Samsung Gear VR

Is this the sort of thing I want?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOGA-Mobile-Android-Gaming-System/dp/B0096L2SJ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451513967&sr=8-3&keywords=moga+pro

Seem to be lots of different MOGA controllers (never heard of them before personally) - but won't a PS4 pad work (I can't get to mine to try it out at the moment).

Definitely will be giving both of those games you mentioned a go. Had a smashing time with Smash Hits so far.

Not sure (Google around). I bought the MOGA pro based on this:

https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/articles/205698678-Bluetooth-Gamepads-controllers-for-Gear-VR

Just been playing Quake!

http://sideloadvr.com/detail.php?id=9

Took a little fiddling as its outside of the GearVR system, but it really works well - no motion sickness at all (by default turning is controlled by your body position), so I've definitely got my VR legs now.

Recommended if you don't mind a little pissing around, and want to see how FPS games can work.

I've been spending the evening sitting on a cliffside platform talking to a guy from Arizona and a guy from Mexico in the social app V Time. Absolutely brilliant. The social side of VR is one of the things that I think is the most exciting aspects - I'm pretty sure it's going to be massive. And it actually does something that I've never seen done convincingly in a digital environment before - social network or game - in that it actually does make you feel like you're sitting there with the person you're speaking to. simply because it tracks the movement of heads so you can see who is talking and who they are talking to.

I keep bumping into the same person when I do a random matchup - so I guess there's not many people using it yet.

Using this headset is really giving me the same sense of experiencing something new that I got from using the internet back in the 90s, or even using my Speccy in the 80s. It came up several times in chats with strangers that it feels like using Yahoo chatrooms or IRC or something like that for the first time.

Yep - just had a go on it. The ones I went into were set in the Oculus cinema with people watching music videos and chatting. Funny just nodding at people. Had the briefest of chats, but its hard to strike up any meaningful discussion with American kids. To it's credit, there was a couple of girls nattering away - so even the early adopters aren't quite the demographic I'd expected.

I can kind of see what Facebook are thinking. Chatting with friends, showing holidays films and photos - undoubtedly with an advert or two showing on the cinema screen whilst it all loads up.

Just been playing Quake!

http://sideloadvr.com/detail.php?id=9

Took a little fiddling as its outside of the GearVR system, but it really works well - no motion sickness at all (by default turning is controlled by your body position), so I've definitely got my VR legs now.

Recommended if you don't mind a little pissing around, and want to see how FPS games can work.

Can you do multiplayer? The website seems to suggest so, but does it actually work?

Just ordered a Moba Pro.

Moga arrived today and downloaded Omega Agent right away - everything on the Oculus store seems to be on sale at 33% off at the moment, so that was a bonus.

It is utterly brilliant, as previously reported. So much fun jet packing around. Played it for an hour (without the Gear overheating, amazingly!) and didn't touch the missions, was just flying around looking for secrets and things you can do in the environment.

Just jetting up to the top of the world and freefalling down, it's amazing how it creates that feeling of dread that you are about to splatter all over the pavement - so much so that I couldn't actually bring myself to crash the first few times I tried it, and instinctively activated my thrusters to avoid colliding! It took me a couple of drops before I was able to override that impulse.

Moga arrived today and downloaded Omega Agent right away - everything on the Oculus store seems to be on sale at 33% off at the moment, so that was a bonus.

It is utterly brilliant, as previously reported. So much fun jet packing around. Played it for an hour (without the Gear overheating, amazingly!) and didn't touch the missions, was just flying around looking for secrets and things you can do in the environment.

Just jetting up to the top of the world and freefalling down, it's amazing how it creates that feeling of dread that you are about to splatter all over the pavement - so much so that I couldn't actually bring myself to crash the first few times I tried it, and instinctively activated my thrusters to avoid colliding! It took me a couple of drops before I was able to override that impulse.

