rubberducker

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

The prequels are a story about the impotence and failure of modern liberal democracy, how its easily corrupted nature can lead to fascism because people are short-sighted morons. They tried to tell a story that is unquestionably good, it's just they were ever-so-slightly marred and hampered by bugfuck awful execution that makes most normal human beings want to claw their eyes out than sit through them again.

Anyway, I am super megahype for Rogue One. This, on the other hand, nah. And that dude they've cast just isn't doing it for me.

• Upvote 9

52 minutes ago, Space Renegade Ulala said:

The prequels are a story about the impotence and failure of modern liberal democracy, how its easily corrupted nature can lead to fascism because people are short-sighted morons. They tried to tell a story that is unquestionably good, it's just they were ever-so-slightly marred and hampered by bugfuck awful execution that makes most normal human beings want to claw their eyes out than sit through them again. 

"They"? That's a bit plural, isn't it? 

12 hours ago, Spleen said:

You can tell yourself that but when the hype builds you'll be there, with us all.

Nah, I don't give a shit what Han or Chewie did when they were younger. Unless the trailer promises an interesting story outside of "hey it's Han Solo but he's young" and treading over boring ground like the life debt and winning the falcon then I've got no interest. Prequels of any kind need to look genuinely special to interest me. I don't have any faith in any movie studio to produce them to any sort of standard. 

• Upvote 3

To go "back" and do prequels has not been kind to the Star Wars series has it. Hopefully it was just George's ham fisted and boring take on it. It might be OK, but I prefer it to push forward now, as TFA was such a great reintroduction. And no talk of tax or trade routes and Senates anywhere

I think this is a pretty risky proposition for Disney, and great opportunity to alienate the fanbase. The guy they have cast looks NOTHING like young harriso (other than he is a white guy in twenties).

Han is such an iconic character, that one false move could turn the internets against the film - and maybe the beginnings of the whole franchise, if they fuck around with it too much and milk every penny.

Having said that - Its got pretty great directors and the writer that really made harrison's cinema charm sparkle the most - so hopefully it will turn out ok.

Alden Ehrenreich confirmed for Han at Lord and Miller's panel at Celebration. They also said shooting (first) begins in late January or early February.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sponge said:

Had no idea you thought like that, Smitty. 

You're right, how improper of me to express my opinion here as everyone else has. Who do I think I am? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

On 12/01/2016 at 23:40, Captain LeChuck said:

They won't, because it will make a fuckload of money, but they should just leave this character well the fuck alone. I have zero interest in this, and I'm a die-hard star wars fan.

There is only one Han Solo.

On 13/01/2016 at 07:45, sir_shrew said:

If we are gonna have a shitty Han Solo spinoff then the Fault in Our Stars dude at least looks the part.

On 13/01/2016 at 09:29, JPickford said:

I've got a bad feeling about this.

On 13/01/2016 at 10:55, K said:

One of the reasons why Han Solo is cool is because he has this mysterious implied backstory that makes you want to know more about him. Fulfilling that desire to know more is the mistake that ruins 99% of all prequels, apart from possibly Godfather part II and Muppet Babies. A Han Solo Jr film could just about work if it’s a random adventure he had, but the temptation will be there to show him winning the Millennium Falcon off Lando and then doing the Kessel Run and then showing him dropping his cargo and running at the first sight of trouble.

The other reason why Han Solo is cool is because he was played by Harrison Ford in his prime. Any prequel would by necessity take away both of those things, so it’s unlikely to ever work. Bad idea.

On 13/01/2016 at 20:37, kensei said:

You're wrong in one respect. They'll never be done milking that sweet, sweet Star Wars teat.

On 06/05/2016 at 13:18, Mr Cochese said:

I'm pretty sick of Star Wars by now, to be honest. Bit worried that Marvel stuff is becoming as overexposed.

On 06/05/2016 at 13:38, Pob said:

Probably because a 'young Han Solo' film seems like a duff and predictable idea, unlike Rogue One.

On 06/05/2016 at 22:19, Broker said:

Nah, I don't give a shit what Han or Chewie did when they were younger. Unless the trailer promises an interesting story outside of "hey it's Han Solo but he's young" and treading over boring ground like the life debt and winning the falcon then I've got no interest. Prequels of any kind need to look genuinely special to interest me. I don't have any faith in any movie studio to produce them to any sort of standard. 

