IGNORED

Nintendo eShop 31st December 2015

deKay

Is this week a good week?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you're a fan of N64 extreme sports games, you might think this is a good week. Otherwise... meh. From Nintendolife!

Wii U Virtual Console

1080° Snowboarding (Nintendo, €9.99) - Perfect for the season, unless you're in the UK where it's just raining constantly, as you can blast down the virtual slopes in this much-loved skiing title. You can take on races, the half-pipe or dramatic trick jumps, and this will certainly hold some fond memories for some. We enjoyed this in our Wii Virtual Console 1080° Snowboarding review and will take another look. This is the US version of the game.

Wave Race 64 (Nintendo, €9.99) - Another extreme sports racing title from the N64 era, this time with a summery vibe as you ride the waves and try to secure top spot. At the time its wave physics were a sight to behold, and we gave it plenty of praise in our Wii Virtual Console Wave Race 64 review; we'll jump in for a fresh look. This is the US version of the game.

Wii U Virtual Console Promotion

Get 50% off either 1080° Snowboarding or Wave Race 64 when you buy the other on the same Wii U system, a reduction to €4.99 - it'll therefore cost €14.98 to buy both.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

99Moves (EnjoyUp Games, €1.49 until 28th January, normally €2.49)

Abyss (EnjoyUp Games, €1.49 until 28th January, normally €1.99)

3DS Retail Download

Story of Seasons (Nintendo, €39.99) - Actually a Harvest Moon release in Japan, this underwent a rebrand due to regional rights issues in the West. It maintains various conventional aspects of that series, such as farming and romance, while adding some pleasing new touches and plenty of charm. We gave this a recommendation in our Story of Seasons review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Nano Assault EX (Shin'en Multimedia, €7.49 until until 21st January, normally €9.99)

Castle Conqueror Defender(CIRCLE Entertainment, €3.49 until 21st January, normally €4.99)

Castle Conqueror EX (CIRCLE Entertainment, €2.99 until 21st January, normally €3.99)

Demon King Box (CIRCLE Entertainment, €2.99 until 21st January, normally €3.99)

European Conqueror 3D (CIRCLE Entertainment, €2.99 until 21st January, normally €3.99)

Tappingo (CIRCLE Entertainment, €1.99 until 21st January, normally €2.99)

Football Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, €1.99 until 28th January, normally €2.99)

Real Heroes Firefighter 3D (Zordix AB, €4.99 until 14th January, normally €9.99)

Even some of the hanabi stuff was 50hz.

Really? They took the time to slow them down?! Ridiculous.

I was referring to NEG's post about wanting the discounts to last longer than a week.

Ah. I've got him on Super Ignore.

Really? They took the time to slow them down?! Ridiculous.

Ah. I've got him on Super Ignore.

I can't remember the specifics, but I think it has something to do with how the PAL Mega Drive works. So they didn't actively make them worse. They just put in the bare minimum effort required to get it on the VC.

I can't remember the specifics, but I think it has something to do with how the PAL Mega Drive works. So they didn't actively make them worse. They just put in the bare minimum effort required to get it on the VC.

I would assume that "something to do with how the PAL Mega Drive works" is simply "we set the emulator up to emulate a PAL Mega Drive and then put the roms in it", because most Mega Drive games (and therefore their roms) are region free, and simply behave and are output differently depending on how the machine they're run through's jumpers are set (i.e. if they're set to English or Japanese language, and if they're set to 50 hz or 60 hz). Which is also why the Mega Drive is one of the easiest consoles to mod for all-region play.