Rllmuk Discord Server

Mod Hijack!

Here's the official Rllmuk Discord. Join it. Go on.

Or:

https://discord.gg/anWNpFxFej

New link made January 30, 2021.linknew

----------------------------

I've been playing with Discord over the last couple of days, as Reddit are using it to sift through the Valve ARG stuff. I've been quite impressed with it.

It's sort of a strange mashup of forum, whatsapp and teamspeak all at once. It offers free voice and text chat along the lines of Skype/Mumble/Teamspeak etc, but with a few nice additions like a fully functional browser version, smartphone verison, embedded video/images, text chat history, and so on. You can create voice and text channels for specific subjects or games and move between them at will. It's very handy for games without decent voice/party options like Splatoon, or for simply posting funny things in a "chat" format to kill some time. It converts @mentions and hashtags to clickable/searchable terms too which is nice.

You can link your various gaming accounts (like twitch) to broadcast to the channel when you start streaming, and if you use the desktop client it will advertise whichever game you're playing while you're playing it. Facebook/Twitter stuff is coming soon apparently.

I've set one up here if anyone wants to have a play with it. I'm not precious about it, if any or all of the mod/admin team want to take over the server admin role, just let me know. It's all yours. I'm just interested to see if it has any use for the rllmuk community.

All you need to join is the link below, there's no password. It'll join you with a temporary account. Once you "claim" (i.e. register for a permanent account) you'll continue to see the rllmuk server whenever you log in. You can flip between servers or start your own too.

Edited by TehStu
New link
  • 1 year later...

Hey-You-Guys.jpg

Discord is pretty popular now. Me n my old-school pc gaming buds have transferred to it over the last year and @VN1X, @Sie, @Illyria and some others have their own server with a busy chat. Isn't it time we made the official rllmuk server actually active? Surely there's enough PC gamers where we could get decent gaming sessions together on it.

Right now the voice chat is locked, can you activate it @Moz ?

I'm on now. Thinking of what mp games we can play? My list of mp games ...

Rocket League

Overwatch

Diablo 3

Rust

Reign of Kings

Don't Starve Together

Conan Exiles

GTAV

Path of Exile

A bunch others, but those are the ones installed.

On 1/2/2016 at 23:17, Moz said:

Yeah, that's a good analogy. No filesharing (as far as I can see) but does voice chat.

It does file sharing up to 8 meg, or if you have a sub you get 40 iirc. The phone app is very good too. Handy for those with no headsets or PCs.

21 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Can you make @Mentazm staff so he can setup the various channels, please? It's best someone who knows Discord do it.

Not on the PC at the Mo, but you should be able to as well. I think I gave the @staff full permissions.

2 hours ago, Mentazm said:

It does file sharing up to 8 meg, or if you have a sub you get 40 iirc. The phone app is very good too. Handy for those with no headsets or PCs.

I don't think it did in January 2016 when I posted this, just images. Not sure though.

I've added a link to the 1st post on the steam thread.

I'm an admin on discord so shout if you need anything, I've removed the older text channels that were not being used like sports.

12 hours ago, King A said:

Not on the PC at the Mo, but you should be able to as well. I think I gave the @staff full permissions.

Just tried this it won't let me add any new members to staff roles.

Ignore that have created a new role & added @Mentazm 

Yup, and on mobile via the burger menu.

I can make it a menu with other options, like Browse and Store, if we have other things to link to. Rllmuk Steam group, perhaps? Whatever is worth having prominently displayed. Although, the new Clubs feature coming in 4.2 might be better for that.