2016 Gaming Predictions

Qazimod

So we have a "what are you looking forward to" thread but no predictions thread that I can see (searching for "2016" and "predictions" in thread titles in this folder.) Sadly, I don't think there was ever a predictions thread for 2015 so there's no opportunity to go back and see if we were right or wrong about things. We can, however, start over with things that we think will happen next year. Such as...

VR goggles are the new Carmageddon

The tabloids are going to be all over VR if it takes off, aren't they? Scare stories of people isolated from society, the first VR accidents getting news, and so on. Believe me, I'm as keen to get on the VR hype train as any of you, but the Daily Mails and Jack Thompsons of today are going to declare this to be the end of civilisation as we know it. Unless Civilisation VR is announced, oho!

Amplitude is really great even if no-one outside of existing series fans pick it up

Early access fans can already confirm or deny this, but I'm going to have to wait a bit longer. I think it's nice that Harmonix not only released a new Rock Band but also achieved the impossible and kickstarted a brand new Amplitude, silencing the doubters who thought that the series was dead. Unfortunately, it'll probably only still sell to a small core audience of fans, but at least it will be a fun game. :D

Persona is one of the next PS2 games for PS4

3, FES, or 4 - I don't mind, but it would be really nice. Pretty please?

Crackdown 3 delivers on the cloud gaming promise

Even though I don't own an Xbox One and joined in with the initial jokes and finger pointing, I know that this will be an important release for the system and I want it to succeed, because it could really be a showcase for the system if they pull it off. Maybe it won't be the most innovative game around, but if it lives up to the hype then it'll be a great achievement for everyone involved. :)

The Last Guardian is released

Right?

The last guardian will be delayed Into 2017 i reckon.

PlayStation VR will launch with Driveclub supporting it.

Nintendo will announce that a very cut down Zelda will launch on Wii U. The full vision will be released on NX Xmas 2016.

No man's sky will make it's release date of April 2016.

MS will continue to do good things with xboxone but will still get pounded on hardware sales by Sony.

We're probably due another Sony security breach. Been a while since the last one.

We will get some sort of official announcement about Half-Life 3 (beli3ve!). However, because I don't beli3ve that much, that announcement will either be confirmation that it's been cancelled, or confirmation that they're still working on it but without any sort of release date.

Uncharted 4 the highest rated title of the year and best sales for the series to date.Druckmann and Straley announce they are taking a break from producing. Boozy to maintain a steady supply of gifs to remind us it's actually a steaming pile of course

Deus Ex comes out after a six month delay and is still a sloppy technical mess on consoles

First proper gameplay of Shenmue III is shown and everything moans about it

Bethesda have a good year with both Doom and Dishonored II bringing the goods

Dark Souls 3 will be the best game of the year and at least as good as DaS1.

Hitman will be a worthy sequel to Blood Money and everything I hoped for.

Deus Ex will be even better than Human Revolution, fixing all the weaknesses of the previous game.

Cyberpunk 2077 will finally be properly revealed and blow our minds but not come out until 2017.

More like my personal wishlist, but I feel like being optimistic today :)

Battlefield 5 will be announced in the spring or at E3 and then released in November. Due to the continued work of DICE on the engine and the work done with Battlefront, plus with it being current gen and PC only, it'll be more stable than BF4 at launch and look incredible.

Everybody's Golf PS4 will play as great as always but it won't have quite as much charm as its predecessors due to the change in character design. It'll host some great RLLMUK tournaments.

PlayStation VR will have its release date announced at E3. It could possibly be out by Christmas.

Rockstar will announce the follow up to Red Dead Redemption at E3.

I'm going to spend silly money on a 4K capable gaming PC and an Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or both, as I've dreamed of VR ever since trying those VR arcade units in the Trocodero all those years ago :/

Next Nintendo console announcement at E3. Will be released in winter.

Zelda WiiU released around April.

Sony's VR system will get a release date at E3 and will cost £299.

Crackdown 3 will be fantastic fun and will be a showcase of what cloud computing can add to the gaming experience.

