rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

Making A Murderer - Netflix True Crime Documentary

Because he was a crucial witness for the state's case against Steven Avery and the jury had to believe him. If you then prosecute your star witness for being a nightmare human being using evidence you suppressed earlier to secure a conviction, you lose.

I thought I wouldn’t be interested in this again, but one ep and I’m all over it.

A problem I’m having though is that the mistrial lawyer keeps reminding me of the haulage millionairess off Dragon’s Den.

On 28/10/2018 at 07:58, Cappuccino Kid said:

To take one example: her theory that they broke into Avery’s trailer to obtain the blood samples. How did they know he’d leave blood behind? How did they manage to wait unseen for him to go out, but then be so close that they could get in so quickly?

I'm not sure if this is in the doc or not but her most recent theory is that it wasn't the police who planted the blood but Bobby and/or Scott. She reasoned that even if the police did break in and see a pool of blood in the sink they'd assume it was Theresa's not Averys. Or at the very least they couldn't be sure it was his.

Bobby and Scott on the other hand knew Steven had a cut on his finger because he got a plaster off his sister for it. They also would have known it was safe to break in because Steven had driven off with Brendan. They probably didn't go in specifically for blood but instead to look for stuff to plant, saw the blood in the sink and capitalised on that knowing it had to be Stevens. 

Personally I've no idea. I'm conscious of the fact that Netflix really does just want to give you one side of this. But that's Zellners theory anyway. 

4 hours ago, superfunk said:

Every text conversation I have with my partner is now peppered with:

"Oookay then"

"Yeah?"

"Oookay then"

We ended up doing this after S2 of Fargo. No surprise to find out they're neighbouring states!

I like the two little subplots running through the series - how fucking boring prison is, with Avery's calls about Gatorade or ice cream from the commissary being his news for his parents during their calls.

The other one being the ridiculous amount of grifting surrounding the case, from the woman who wants to marry him and then ditches him as a publicity stunt to get on TV, to the former prosecution lawyer peddling his book, just awful people doing awful things with awful consequences for the Avery family for a chance at a bit of cash.

• Upvote 4

Finished it last night. I enjoyed the juxtaposition between Nirider and Zellner. The former idealistic, believes in the system to a fault. The latter a battle hardened cynic, now a storyteller and investigator rather than a legal expert. Engrossing stuff throughout.

I found the second season lacked two things. The first was the sense of the unknown, purely as a by product of the success of the first meaning that the major developments in the post-conviction process were widely reported. The second is a fitting ending, at least for the Steven Avery side of things with the investigations and appeals still ongoing compared to the verdicts that were delivered in season one.

Despite that, it was still excellent viewing, more than I expected given what I knew going in. It still boggles my mind that Brendan can be convicted on the basis of his own recanted testimony, for which there is no corroborating evidence, and which isn't relied on in prosecuting Steven. Even setting aside the evident issues with the questioning of a kid with learning disabilities in the manner shown, it strikes me that a withdrawn confession to a crime isn't really sufficiently strong to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

"Yeah, I did these things that you said I did. Actually, no, wait, I didn't."

"Well, there's a guilty man."

On 04/11/2018 at 20:27, ckny said:

Finished it last night. I enjoyed the juxtaposition between Nirider and Zellner. The former idealistic, believes in the system to a fault. The latter a battle hardened cynic, now a storyteller and investigator rather than a legal expert. Engrossing stuff throughout.

I liked Nirider, she came across as very sincere, but I can’t help but feel she was a bit out of her depth for such a big case? When she was discussing the appeal at federal level with the panel of judges (particularly the second panel of seven judges) she seemed to choke, notably on the important point that the cops NEEDED a confession from Brendan as they knew there was no hard forensic evidence against Steven Avery.

Brendan is fucked, basically. And I don’t have high hopes for Steven, although Kathleen Zellner has clearly given it her best shot.

• Upvote 2

On 28/10/2018 at 20:44, tbb said:

The missus and I called out Scott Tadych and Bobby Dassey as bent as fuck in the first series. Now even more so! 

Yup, I've always thought there was something off about them both, especially on how quick Scott condemed Steven before the trail even started. He was so adamant that Steven did it that it felt really suspicious to me. Even more so now you factor in the computer, the incosistancies in Bobbys timelines, the property locations, the ignorning of the truckers texts etc.

I think Bobby did it and Scott helped cover it up and never expected Brendan to get caught up in it all. He didn't give a shit about Steven and made him the target. I don't think the police planted evidence aorund the site though, I just think they ignored stuff and helped push thing towards Steven. They did everything in their power to make sure Steven went down for it even if it meant turning an blind eye to things. 

Ken Kratz is a vile opertunistic piece of shit though.....and that voice....urrrghh. Thats the kind of voice that tells it to put the location on the skin. Fucking creep.

Spoiler

Just finished season 2 and halfway through it I knew exactly what the outcome was going to be. Harrowing stuff. I'm just glad that it quite clearly shows, beyond any doubt (that stuff with the coroner and the CD evidence was pretty telling in their own right), that conspiracies do happen and that there's nothing you can do to change that.

Maybe one day we'll wake up to the miraculous news that one or both of them have been released but until then simply lose all hope and wallow in despair at the sheer fucking state of this world. :hat:

She seems pretty convinced it’s Scott and Bobby there. I’m only up to episode 4 of this, and it’s just as infuriating as the first season. It seems to me that the state wanted Avery gone, so he couldn’t sue them and this all fell into their lap. They weren’t expecting such a rigorous global examination of this case, so they weren’t as thorough at tying up the loose ends as they should have been.

I hope this season ends with some hope, as I don’t think Kathleen Zellner will let it go until she’s unravelled it all fully and got Steven released.

The problem I have with the Scott and Bobby theory is how damn convoluted the explanation is. And Bobby and Scott don’t seem like they would have been educated enough in DNA to pull off that framing convincingly. Also you can bet that ‘how to fake DNA evidence’ would have been over their search history based on the other stuff.

That’s the problem for Steven really, nothing explains the case easier than he did it. So it’s either the police or a very, very smart killer. And nobody is in the frame for that atall.

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The problem I have with the Scott and Bobby theory is how damn convoluted the explanation is. And Bobby and Scott don’t seem like they would have been educated enough in DNA to pull off that framing convincingly.

That’s the problem for Steven really, nothing explains the case easier than he did it. So it’s either the police or a very, very smart killer. And nobody is in the frame for that atall.

I think the next episode tries to show how it’s Bobby and Scott, so I’ll have to see how convincing an argument it is.

What I do find weird though is all the evidence and cadaver scent the dogs picked up all over the quarry. If Steven killed her in his trailer, why would he have taken her for a spin around the quarry, just to bring both her remains and her car back to his yard. I know he’s not the brightest, but I can’t think of any reason why he’d do that. It definitely feels like evidence was planted at Steven’s to make him look guilty, by who though, I don’t know.