2016 Gaming Predictions

Qazimod

New Zelda NX exclusive and won't see the light of day until 2017.

Nintendo officially put the Wii U out of its misery, nobody notices.

Nintendo releases the NX, nobody notices.

NX released with Mario Party, NX Sports, and New Mario Bros. Scottcr proclaims it as the greatest console launch ever.

Looks like someone had a Sega when they where a boy.

Having used PlayStation VR, if the next call of duty or battlefield releases with support for the headset, it's going to be the new normal in videogames. FPS games feel completely shit on a TV in comparison.

I think VR, if it takes off will be on PC and Consoles. Mobile and anything else that you can use on it's own outside (HoloLens) the house might go AR.

Might end up with both!

• 6 months later...

Not much mention in this thread about mobile owners going nuts for Nintendo software, until I noticed this:

On 27/12/2015 at 12:32, RubberJohnny said:

Ultimately VR will remain a niche thing that doesn't break out of gaming nerd-dom while AR gets the mainstream.

Surely Pokemon qualifies here?

EDIT: also, all of my predictions in the OP are still too early to call, Amplitude excepted.

On 12/27/2015 at 09:38, Down by Law said:

Uncharted 4 the highest rated title of the year and best sales for the series to date.

Bethesda have a good year with both Doom and Dishonored II bringing the goods

meta:

Yearly placement:

1. 93 Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

12. 85 DOOM

take that Doom naysayers

• 2 weeks later...

From last December:

On 27/12/2015 at 23:32, MW_Jimmy said:

Nintendo NX announced as a portable console that can be docked at home and used as a home console - effectively the device consolidates their two markets and.the software announced for it is wide in it's breadth of style and scope to help please all. Some major franchises are announced with a free-to-play model, much to the disapproval of the hardcore. However, Metroid is announced and looks ridiculously good.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 27/12/2015 at 20:27, Jolly said:

I'm always terrible at this, but nevermind...

1.NX doesn't make a 2016 release leaving Nintendo in quite the tricky situation; they go full steam on mobile gaming releasing, amongst others, an autoscrolling Mario platformer.

2.Faced with trying to outdo the 2015 Sony conference, Microsoft bring out the big guns at E3 and announce a Minecraft 2.

3.The Last Guardian isn't very good.

4.Kojimas first game after Konami is revealed; it's a visual novel.

5.From Software announce a Soulsborne game that combines their previous love of big stumpy robots and their current trend of action rpgs.

6.The Witness is crazy good and contains a metagame that involves finding an item in the real world setting forums alight the world over.

7.There's a new Parappa the Rapper.

8.After being shat on with Fantasia, a difficult time with Rock Band 4 and releasing an Amplitude that makes itself even more niche by having an almost exclusively techno soundtrack, Harmonix go bust. I cry myself blind.

9.The two big yearly franchises go in opposite directions with the next Assassins Creed being set in the future and Call of Duty going back to it's World War 2 roots.

10.Rockstar and Valve announce and release fuck all.

Smashed number one, the rest are hilariously incorrect. I guess if I was being ultra kind to myself a remake of Parappa was announced and Battlefield rather than CoD went backwards. Clearly my crystal ball needs a bit of a scrub.

Edit: Also, "big stumpy robots"

On 27.12.2015 at 21:27, Jolly said:

I'm always terrible at this, but nevermind...

NX doesn't make a 2016 release leaving Nintendo in quite the tricky situation; they go full steam on mobile gaming releasing, amongst others, an autoscrolling Mario platformer.

Faced with trying to outdo the 2015 Sony conference, Microsoft bring out the big guns at E3 and announce a Minecraft 2.

The Last Guardian isn't very good.

Kojimas first game after Konami is revealed; it's a visual novel.

From Software announce a Soulsborne game that combines their previous love of big stumpy robots and their current trend of action rpgs.

The Witness is crazy good and contains a metagame that involves finding an item in the real world setting forums alight the world over.

There's a new Parappa the Rapper.

After being shat on with Fantasia, a difficult time with Rock Band 4 and releasing an Amplitude that makes itself even more niche by having an almost exclusively techno soundtrack, Harmonix go bust. I cry myself blind.

The two big yearly franchises go in opposite directions with the next Assassins Creed being set in the future and Call of Duty going back to it's World War 2 roots.

Rockstar and Valve announce and release fuck all.

200_s.gif

On 27-12-2015 at 11:26, Mr. Gerbik said:

Dark Souls 3 will be the best game of the year and at least as good as DaS1.

Hitman will be a worthy sequel to Blood Money and everything I hoped for.

Deus Ex will be even better than Human Revolution, fixing all the weaknesses of the previous game.

Cyberpunk 2077 will finally be properly revealed and blow our minds but not come out until 2017.

More like my personal wishlist, but I feel like being optimistic today :)

DaS3 was fine and better than DaS2... but it didn't manage to outdo DaS1. It's not GotY either, but that says more about how unexpectedly good this year was for videogames.

Hitman was indeed worthy!

Deus Ex MD was fantastic but it didn't fix all of the previous flaws and even managed to introduce new ones.  Still enjoyed it a lot and I hope they let them make a third one. But with Square Enix you never know, it seems they would rather pump countless millions into a decade late (and still nowhere near finished!) FF and its marketing blitz, than give quality games with real potential a fair chance. See also: Sleeping Dogs.

Still no Cyberpunk sadly! But CD Projekt RED have confirmed that they're aiming for the "2017 - 2020 window" so it's not all bad news :)