Still, what the fuck is Smitty doing posting about it?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You do realise that it might not have been a sarcastic comment.  Anyway, you have to admit, you're not exactly offering your insightful best as to why you don't like what's happening with the SW universe, instead you just pop in to the threads with your latest caustic comment & then get all indignant when the inevitable negative comment, or just a Neg, comes your way.  I would love to have your actual properly thought out reasons behind why you think TFA, Rogue One, etc, are bad idea instead of your tired, repetitive 'Fanboy bait' bollocks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Punished Smitty said:

You're right, how improper of me to express my opinion here as everyone else has. Who do I think I am? 

You don't express your opinion though do you? Not opinions that have any thought behind them or real content anyway. 

You just time and again try to suck away any enjoyment or enthusiasm like a fun vacuum with snarky comments in what appear to be attempts to bring everyone else down into the same bitter and fun less world that you seemingly inhabit.  

Despite the fact that it's probably going to be at its core a money making exercise, a single frame of the new Han Solo film is going to add more of worth to the world than you ever would in a thousand lifetimes and that fact just tears you up doesn't it? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 14

12 minutes ago, RIKT said:

Despite the fact that it's probably going to be at its core a money making exercise, a single frame of the new Han Solo film is going to add more of worth to the world than you ever would in a thousand lifetimes and that fact just tears up you up doesn't it? 

Wow. What an incredibly cunty comment.

• Upvote 7

I call it as I see it as they say. 

I've read this forum since day one and it's just the same bitter negative shit over and over and over again. 

I've spent my weekend at Star Wars Celebration, and if one thing has been made clear, if it wasn't already, it's that Disney and Lucasfilm care massively about Star Wars and in turn the fans and what they want and what will make them happy. So with that in mind I've got less time than normal for Smitty type comments. 

• Downvote 4

Well whoopee doo...he's contributed more to an Internet forum than I have. Consider me told. (I'll ignore for a minute the number of times he's been banned over the years for acting like a dick and the large number of people who find him just as insufferable as I do). 

For all I know he'll contribute more to the world than I will. I'm no great shakes, far from it.  But that's not the point is it? The point (IMO) is that I'm not the one who's consistently trying to suck the fun out of things that people enjoy. If I don't like something then I keep my mouth shut and I'm happy to let others enjoy it if that's what they want. Smitty seemingly is incapable of that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

12 minutes ago, RIKT said:

Well whoopee doo...he's contributed more to an Internet forum than I have. Consider me told. (I'll ignore for the minute the number of times he's been banned over the years for acting like a dick and the large number of people who find him just as insufferable as I do). 

For all I know he'll contribute more to the world than I will. I'm no great shakes, far from it.  But that's not the point is it? The point (IMO) is that I'm not the one who's consistently trying to suck the fun out of things that people enjoy. If I don't like something then I keep my mouth shut and I'm happy to let others enjoy it if that's what they want. Smitty seemingly is incapable of that. 

Yes, nothing says "fun and enjoyment" like telling someone they'll never contribute anything of worth to the world because they don't think a new Star Wars film will be any good. Get a grip, it's fine if you disagree, but the way you put that across was deeply personal and pretty horrible. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, K said:

Yes, nothing says "fun and enjoyment" like telling someone they'll never contribute anything of worth to the world because they don't think a new Star Wars film will be any good. Get a grip, it's fine if you disagree, but the way you put that across was deeply personal and pretty horrible. 

I think you perhaps should read what I've written again. No where did I say he wouldn't contribute anything to the world. What I said was that a single frame will contribute MORE to the world than he will (in a thousand lifetimes if you want to be picky). 

Do you dispute that? Is Smitty, or anyone reading this for that matter, likely to do anything that will match the happiness this film will no doubt bring to millions of people for years and years to come? I know I almost certainly won't. But again I'm not the one putting down the hard work and passion that will go into making it with the usual snarky, negative and dismissive comments. 

• Downvote 8

Well, I rest my case about the entirely healthy attitude Star Wars mega-fans have to their bloated, grossly overexposed franchise. I congratulate RIKT on illustrating my argument perfectly, saving me the effort. 

Can someone direct to me a good, serious article or video addressing the pathology of this particular mental derangement - the modern virulent form of consumerist pop-culture fanboyism that is evidently infantalizing an entire generation of people? 

Because it's totally and utterly fascinating to me watching grown men regress in this way. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 11

13 minutes ago, VN1X said:

A single frame of this film will cure cancer.

Of course it won't, but I wonder how many people who are going through tough times for whatever reason it'll allow to forget their troubles for a couple hours? 

But nah...fuck that...Disney is running the well dry again.