You're using the chair control option yeah? :-)

The main missions are ok - the usual collect coins and fly through hoops. Quite hard so worth getting your flight skills up before trying. Some of them involve chasing and shooting down UFO's, which makes me think how great a multiplayer mode would be.

The missions are worth doing as they open up more of the 'hatches' on the island and there's some glorious interiors to fly around with a tonnes of secrets (and more of those damned giants balls you need to roll around).

It's such a brilliant VR experience I'm amazed more people aren't going nuts over it, but there we go.

You're using the chair control option yeah? :-)

It's such a brilliant VR experience I'm amazed more people aren't going nuts over it, but there we go.

Of course ! The swivel chair is indeed an excellent control method for gaming.

And yes, I guess as has been said already, this is due to Samsung not bothering to market this thing in any way whatsoever, from what I can tell. I went into the Samsung shop in Oxford Street and the salesman was only vaguely aware of it and had no idea there was a new version out. I guess for some reason Samsung have made the strategic decision not to bother trying to sell the thing yet.

Edit: Over here at least - which is weird, given the whole air of Britishness about the whole thing ...

Omega Agent has British flags in several places so I assume it's set in Britain or made by a British team. As is Esper I would assume, being as it is made by Wroth off of this forum, and most of us here are British. And the V-Time chat app is made by a British team - I've yet to meet a fellow Brit using it, but several of the yanks I have met have told me that most of the other people they've met have been British. Oh and one of the featured videos in the Oculus store is an Ipswich Town goal! So yeah Samsung seem to have hired mainly British people to create the software and then forgot to market it in Britain.

Urrrrgh. I've just been out to the Wild West and started trying out some of Google cardboard experiences in the GearVR (using a package disabler). Absolutely awful - jerky games and experiences (some of which don't even run), adverts and payment begging (forcing you to take the phone back out of the unit) - it's all so amateurish and fiddly. If anyone is going to ruin VR its going to be Google.

We almost made a google cardboard game, and they specifically wanted us to design it in such a way that the user would need to keep taking the phone out. Probably makes a bit more sense when you're working with a light cardboard shell rather than a full on headset.

Had a quick go on Quake this evening, and it's a pretty amazing feeling to find myself "inside" such an iconic game. It gave me more in the way of feelings of motion sickness than anything else I've played so far, though, more dizziness than actual sickness - so I stopped after about 10 minutes.

Even more adventures in Gear VR...

Downloaded the 'Tactera' demo that has now appeared on the Oculus store (using the App outside of the headset). Free, and contains a 'Skirmish' mode you can play (other options are Campaign and Multiplayer, but these are greyed out for the demo).

Anyway - another jaw dropper, and another proof of concept that undermines the thinking that VR is about the first person. This, alongside 'Herobound' should put paid that that.

It's essentially an RTS game played from within an incredible 'War room' set that delivers fantastic presence. The actual 'war' element occurs on a 3D holographic vector display in front of you. It's amazing to watch all your little vector planes fly off across the map, and bombs being thrown high above your head.

I'll be honest, I've no idea how to play these things, but the experience was remarkable. If you're an RTS fan, this demo is a proof of concept as to how RTS can be radically enhanced through VR:

I mentioned in the other thread how impressed I was at GrooVR - a free music visualiser that uses music on your phone or Spotify to created a fully immersive audio/visual experience. The default skin is ok - pretty much what you expect - but it's the other skins you can download that truly impress.

post-432-0-32398500-1452437108.png

Been trying this out over the past couple of days and am very impressed with my s6 edge plus. Resolution wise is superb and fov is pretty good aswell.

Love the interface and is just what vr needs. No going in and out of games and having to take headset of like carboard.

Highlights

Lands end - good experience, very short.

Dead secret (playing atm and what a game. This genre is perfect for vr)

Assassins creed jack the ripper short on oculus videos. Be prepared to ve anazed.

Blu vr. Great scale.

Wild vr. Shows what vr can do in the film genre nicely.

