rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
BruceBruce

Assassin's Creed Origins

Discovery Tour mode was inspired, I hope that's always a feature now. My lad is riding around learning about ancient Egypt. They always really enjoy seeing the environment in AC games but it's difficult to shield them from blood and gore usually. 

I'm going to sit through this entire tour, when I get a sec.

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

Discovery Tour mode was inspired, I hope that's always a feature now. My lad is riding around learning about ancient Egypt. They always really enjoy seeing the environment in AC games but it's difficult to shield them from blood and gore usually. 

I'm going to sit through this entire tour, when I get a sec.

It's coming later this year for Odyssey too. I love the idea of it; might install Origins to play with the kids over the summer holidays :)

• Upvote 1

I posted this in the Odyssey thread on Sunday: 

Since this was on free play I decided to give it a spin. Always fancied it because I'm a sucker for the Greek setting but could never justify it as I have Origins sitting on my pile of shame as it came with my Xbox one X. 

Anyway after giving it a spin it's really good. So much in fact that I have stopped playing it so I don't spoil it for later. It's convinced me to dig out Origins and play through that so I can justify a purchase of this at a later date. 

Anyway since then I have went into Origins. First impressions were that it wasn't as smooth and didn't feel so good as Odyssey, but a couple of hours in and all that thoughts drifted away. I have played multiple AC titles, and although i always liked the settings and ideas, I always felt the gameplay to be lacking and far too repetitive. SO far Origins feels a lot different from the old style and much more RPG in it's feel. I love the climbing and exploring, and have spent some time just exploring the landscape. Just finished the prologue (although it took a good few hours) as I explored a lot of the area. 

The game looks stunning in places and I have loved taking pictures and playing with the effects. The game has been a great distraction over the past couple of nights and I feel its the right time to lose myself in this style, as I normally feel I don't have the time for it.

• Upvote 3

I recently played Origins, having not played all the way through an AC since Black Flag.

It was basically excellent, and compelling. The new combat system was a welcome addition, and the setting was tons of fun. Even grew to look forward to the Phylakes after a while/being sufficiently tooled up.

Generally I can only do on ubi open-worlder a year, but I might jump straight into Odyssey because well... I've got time.

I recently completed Origins. I thought it was excellent and it’s a shame that I find Odyssey too hard to progress on. It’s the only mainline game I haven’t completed (apart from Unity which I should get done in the next week or so)

I loved the setting of Origins and the graphical style. 

More played over the last couple of days and I'm not really tackling it in any structured way. Just tend to go exploring and see what adventures I can find. Really enjoying the staff style weapon and also upgraded my skills to get sleeping darts and smoke bombs. Found a pyramid and painstakingly climbed to the top before realising that the one next to it had a sync point so ended up climbing that one too! Some of the higher points in the game really seem to play on my dislike of heights which I haven't experienced in a game since the Crackdown games. Looking forward to some more time in the game world over the weekend. 

Other than the original game, Origins is the only other Assassins Creed game I have 100% completed from start to finish and all the DLC.

Absolutely stonking game and both DLCs, especially Curse of the Pharaoh's, are worth your time.

I am currently working through Odyssey and loving the travel between islands and the lovely sun drenched locations.

About 15 hours in now. My latest favorite thing to do is to tame an animal and take it into battle with me. Buggers up the stealth, but provides amusement! Gutted that Bayek has had a shave, he looked more badass with the beard! Got my nice stabby wrist dagger things now though.

I notice there is the option to switch to the woman who is in the animus machine whenever you want. Is there any advantage to this or can I safely ignore it? Those sections just get in the way and I really couldn't give a stuff about her side of the story. 

5 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

About 15 hours in now. My latest favorite thing to do is to tame an animal and take it into battle with me. Buggers up the stealth, but provides amusement! Gutted that Bayek has had a shave, he looked more badass with the beard! Got my nice stabby wrist dagger things now though.

I notice there is the option to switch to the woman who is in the animus machine whenever you want. Is there any advantage to this or can I safely ignore it? Those sections just get in the way and I really couldn't give a stuff about her side of the story. 

I’m also playing through this fashionably late and really enjoying it. It’s bloody huge too. I’m 50 hours in and have barely visited half the map.  At some point I may abandon trying to visit every question mark, but for now still enjoying the flow of exploring as much as the story and side quests. I particularly have loved the tombs which have a great explory vibe.

You can restore Bayeks hair and beard on the gear screen along with choosing  if he has his hood up or down. I’m still rocking the same look as the opening section of the game as he decidedly looks cooler with hair!!

• Upvote 1

I'm tempted to try this but as much as I enjoyed Odyssey the level grind started to annoy me too much. Does this have a similar levelling system? The thing that got me was not being able to progress the story at my own pace but having to do tons of side-quests before getting back to the main quest. Is this the same or better in that respect?