XBox One and PS4 will be sub £200 next Christmas.

We'll get a firmer release date for The Last Guardian. There may be a remastered Ico and SoTC for PS4 as a lead up to release.

Announcement on the next iteration of Gran Turismo. Release date early 2017 and maybe a prologue/demo to demonstrate what to expect. Maybe GT4 will get a HD makeover and get a PS4 release.

NX will be officially announced near E3 and released near Xmas, it will be like the rumours and will be more successful than the Wii U but less than the Wii, causing Nintendo fans to say I told you so even though it doesn't fix a lot of Nintendos long term problems. 3DS won't get an NX handheld form in 2016, will just limp on.

VR wise, I can see Oculus being high end and the best experience but not getting a lot of traction due to price; Sonys will be pushed but hamstrung by the PS4. Samsungs one will be poorly supported like everything they do, leaving Valve in the middle as the most successful and recommended one.

Ultimately VR will remain a niche thing that doesn't break out of gaming nerd-dom while AR gets the mainstream.

I'm always terrible at this, but nevermind...

NX doesn't make a 2016 release leaving Nintendo in quite the tricky situation; they go full steam on mobile gaming releasing, amongst others, an autoscrolling Mario platformer.

Faced with trying to outdo the 2015 Sony conference, Microsoft bring out the big guns at E3 and announce a Minecraft 2.

The Last Guardian isn't very good.

Kojimas first game after Konami is revealed; it's a visual novel.

From Software announce a Soulsborne game that combines their previous love of big stumpy robots and their current trend of action rpgs.

The Witness is crazy good and contains a metagame that involves finding an item in the real world setting forums alight the world over.

There's a new Parappa the Rapper.

After being shat on with Fantasia, a difficult time with Rock Band 4 and releasing an Amplitude that makes itself even more niche by having an almost exclusively techno soundtrack, Harmonix go bust. I cry myself blind.

The two big yearly franchises go in opposite directions with the next Assassins Creed being set in the future and Call of Duty going back to it's World War 2 roots.

Rockstar and Valve announce and release fuck all.

Nintendo NX, Zelda and The Last Guardian will not make it out in 2016.

Nintendo NX announced as a portable console that can be docked at home and used as a home console - effectively the device consolidates their two markets and.the software announced for it is wide in it's breadth of style and scope to help please all. Some major franchises are announced with a free-to-play model, much to the disapproval of the hardcore. However, Metroid is announced and looks ridiculously good.

Microsoft looks to emphasise the Win10/Xbox ties even further. E3 is littered with new games announced for both platforms.

New exclusive game made by Mikami announced for Win10/XB1.

New exclusive game made by Itakagi announced for Win10/XB1.

Halo MCC announced for Win10.

Scalebound will be a great critical success with an awful commercial reception.

Minecraft 2 is announced.

Resident Evil 7 is conspicuous by it's absence, but Onimusha is announced, funded by Sony. Panta Rhei engine (and thus, Deep Down) are quietly on indefinite hiatus,

Shenmue I and II announced for PS4.

God of War announced for PS4.

Playstation VR is released for around £300-£400 and is a reasonable success selling about 1-3 million worldwide in the year.

WiLD is released and at the same time Michel Ancel leaves Ubisoft. Ubisoft have a torrid 2016 and deep finanical woes cloud their future. Watchdogs 2 is kinda announced as an ARG, with a mobile downloable app, however nobody can figure out if it's actually going to be a proper console sequel.

EU improves and toughens law on digital purchases, affecting the fortunes of the mobile game industry overnight.

Sony continue to absolutely dominate in the hardware race. I see little changing in 2016 compared to 2015.

Red Dead Redemption 2 announced hopefully.

Red Dead Revolver 3. :quote:

I'm also in the camp who will be disappointed if we don't see at least an announcement about the next game in the Red Dead franchise. Even if Rockstar announced it tomorrow it will still almost certainly be over six years since Red Dead Redemption (May 2010) before they release it and it will also have been four years since Rockstar San Diego's last game, Max Payne 3 (May 2012) not only is it due, I'd argue it's overdue.

