rllmuk
rubberducker

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

On 05/01/2018 at 23:27, Delargey said:

I think this movie will be a load of shit. Except for Donald Glover. Donald Glover will be excellent.

"I'm too young for this shit"

• Upvote 8

TOqn9vp.jpg

Ah yes Robot Han Solo.

iZJs4D7l.jpg

Good to know that art that Disney kept saying WASNT LEGIT somehow appeared on all the marketing for the toys for the new han solo film. That's a pretty major blunder considering it's clearly unofficial artwork.

4aAcISq.jpg

Finally, a worthy opponent for Ben Swolo benswoll.jpg

Edit: Okay okay, so im confused, why have so many toys been revealed? Is this just standard Star Wars fare? Why am I getting my knowledge of this new film from a toy box? Aren't trailers meant to precede this *(?) - so people see this shit in action first?

• Downvote 1

If they do the Kessel Run it should absolutely depict a parsec as a unit of time, not distance. A series where you have space fighter planes and magic space knights doesn’t need a rock solid scientific basis.

I think its likely a cluster fuck behind the scenes.

Can you imagine the sheer scale of the marketing plan for a film like this? Then you go and sack your directors in the last few weeks of production - on a timeframe that was on a knife edge anyway. 

Its comes out in a few months, so it’s no surprise that this stuff is leaking.

I just remembered what this ridiculously quick Star Wars release schedule reminds me of. After MGS3 came out, IIRC, Konami wanted to release alternating main-line and spin-off MGS games. MGS4 came out late and incomplete, MGSV came out almost on time and incomplete, and then the franchise imploded.

21 minutes ago, rubberducker said:

I think its likely a cluster fuck behind the scenes.

Can you imagine the sheer scale of the marketing plan for a film like this? Then you go and sack your directors in the last few weeks of production - on a timeframe that was on a knife edge anyway. 

Its comes out in a few months, so it’s no surprise that this stuff is leaking.

Pretty much every major Hollywood blockbuster has the toys leak first. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, buizel said:

TOqn9vp.jpg

Ah yes Robot Han Solo.

Despite looking like something Bill and Ted made, those "buildable" figures all look like that, sadly. They're absolutely terrible.

maxresdefault.jpg

6 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I'm actually starting to cautiously look forward to this. It looks like it's going to be fun. A bit of a romp. Which after the bloated pomposity of The Last Jedi appeals to me immensely.

What's made you think that, I want to be excited but everything that's been said about it has been really bad. 

Yeah, I can't really bring myself to get excited about this for similar reasons to the ones K highlighted on page 1 back when the film was announced.

Spoiler
On 13/01/2016 at 10:55, K said:

One of the reasons why Han Solo is cool is because he has this mysterious implied backstory that makes you want to know more about him. Fulfilling that desire to know more is the mistake that ruins 99% of all prequels, apart from possibly Godfather part II and Muppet Babies. A Han Solo Jr film could just about work if it’s a random adventure he had, but the temptation will be there to show him winning the Millennium Falcon off Lando and then doing the Kessel Run and then showing him dropping his cargo and running at the first sight of trouble.

The other reason why Han Solo is cool is because he was played by Harrison Ford in his prime. Any prequel would by necessity take away both of those things, so it’s unlikely to ever work. Bad idea.

• Upvote 2

Of all the things they could do I think this is the last character I want touched, they have Ewan McGregor for an Obi Wan movie which would be a much better prospect and besides that they have a fuck load of stuff they could do well away from the Skywalkers .

Imo the most exciting project Disney has announced is the new trilogy, away from the core franchise. Even with the divisive reaction to Johnson's Last Jedi, having a director create a new world, new characters and new stories will hopefully mean a bit of life being breathed into the universe, rather than these spin-offs that already sound stretched. 

That said, gut feeling is Disney will eventually reboot the prequels, with these spin-offs being a possible way to rebuild that universe before doing so. Maybe far-fetched, wishful thinking but Disney's entire history is littered with the retelling of well-known tales and they've not exactly shown restraint with their SW output.

• Upvote 1

Nah, they won't waste their time with re-visiting the prequels.

I'm pleased they want to expand the universe, and personally I think they've made 3 good films out of 3 since the buy out.  

There's so much potential for Star Wars films, books, TV shows, and I think they know what they're doing with it.  The prequels are done, they're canon, and it would be a complete waste of time going back to them. 

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I'm pleased they want to expand the universe, and personally I think they've made 3 good films out of 3 since the buy out.  

