Venice Cull

Samsung Gear VR

Yeah most seem to have the option but I cannot see me playing Deadhalls with the touchpad.  On a slightly different note where are the games installed to on the phone? Are they APK files? and I assume all the video's are MP4 files?

My gear VR comes today to go along with my shiny new s7 edge :)  from reading this thread it sounds like I just plug it in and will get access to the oculus store.  I also need to install and register with SideloadVR and use a vpn app to get milk vr for high quality movie viewing.  I haven't got a controller yet (unless I can use a ps3 pad) but will keep an eye out for a cheap moba.  Anything else I need to do or consider to prep?

Not really that seems to be about it although I was reading last night that you maybe can get a PS3 pad to work with it correctly if you root your phone?  What is this VPN and Milk VR thing?

I love mine - its great fun even as just a tech demo and to show friends.  It has properly sold me on PSVR.

Milk VR is a really good video app by Samsung which is only available in the US store. You can get it you install and use the Hola app for a minute and browse the Oculus store (then uninstall Hola as they are shitehawks)

I bought a stoga/ipega (I think the company rebranded) pad, the model which is a clone of the xbox one pad in shape. It was quite a bit cheaper than equivalent moga options at the time and works just  fine, quite comfortable to hold for cheap Chinese tat. There are cheaper ones but they looked awful to handle. 35 quid is way too much to pay for a phone controller in my view. I think the Ps4 pad should just work though - I don't have one.

This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00X2B3YJS/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh.wow.  this is a lot more impressive than I imagined.  So much fun and so much potential.  Managed to get steam vr working.  Stoga controller ordered!

• Upvote 1

I bought Minecraft vr having never played Minecraft before. I REALLY don't get what the appeal is supposed to be. Enough people like it that I guess I better give it more time/read up on what you are supposed to do in it to have fun..

The recently released End Space is a pretty good game. Impressive that it was made by one guy.

On an unrelated note the gear vr has shown me one thing. Head turret games are absolute crap. Dear devs, please stop making them.

2 hours ago, partious said:

I bought Minecraft vr having never played Minecraft before. I REALLY don't get what the appeal is supposed to be. Enough people like it that I guess I better give it more time/read up on what you are supposed to do in it to have fun..

The recently released End Space is a pretty good game. Impressive that it was made by one guy.

On an unrelated note the gear vr has shown me one thing. Head turret games are absolute crap. Dear devs, please stop making them.

I didn't quite get it, so bought a book to use as a tutorial while on a long distance flight (no data so couldn't use an online one). I now get it.

5 hours ago, partious said:

Five hours later, still playing? ;)

On 4/23/2016 at 7:04 PM, mr_rmg said:

Oh.wow.  this is a lot more impressive than I imagined.  So much fun and so much potential.  Managed to get steam vr working.  Stoga controller ordered!

How do you get Steam VR working and what can you do?

Looks like a few games are on sale at the moment on the Oculus store:

The discounted titles are as follows:

GUNJACK – £3.99 GBP (£7.99)

Land’s End – £1.49 (£5.99)

Bandit Six – £0.79 (£2.29)

Bandit Six: Salvo – £0.79 (£2.29)

Twisted Realms – £1.49 (£3.99)

Anshar Wars 2 – £3.99 (£7.99)

Into The Dead – £3.49 (£6.99)

Hitman GO: VR Edition – £3.99 (£5.99)

DRIFT – £5.35 (£7.99)

Dead Secret – £5.35 (£7.99)

Herobound: Spirit Champion – £3.99 (£7.99)

Dreadhalls – £2.79 (£3.99)

Darknet – £4.99 (£7.99)

End Space – £4.49 (£5.99)

Tactera – £5.99 (£7.99)

Archer B Bowman – £2.29 (£5.99)

Anything essential there?

Tried it..still gotta take phone screen protector off..and I think there are ones inside the headset? The latch to change to A or B size phone is a bit stiff, so I stayed on B when my phone (s7 edge) is really an A size (bigger), so I could see a bit extra lens on the right and border on the left. Oh and headphones dont go that loud do they.  Apart from that, what was me on a diluted experience due to those issues (and the damn oculus store and installer crashes sometimes, and downloaded my stuff 4 times), its great.  Image is like an interlaced display, I can see why they talk about needing a high refresh. Screen door effect is nothing on this, tiny. I had no sickness whatsoever, just dived in, loved it. I know its not real and I have zero comfort issues...I was like, bring on a rollercoaster, this is easy.

Impressed...just gota set up a bit more, get a phone case (shop wanted 45 quid. trololol), then take over my mothers on friday which should be fun.

• Upvote 1

does anyone know if the gear vr has plastic covers over the lenses when you get it new, I cant tell and I dont want to remove them (if they are on).

bit more fun with it tonight, 40 mins on and battery only went down about 15% which is nice, glad I got the bigger phone. steamed up a bit which was annoying, played some of that bullet game drift which is mega hard, watched some rollercoasters.

Im impressed how smooth it is, I wasnt prepared for that. Its not perfect but turning around and seeing a gun pointed in my face on drift was impressive. Its like going from no 3d, to 3d tv sort of hovering above the surface of a screen, to total 3d where you can look along a surface as if its real.  What blows my mind too is that it theoretically could have all been done years ago...its all down to clever tech in creating 2 eye view FOVs and plonking it on your face with low latency tracking. Thats it, such brilliant simplicity in a way.

Still need an answer on my goggles, do they have protectors on them out of the box?

16 minutes ago, Fury4k said:

Told you.

I wish you'd tell me if your mums has screen protectors on the lenses.

But aye, its very good indeed.

On 29/06/2016 at 2:11 AM, angel said:

does anyone know if the gear vr has plastic covers over the lenses when you get it new, I cant tell and I dont want to remove them (if they are on).

Yeah, it does. Looks miles better once you remove it too, so get 'em off!

• Upvote 1

This winter sale is quite good indeed. I have been picking up most of the daily sales (that I didn't already own).

Hadn't played gearvr in a while but playing it has me thinking that my psvr isn't really THAT much better than it. Not sure most of what psvr has to offer is worth the extra setup hassle.

Gear vr has a decent library of games now.

The Gear VR is very impressive, but I have a problem where I can only use it for a few minutes before the lenses start fogging up & no amount of adjusting the straps appears to help.

I'm still on the lookout for a solution, but i'm pretty sure it's a problem that only happens to a minority of people.