Games you recently abandoned, and why

boxoctosis

Star Wars battlefront.

It must be common to abandon this game as it lacks any depth.

No weapon progression like a modern battlefield game. You can't spot people and help out that way. Vehicles are lifeless and useless too.

I was worried it was battlefield with a Star Wars skin but it's not enough battlefield with a Star Wars skin.

I gave up on The Evil Within, today.

That's a shame because as awful as that game is from a technical stand point it had something special.

It'll never be more than a 3/5 but I remember it fondly and I plain don't like the horror genre or resident evil as a series.

I liked the ending too it's just a shame it was such a poorly made game from a technical standpoint.

Three Fourths Home

This was on sale in the Xbox Live store for £3 or £4 (I forget how much). The short video clips I seen looked interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go. It's an interactive novel; a girls phone conversations as she drives home through a storm. What I wasn't prepared for was how utterly tedious that story is. I gave up on this after about fifteen minutes, nothing remotely interesting had happened.

The controls are crappy as well. You need to hold down RT the entire time to simulate driving as you progress though the dialogue. You get dialogue options with x but also seems to sometimes take you back to the previous dialogue option. Its just frustrating rubbish, not even worth £3. Uninstalled.

Fallout 4.

The game itself is fine but totally let down by the script and the decisions.

I didn't care for of the factions and the less said about the twist the better.

It treated mature gamers like four year old kids and failed to deliver any of the narrative of Fallout 3 and especially NV.

I'm replaying KOTOR and the storyline choices etc are a million times better.

I've put in over 100 hours into Fallout 4 and I'm simply don't want to finish it. It's the first game I feel like I've wasted my time with.

Destiny

I tried to like it but the combat just bored me in the end. Far too many samey weapons and not much enemy variety. It was good while it lasted and I gave it up until Level 25 but it didn't have enough to keep me interested in the long term.

I'm going to have to admit defeat with Xenoblade Chronicles. I bought it for the Wii and gave up after about 10 hours, then bought it for the New 3DS and have played it for probably four times that. All through that time though I was telling myself I was enjoying it rather than actually enjoying it, then I got to a boss in some Tomb of the Ancients type level and am getting creamed very quickly and just can't muster the will to continue. I really wanted to like it but it's just not happening.

I love JRPGs, I loved Final Fantasy XII with which it shares some similarities, but there's just something about it that makes it feel like a grind.

I'm going to have to admit defeat with Xenoblade Chronicles. I bought it for the Wii and gave up after about 10 hours, then bought it for the New 3DS and have played it for probably four times that. All through that time though I was telling myself I was enjoying it rather than actually enjoying it, then I got to a boss in some Tomb of the Ancients type level and am getting creamed very quickly and just can't muster the will to continue. I really wanted to like it but it's just not happening.

I love JRPGs, I loved Final Fantasy XII with which it shares some similarities, but there's just something about it that makes it feel like a grind.

Sounds like every JRPG ever. I threw the towel in with all of those early in the Xbox 360's lifetime (although games like Blue Dragon were especially bad and drawn out).

And before anyone says it, Persona 3 was no better. I remember shouting at the screen at how tedious all of these kids were. The dialogue is universally woeful.

Sounds like every JRPG ever. I threw the towel in with all of those early in the Xbox 360's lifetime (although games like Blue Dragon were especially bad and drawn out).

And before anyone says it, Persona 3 was no better. I remember shouting at the screen at how tedious all of these kids were. The dialogue is universally woeful.

Yeah I gave up on Blue Dragon too actually, that was terrible.

I abandoned Bloodborne, but only after completing it about four times... How on Earth are the same people that were progressing with me still hammering away at it? Is there some hidden meta-game I failed to pick up on? 30 hours was just about enough for me.

I've recently given up on Shadows of Mordor. It's a great game but the repetitive nature of the admittedly great nemesis system got me feeling like I was making little progress (the way generals repopulate so quickly) & the main story didn't grab me to be honest (even though the missions were quite good). Just one that outstayed its welcome really...