Playstation VR is the best selling but least critically acclaimed of the three "big" VR platforms.

The Witness finally comes out to a bit of a damp squib.

Dead Space 4.

VR is the new kinnect, a big success as launch day units sell out but quick to appear on ebay for sale as the software fails to live up to expectations.

The PS4 remains bulletproof in terms of sales despite more big titles being delayed by months or even being put back to next year. By the end of 2016 the PS4 AAA first party exclusive list could still be called sparse.

Uncharted 4 gets both commercial and critical success despite being quite short in terms of gameplay due to an over abundance of cutscenes and linear setpieces.

Quantum Break's TV episodes are surprisingly good, the melding of tv and gameplay actually works but this is largely ignored by the gaming media in favour of comparisons of sales figures with UC4 where it is kerb stomped and left to die.

Despite having a load of exclusives MS still keep them all until Q4.

Xbox One gets a massive update announced at E3 allowing various streaming services to play music while you play. It features per game integration and launches with Forza Horizon 3, allowing you to pick play your own music without leaving the game.

Xbox announces PC streaming on your TV via xbox one.

Driveclub announces The Isle of Mann TT course for summer, I buy a PS4.

Nintendo's NX gets maulled by gaming media for stupid technical specs reasons despite being on par / more powerful then PS4.

Titanfall 2 is announced as Xbox exclusive cloud powered behemoth that looks to change gaming forever, launches Q3/4 2017.

Ultimately VR will remain a niche thing that doesn't break out of gaming nerd-dom while AR gets the mainstream.

Who exactly is pushing AR though? 2 major players that I can see, one which doesn't have a product you can use and the other with an overpriced and underdelivering niche thing aimed at the professional market while VR is a massively contested field with way more money being poured into it and most of the brightest people interested in making it happen.

VR has more players behind It so think it'll win out early on. But fuck me it's gonna be stupid sat there with a helmet on no matter how immersive it all is.

I really though google glass would have done better than it did but they didn't seem to push it as much as I thought they would.

Who exactly is pushing AR though? 2 major players that I can see, one which doesn't have a product you can use and the other with an overpriced and underdelivering niche thing aimed at the professional market while VR is a massively contested field with way more money being poured into it and most of the brightest people interested in making it happen.

I don't think it'll be dedicated devices - it'll just be another thing phones will do once they get powerful enough, and it doesn't really need "pushing". Apple didn't care about pushing mobile gaming, but still ended up with a massive market anyway.

I can see regular people in a pub or public space playing some new form of social game that uses AR and the venue easier than I can see them all strapping on headsets to become Xanthor, saviour of the Shieldrealms.

Uncharted 4 will release with a teaser for The Last of Us 2, probably called The Last of Me

Nintendo will either reveal a brand new IP or a revival of something old and (nearly) forgotten for the NX launch (please be Metroid)

Bethesda will announce their next big project

Undertale goes multi platform

A new game in the Half Life universe is revealed (not HL3 lol)

I don't think it'll be dedicated devices - it'll just be another thing phones will do once they get powerful enough, and it doesn't really need "pushing". Apple didn't care about pushing mobile gaming, but still ended up with a massive market anyway.

I can see regular people in a pub or public space playing some new form of social game that uses AR and the venue easier than I can see them all strapping on headsets to become Xanthor, saviour of the Shieldrealms.

Hmmm, AR has been explored on mobile and handheld devices for a while now, but I rarely hear much about it so I dunno if it has any great traction even via sheer osmosis and ubiquity. If Valve, et al chose VR over AR, maybe there is something to that fact about the potential of both technologies.

Magic Leap is pretty impressive though, way more so than HoloLens turned out.

New Zelda NX exclusive and won't see the light of day until 2017.

Nintendo officially put the Wii U out of its misery, nobody notices.

Nintendo releases the NX, nobody notices.

NX released with Mario Party, NX Sports, and New Mario Bros. Scottcr proclaims it as the greatest console launch ever.