3 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I'm tempted to try this but as much as I enjoyed Odyssey the level grind started to annoy me too much. Does this have a similar levelling system? The thing that got me was not being able to progress the story at my own pace but having to do tons of side-quests before getting back to the main quest. Is this the same or better in that respect?

At no point in the game did I need to grind at all. If I hit an area I was underlevelled, I’d veered off the story too far.

You might need to grind if you actively avoid all side quests and interactions though.

In the early part of the game I had to play the side quests in the area before I was up to the level of the next main quest mission.

By Alexandria however my explore everywhere and do all the side quests before moving things along has led to me being pretty over levelled for all the story quests

3 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

In the early part of the game I had to play the side quests in the area before I was up to the level of the next main quest mission.

By Alexandria however my explore everywhere and do all the side quests before moving things along has led to me being pretty over levelled for all the story quests

Cool, I think I'll give it a go at some point. I haven't even given up on Oydssey yet @deKay but for all its qualities I personally wanted to get on with things rather than doing a lot of samey side stuff just to reach the right level. I will one day return.

Looking around online it looks like Origins never had a built in design to monetise things with an XP boost so hopefully it will feel less grindy.

Got to say, the setting looks marvellous.

Origins has micro transactions to boost XP and stuff. Just totally unnecessary. Not seen a shop in the Odyssey menus yet, although I’m only about 6 hours in.

1 hour ago, Mawdlin said:

Cool, I think I'll give it a go at some point. I haven't even given up on Oydssey yet @deKay but for all its qualities I personally wanted to get on with things rather than doing a lot of samey side stuff just to reach the right level. I will one day return.

Looking around online it looks like Origins never had a built in design to monetise things with an XP boost so hopefully it will feel less grindy.

Got to say, the setting looks marvellous.

To be honest the main plot line in Origins is never so massively compelling that you want to ignore everything else it in favour of progression.  It drips feeds things nicely but the hook is wandering around, doing the side quests and seeing how they link together, exploring tombs and seeing what the question mark in the corner of the map is.

You either fall for the gameplay loop of invading base, grabbing treasure and bad ass assasining it up or you don't I guess

Had a nice surprise last night when I got to the 

Spoiler

ship section with Bayek's wife. Not the best gameplay ever, but didn't outstay it's welcome and felt pretty epic. 

Bayek now has his beard back too, so all is right with the world.

Still not a big fan of all the

Spoiler

crucifixions

Passed the 20 hour mark now and still really enjoying this. Seem to be going through a spate of finding tombs and now trying to level up my hunter type abilities. 

Had a great in game moment yesterday where I snuck onboard a ship and was offing the crew silently one by one when I noticed one of the guards was taking a piss overboard. Neadless to say he was sufficiently distracted for me to disturb his leak! 

Getting the fear when I hear the warhorn noise of the Phylakes and tend to bold away as fast as possible. Think I'm going to level up a bit more before I tackle any of those. 

The soundtrack in this game is absolutely amazing. I didn't really pay attention to it at first but it reacts to what is happening, and although it's never overstated it is perfect for the game. In fact after playing for 24 hours I would say that it's one of my favorite soundtracks of the generation. 

• Upvote 1

I'm still playing this, sweeping up the last of the temples/phylakes/machines/papyruses. Then I'll jump into the DLC.

I think I'm using this as a surrogate holiday, vicariously enjoying the beautiful wide open spaces while I'm stuck inside. Part of me wishes it had a sense of humour, but I suppose that's what Far Cry's for.

Bayek's a beast now, though I still can't be arsed taking on

the bloody elephants, not worth the hassle.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, schmojo said:

I'm still playing this, sweeping up the last of the temples/phylakes/machines/papyruses. Then I'll jump into the DLC.

I think I'm using this as a surrogate holiday, vicariously enjoying the beautiful wide open spaces while I'm stuck inside. Part of me wishes it had a sense of humour, but I suppose that's what Far Cry's for.

Bayek's a beast now, though I still can't be arsed taking on

Reveal hidden contents

the bloody elephants, not worth the hassle.

two of them and

Spoiler

Trials of the Gods... are the only things i have left

• Upvote 1

I daren't look at the stats, but this game chews up hours. I'm not a huge game binger and I find it easy to play a 4 hour stint.

Maybe 25 hours? Possibly more... but I have been enjoying the tourism.

On 31/03/2020 at 09:29, SeanR said:

Still not a big fan of all the

Hide contents

crucifixions

Thought you were going to say boat battles. They’re far worse.

21 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

How longhas it taken you chaps to get to those points ? 

Took me 80 hours to get everything in the main game.

43 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

How longhas it taken you chaps to get to those points ? 

150 hours iirc

I can only imagine I'm wildly underestimating the time I've spent in the game now.

108 hours according to my played time on Xbox, which would include both DLC's.

The longest time was spent hunting down every last little question mark on the map. Some areas like the swamps in the north I kept missing loads.

Also, elephants were a pain but a good bow, with health regen affects for Bayek on successful hits, worked well for me (also left them until very last).