I was given Shadows Of Mordor for my birthday last year, played it for a few hours, but left it a little too long before going back to it, by which time I'd forgotten the many button combos the game throws at you. Great game, very playable, but something just didn't grab me. Not a massive fan of LOTR so it felt like just another fantasy world. So yes, very good game, just wasn't invested in it enough to persevere.

Metal Gear Solid V

This is a weird one for me. I'm a fan of the franchise and even played through the first two Metal Gear games on my NTSC NES back in the late 80s/early 90s.

When I first started MGSV, I was blown away. The opening was fantastic, over the top and just the way I like my MGS games. Then the game started properly and went open world, and I was fine with that. For a while. During my first 10 hours, or so, I was thinking "This ismy GOTY" all the time, but little by little I was starting to lose interest. The story felt fragmented, revisiting the same locations over and over just to fetch something other than the last time got annoying and it was far too easy to find a universal collection of equipment that'd take me right through most missions without any problems.

The final blow for me was the base building thing. While promising at first, the distance between each module was just crazy and the fact that all the connected platforms were just big chunks of nothing. I really think there was potential, but I really hated going back to the base before I quit.

I ended up abandoning the game with more story missions to complete. It's a shame, because MGSV game me some of my favourite isolated moments in gaming during 2015, but overall I wish they'd stuck the old linear structure.

MGSV here too. I just couldn't face traversing another grassy plane or traipsing across my ginormous oil rig anymore. I'll probably return to it one day when it's on sale and declare it the best game ever.

I'm on the cusp of abandoning Fallout 3 as well. Being told I'm carrying too much and cannot run was boring back in 2008 and things don't seem to have moved on at all since then. Plus I do not give two shits about Sean.

• 2 weeks later...

Chalk another one up on the board... Xenoblade Chronicles X. Put about 40 hours into it, unlocked the Skell and simply can't be arsed with it anymore!

A technical miracle for the WiiU, let down by so many other baffling design decisions.

Whilst the CoD campaigns are full of bombast, the Battlefield campaigns are just so lacking in 'fun'. They try to play it so straight and end up being terribly paced and dull. Shame, as the Bad Company campaigns were better (and it isn't just an issue with the cast.)

I gave up on Transistor, too. I found the narrator annoying (much like Bastion, which I've also never felt the urge to go back to after a couple of hours) and just wasn't having any fun whatsoever.

It looked pretty though.

Bloodborne. I nearly gave up on it straight away as I kept dying over and over at the same part right near the start. Once I figured out how to actually play it though I started to realy enjoy it. I could never defeat a bad guy by myself though and always needed to call in other players which kind of ruined it a little for me as sometimes I was waiting half an hour for someone to join. Anyway I started on other games and just had no desire to go back to this so traded it on here.

Seeing as the thread for it is back on the front page (due to the PC release): Dragon's Dogma.

I completed it once, then got about halfway through a second playthrough (back in the days when I was interested in Achievements), bought Dark Arisen, played a bit of that and then just shelved it one day (a number of years ago now) and never went back. I kept telling myself I would at some point, but I didn't really enjoy Bitterback Isle, partly because it broke mages (it was all too cramped to do much other than fire-off the lowest-level spells) and by that time - I'd probably put over 80 hours into the game as a whole - there were too many little things that niggled at me. The dreadful inventory, for one.

I saw in the thread that there's a save game convertor from the X360 and I did - very briefly - consider going back to it but on reflection I really just don't care about it anymore.

For me Xenoblade X's biggest issue is that it's so needlessly complex (and crap at tracking/explaining things) that unless you play through it continually from start to finish, there is practically no hope of picking it back up once you've had a break from it for more than a few days.

Loved my first few hours but the grind soon began to set in and once I'd finally uocked the Skell it was too late as it has already started to feel a bit too much like hard work to progress any further.

• 3 weeks later...

Splatoon

I tried to like it, and I did like some of it, but after about seven hours of play I found the multiplayer far too frustrating and repetitive with only two maps available per day. Not once did I feel comfortable playing on the gamepad, after trying both with and without the motion controls turned on. Winning was satisfying, but too often it felt like it was down to luck rather than design, with lots of players just camping and going for kills instead of painting up the turf. After reading about all the love for it on here, I was quite surprised and disappointed.