Doubt i will go oculus route down to cost and gear vr giving you the freedom to use it where ever you want.

Cant wait to see what the next few months bring :)

Looks like Alton towers are going to use a bunch of GearVR units attached to the Air ride to give the "world's first" VR rollercoaster.

They've rebranded it as Galatica:

https://www.galacticatours.com/

And it looks like the ride will involve flying around distant planets. Sounds bloody brilliant to me, I've been hoping for a go on a VR rollercoaster and now the first in the UK is opening in April this year! Whoop!

(about time Air was given a new face too).

That sounds brilliant, but aren't they going to have to attach sick buckets underneath all the headsets too? I mean - I guess the motion sickness isn't the issue as your movements will presumably be synced to the display. But even so, VR + rollercoasters sounds potentially sick making to me.

As long as what you're seeing is moving at the exact same rate as the roller coaster itself, I don't see what else would cause sickness besides what you would generally get from being on a roller coaster in the first place.

If anything, you might even get less sick, because with VR, every seat can feel like the front seat, allowing everyone to see their motion in full, instead of staring at the back of the seat hanging in front of you.

I'm so over any unease now. Completely got my VR legs - belting around Quake at high speed has removed any vestiges of motion sickness. Like I keep harping on about, body turning for movement minimises it and after that your brain becomes accustomed to this strange new world.

They are going to be incorporated into the seat, and your head will have limited sideways movement precisely to reduce the chance of nausea. What excites me is that they are already talking about different trips you can take, so that there may be a choice (or random chance) of getting a different ride each time and that there will be different destinations coming soon.

Air was already quite a tired coaster in today's world, using VR to spice it up could be really good. That area of AT is being upgraded too with a new ride due in mid-2017 being proposed to be built in the vicinity. We've got annual passes that don't run out until the end of April, so hopefully will get a chance to try it out. :)

Yeah - Virtual Fighter appears to be the Megadrive version!

Sorry was from the first page and has passed a while ago but I noticed that too in the arcade video. Was expecting the proper arcade version not the MD version which looks awful in comparison, especially its frame rate. You'd definitely expect to be playing the arcade versions would you?

• 2 weeks later...

This topic has really peaked my interest in trying out VR, but I haven't got an S6 and I'm certainly not shelling out for one just for VR when I've got a perfectly decent Moto X 2014, so I've just ordered this piece of crap for £6 from GearBest:

ykvl68R.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed to find that pretty much every game in the thread is Gear VR exclusive, but it looks like there's some very cool stuff on the Google Play store, too.

Has anyone tried TrinusVR on their Gear with a PC game?

My experience with Google VR (via the Cardboard app) has been the polar opposite to the experience i've had with the Gear curated Oculus store I'm afraid. I used a hack to access Cardboard apps and it really is night and day.

The Cardboard apps are often very poorly optimised (very jerky), plastered with immersion breaking money begging - and take a lot of fiddling through constant removal of the phone. It's very much the wild west in that space with some shockingly poor games and experiences.

It's a really bad, damaging introduction to VR in my opinion. I know Google are really now pushing in this space, but they appear so far behind the curve that I'm not sure they'll be able to catch up. Given their primary focus will be advertising, the actual VR experience will come second best I fear.

Same here, although part of the issue is that Cardboard isn't optimised or calibrated for the Gear so probably works slightly better on a real cardboard headset.

I agree with Will Smith (the ex tested.com one) on this. How many people will first experience what they have been told is 'VR'... When it's just a shite resolution 2D 360 youtube video* on a 720p phone sitting in a cardboard box? That could be really destructive to the mainstream perception of VR.

*these are so low res it's unbelievable. I have seen 3D 360 videos in far higher quality that aren't massive files or anything, so I dont get it.

As for the Gear. Love it. Surprisingly enough it's a good portable film viewer. Cocoon yourself in the netflix room with your virtual 120" tv and shut out all distractions.