rubberducker

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

How on earth could he have a part in Rogue One if it's set at the time immediately prior to Star Wars... it's about stealing the plans for the Death Star. I have a feeling this is aimed squarely at the teenage market.

I gave you a +1, but then I remembered something. Legends EU spoiler:

If they follow the Solo origin novels, he actually tries to join the Imperial Navy to "go it straight", after years and years of, well, being Solo. However, a choice right at the end sends him back on the scoundrel path.

I suppose that cosmic coincidence thing could have happened there.

They need to cast Anthony Ingruber!

He's already played a young Harrison Ford in The Age of Adaline and pulled it off brilliantly.

He does a decent impression but it looks like a young kid trying to act and sound like a man so is totally jarring (in that second clip especially). That said maybe he is a good bit older now and has grown into the voice.

I gave you a +1, but then I remembered something. Legends EU spoiler:

If they follow the Solo origin novels, he actually tries to join the Imperial Navy to "go it straight", after years and years of, well, being Solo. However, a choice right at the end sends him back on the scoundrel path.

I suppose that cosmic coincidence thing could have happened there.

Sure - but given that around thee of the death star plans being stolen, he'd about 3 days younger than he is in the original star wars...

Out of that lot, Elgort would seem the best fit without being completely jarring. The film is still surplus to requirements and the Rogue One cameo is hopefully a really silly rumour.

I think all of the episodes will be decent and maybe even a few of this first wave of spin offs will be OK. But by the time they're done they're going to have run Star Wars so far into the ground we're going to miss the George Lucas days.

You're wrong in one respect. They'll never be done milking that sweet, sweet Star Wars teat.

It's not as though they haven't violated the franchise in this way throughout its history, but at least they used to reserve such things for animated TV shows.

droids.jpg

The cinema is not the place for spin offs and between episodes of the new main trilogy is not the time.

• Upvote 1

I think the cinema is the place for spin offs, and between episode of the new main trilogy is the time. I'm happy we're getting a new Star Wars film every year, and I'm happy they're going to be exploring different sides of the universe outside the thundering juggernaut of the main films. So, uh... checkmate. :)

• Upvote 5

Rather than filling in back-stories of characters whose appeal stems partly from their lightly-sketched or wholly mysterious past, I'd rather see some of the historical gaps filled in, exactly as Rogue One is doing. The eras before ANH and between ROTJ and TFA are fertile ground for new stories. After seeing TFA, who doesn't want to know more about what went down over the last 30 years? There seems to be a deliberate vacuum, but I assume tens of EU tie-in stories are already in the works.

Also, they should definitely do an Old Republic feature - that could be a whole new series right there.

I read somewhere the other day that Ewan McGregor has been approached by Disney for a mystery project that may well be at least one 'Obi-Wan - The Desert Years' film, and possibly more.

A whole series involving the old republic, the Jedi, and the Senate, with all the political intrigue that goes with it, would be fantastic. And they have a completely blank slate to work from.

I guess that's what Lucas sort of attempted with the prequels, but he never had the chops for that kind of writing.

Yup! There was nothing wrong with this, per se (writing aside), it just didn't belong in the middle of action films. It doesn't have to be quite House of Cards, but that's what Palps did because that's what you need to do in order to control such a large organization (the Republic).

Just reading that wikipedia entry myself and I also spotted that Elgort's father is of Russian Jewish descent, and his mother is of English, German, and Norwegian ancestry; so what you may ask? Well, guess whose parents were of Irish Catholic and German descent, respectively, and whose maternal grandparents, Harry Nidelman and Anna Lifschutz, were Jewish immigrants from Minsk, Belarus (at that time a part of the Russian Empire)?

:sherlock::sherlock::sherlock:

How on earth could he have a part in Rogue One if it's set at the time immediately prior to Star Wars... it's about stealing the plans for the Death Star. I have a feeling this is aimed squarely at the teenage market.

Plus that means Chewie has to be in it as well?

BB8 will probaby turn up as well.

Rather than filling in back-stories of characters whose appeal stems partly from their lightly-sketched or wholly mysterious past, I'd rather see some of the historical gaps filled in, exactly as Rogue One is doing. The eras before ANH and between ROTJ and TFA are fertile ground for new stories. After seeing TFA, who doesn't want to know more about what went down over the last 30 years? There seems to be a deliberate vacuum, but I assume tens of EU tie-in stories are already in the works.

Also, they should definitely do an Old Republic feature - that could be a whole new series right there.

Rebels is set before ANH and is pretty excellent, while the Star Wars and Darth Vader ongoing comics are set between ANH and ESB, and are pretty good too.

There was a short comic series set directly after Jedi (Shattered Empire), and the Aftermath books are meant to be filling in some of the thirty year gap. The first one was apparently terrible though.

Rebels is set before ANH and is pretty excellent, while the Star Wars and Darth Vader ongoing comics are set between ANH and ESB, and are pretty good too.

There was a short comic series set directly after Jedi (Shattered Empire), and the Aftermath books are meant to be filling in some of the thirty year gap. The first one was apparently terrible though.

Yeah Rebels is cool - it's strange to watch something set between eps III and IV when that period of time was off-limits for so long. I think all the of the 'Anthology' films rumoured so far would be set in that era, wouldn't they? Rogue One, young Solo, young(er) Boba.