There's so much potential for Star Wars films, books, TV shows, and I think they know what they're doing with it.  The prequels are done, they're canon, and it would be a complete waste of time going back to them. 

I disagree. I think it's only a matter of time before we have a post-Episode 3, pre-Star Wars set film which will be a Terminator-style chase movie where a group of Order 66 surviving Jedi attempt to escape from a pursuing Vader.

5 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I disagree. I think it's only a matter of time before we have a post-Episode 3, pre-Star Wars set film which will be a Terminator-style chase movie where a group of Order 66 surviving Jedi attempt to escape from a pursuing Vader.

Like The Force Unleashed? ;)

Anyway, that's not re-making the prequels - I'd agree there are stories to tell around that period, but they won't re-make them.

7 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Like The Force Unleashed? ;)

Anyway, that's not re-making the prequels - I'd agree there are stories to tell around that period, but they won't re-make them.

Ah, yeah, sorry; didn't mean to imply I was in disagreement with the Prequels point - they won't revisit/remake then.

But Vader is going to be the Big Bad for a loooooong time.

Solo spoiler speculation within: 

Spoiler

He's even shoehorned into this film ffs!

• Upvote 1

On 07/01/2018 at 21:52, Orko said:

Despite looking like something Bill and Ted made, those "buildable" figures all look like that, sadly. They're absolutely terrible.

maxresdefault.jpg

WRONG:

9608AAF3-E084-4CB4-B120-521637CDBD33.thumb.jpeg.88127f9dd0456672a677a6b0d8a86f5e.jpeg

0F35473C-E062-4F69-91F9-CD171E81640B.thumb.jpeg.097dac2334937c047eb0fef8bd118c91.jpeg

6895F89E-0226-4EDC-8848-A548E9572684.thumb.jpeg.81de713e62020783fe04424f03536e2f.jpeg

:)

• Upvote 6

On 1/8/2018 at 15:36, Boothjan said:

Oh total speculation on my part without much logic for sure. But hearing how many films they have planned beyond what's been announced, I really hope the entirely new trilogy frees them from the shackles of the originals (meaning eps 4-6). I really enjoyed TFA and Rogue One, and came round to TLJ on repeat viewing, but the universe needs expanding on screen. I'm not a reader of the EU books but gather there is plenty of good content in there alone. Depends how bold Disney wants to be as the franchise expands.

On 1/8/2018 at 17:39, Glasgowchivas said:

Actually, this is a much more viable alternative; make enough prequel-esque content that the prequels themselves are only a snippet of what came pre-A New Hope. Rogue One was essentially ep 3.5, would happily take a few more films of that ilk if the House of Mouse keeps adding to the existing cinematic universe in parallel with the new cinematic universe the new trilogy creates.

10 hours ago, jerellis1 said:

WRONG:

9608AAF3-E084-4CB4-B120-521637CDBD33.thumb.jpeg.88127f9dd0456672a677a6b0d8a86f5e.jpeg

0F35473C-E062-4F69-91F9-CD171E81640B.thumb.jpeg.097dac2334937c047eb0fef8bd118c91.jpeg

6895F89E-0226-4EDC-8848-A548E9572684.thumb.jpeg.81de713e62020783fe04424f03536e2f.jpeg

:)

Let's be honest though, the Scout and Snow, trooper armour can save pretty much anything, Snow especially; the best armour created for the SW universe bar none. Stick your Mandalorian up your 'arris.

Synopsis - 

Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

• Upvote 2

I'm a bit disappointed that this is due out in May and  not later in the year/December. Star Wars Christmas Cinema trips have become a recent tradition for my brother and I. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

I'm a bit disappointed that this is due out in May and  not later in the year/December. Star Wars Christmas Cinema trips have become a recent tradition for my brother and I. 

Same here. Except it was screwed up with illness, sadly.

It’s the official synopsis. I imagine we’ll get pictures in the next few days ahead of the trailer. Unless they hold the trailer for Black Panther.

There were teaser trailers months in advance and behind the scenes making of videos. Also I’m pretty sure one sheet posters (?). And much more sense in the general consciousness that a new Star Wars was coming. Same with Rogue One (we’d had two trailers by this point).

It’s wierd that Disney aren’t delaying a troubled production, which might mean they have some confidence in it. It might surprise us all as the Kasdans seem quite a talented family (Larry’s other son directed Jumanji - which was way better than it had any right to be).

But that synopsis sounds like fanwank (but then they all do) and , well, Ron Howard. He’s sure to add his own flavour of cheese.

But who knows maybe it will be better than we think. Who actually has high expectations of this property?