnecessary to give it an explanation. 

• Upvote 4

I found it quite refreshing beforehand that I was going to see a Star Wars film with so little responsibility for it to meet. At worst it was going to end up with a reputation of "that rubbish Han Solo movie they tried", but that didn't really matter beyond that. After seeing it I thought it was fun but mostly throwaway, and that was fine.