rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Pandy

Euro 2016 thread

My favorite viewing statistic of Euro 2016 is that only 298 Icelanders were watching something other than the match when Iceland played England.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

My favorite viewing statistic of Euro 2016 is that only 298 Icelanders were watching something other than the match when Iceland played England.

Just goes to show it was their cup final. Silly little nation. Makes you think if they came out to attack and played a proper match just how far England could have good, what with Portugal winning.

• Downvote 4

16 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Just goes to show it was their cup final. Silly little nation. Makes you think if they came out to attack and played a proper match just how far England could have good, what with Portugal winning.

jqvKL4O.gif

• Upvote 4

On 11/07/2016 at 17:04, JohnC said:

The other final score

BBC 10.2m - 1.9m ITV

I'll have to admit - I didn't even know it was on ITV.  I just by default went to BBC One.

On 7/12/2016 at 08:51, dizogg said:

Technically it was their cup semi final.   

On 7/11/2016 at 16:38, merman said:

When Ronaldo went off (Crexit), I thought that Portugal would be lucky to win. But they did do well as a team, Eder made a huge impact as substitute and Pepe was immense in defence.

Yes, their brand of football was as ugly as Greece's in 2004.

Yes, they are probably undeserving of winning the tournament.

But they did, and owe it to the extended format.

Onwards to the glorious shambles that will be the pan-European 2020 tournament (played across 12 different countries).

It was a dreadful tournament overall, though perversely I don't think the blame can be placed firmly on the new format, but more that the most of the players didn't really turn up. The new format meant all but the Ukraine could still qualify going into the last matches, rather than seeing the usual dead rubbers that we get in the tournaments for a lot of the final group matches.

The argument is that with lesser-quality teams the standard dropped, but the flip side is that none of the 'big teams' ever really excelled, and you can't blame that on the other teams. Italy, Germany and France all had some moments, but none were good throughout.

I admit that I'm a sucker for international tournament football, so I'll watch as many games as I can regardless, but even so I think the expansion isn't a bad thing. The 2020 tournament, played across the continent, will be an interesting experiment though.