rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Pandy

Euro 2016 thread

So, who's excited about Euro 2016? Anyone manage to tickets in the ballot? Who are you seeing/what did you get?

Has anyone been put off by the security issues of late? I think for those few weeks it'll probably be one of the safest places in the world, so it hasn't really thrown me off much, but a few people I know are now not keen at all to go which is a shame. Quite looking forward to the fact we can take a week or two off and have a nice sunny holiday in France, with some football inbetween.

If anyone applied for the tickets, chances are you probably applied "blind" for the group stages as it wasn't then known who would be in each group. Thought it might be a good idea to trade tickets here if anyone now knows who do they do and don't want to see. We've got loads for the group stages (applied for as many as we could expecting to get bugger all, but almost everyone in our group got something, so that was a nice surprise), and a couple further down the line we'd be happy to potentially swap once we figure out our final numbers/where in France we'll be.

Here's a recap of the schedule:

Group stage: (all times CET)
Friday 10 June, 21.00 (St-Denis): France v Romania – Group A
Saturday 11 June, 15.00 (Lens): Albania v Switzerland – Group A
Saturday 11 June, 18.00 (Bordeaux): Wales v Slovakia – Group B
Saturday 11 June, 21.00 (Marseille): England v Russia – Group B
Sunday 12 June, 15.00 (Paris): Turkey v Croatia – Group D
Sunday 12 June, 18.00 (Nice): Poland v Northern Ireland – Group C
Sunday 12 June, 21.00 (Lille): Germany v Ukraine – Group C
Monday 13 June, 15.00 (Toulouse): Spain v Czech Republic – Group D
Monday 13 June, 18.00 (St-Denis): Republic of Ireland v Sweden – Group E
Monday 13 June, 21.00 (Lyon): Belgium v Italy – Group E
Tuesday 14 June, 18.00 (Bordeaux): Austria v Hungary – Group F
Tuesday 14 June, 21.00 (St-Etienne): Portugal v Iceland – Group F

Wednesday 15 June, 15.00 (Lille): Russia v Slovakia – Group B

Wednesday 15 June, 18.00 (Paris): Romania v Switzerland – Group A
Wednesday 15 June, 21.00 (Marseille): France v Albania – Group A
Thursday 16 June, 15.00 (Lens): England v Wales – Group B
Thursday 16 June, 18.00 (Lyon): Ukraine v Northern Ireland – Group C
Thursday 16 June, 21.00 (St-Denis): Germany v Poland – Group C
Friday 17 June, 15.00 (Toulouse): Italy v Sweden – Group E
Friday 17 June, 18.00 (St-Etienne): Czech Republic v Croatia – Group D
Friday 17 June, 21.00 (Nice): Spain v Turkey – Group D
Saturday 18 June, 15.00 (Bordeaux): Belgium v Republic of Ireland – Group E
Saturday 18 June, 18.00 (Marseille): Iceland v Hungary – Group F
Saturday 18 June, 21.00 (Paris): Portugal v Austria – Group F

Sunday 19 June, 21.00 (Lille): Switzerland v France – Group A

Sunday 19 June, 21.00 (Lyon): Romania v Albania – Group A
Monday 20 June, 21.00 (St-Etienne): Slovakia v England – Group B
Monday 20 June, 21.00 (Toulouse): Russia v Wales – Group B
Tuesday 21 June, 18.00 (Paris): Northern Ireland v Germany – Group C
Tuesday 21 June, 18.00 (Marseille): Ukraine v Poland – Group C
Tuesday 21 June, 21.00 (Bordeaux): Croatia v Spain – Group D
Tuesday 21 June, 21.00 (Lens): Czech Republic v Turkey – Group D
Wednesday 22 June, 18.00 (Lyon): Hungary v Portugal – Group F
Wednesday 22 June, 18.00 (St-Denis): Iceland v Austria – Group F
Wednesday 22 June, 21.00 (Nice): Sweden v Belgium – Group E
Wednesday 22 June, 21.00 (Lille): Italy v Republic of IrelandGroup E

Knockout phase:

Round of 16
Saturday 25 June, 15.00 (St-Etienne): Runner-up Group A v Runner-up C – Match 1
Saturday 25 June, 18.00 (Paris): Winner B v Third-place A/C/D – Match 2
Saturday 25 June, 21.00 (Lens): Winner D v Third-place B/E/F – Match 3
Sunday 26 June, 15.00 (Lyon): Winner A v Third-place C/D/E – Match 4
Sunday 26 June, 18.00 (Lille): Winner C v Third-place A/B/F – Match 5
Sunday 26 June, 21.00 (Toulouse): Winner F v Runner-up E – Match 6
Monday 27 June, 18.00 (St-Denis): Winner E v Runner-up D – Match 7
Monday 27 June, 21.00 (Nice): Runner-up B v Runner-up F – Match 8

Quarter-finals

Thursday 30 June, 21.00 (Marseille): Winner Match 1 v Winner Match 3 – QF1
Friday 1 July, 21.00 (Lille): Winner Match 2 v Winner Match 6 – QF2
Saturday 2 July, 21.00 (Bordeaux): Winner Match 5 v Winner Match 7 – QF3
Sunday 3 July, 21.00 (St-Denis): Winner Match 4 v Winner Match 8 – QF4

Semi-finals
Wednesday 6 July, 21.00 (Lyon): Winner QF1 v Winner QF2 – SF1
Thursday 7 July, 21.00 (Marseille): Winner QF3 v Winner QF4 – SF2

Final
Sunday 10 July, 21.00 (St-Denis): Winner SF1 v Winner SF2

Where can I go to buy tickets to the semi-finals and finals (as I will be in France then)?

• Upvote 2

Very much looking forward to this! Mixed feelings on the increased size as 16 seemed so perfect but great to see some new faces.

We will be in France on holiday for the first week but, sadly, there are no games anywhere near the Vendee!

I booked a half day for England vs Wales

stupid 2pm kick-off...

There's no way that KO time is staying at that time. The TV companies will be all over it trying to get it moved to 19:00ish

There's no way that KO time is staying at that time. The TV companies will be all over it trying to get it moved to 19:00ish

They don't really shift kick off times much in major tournaments because the risk of overlap, but a switch with another match isn't out of the question. Given the match that night is Germany v Poland, and the evening games either side of it involve France and Spain, the best you're likely to see is a swap with the Northern Ireland v Ukraine match later that day.

I booked a half day for England vs Wales

stupid 2pm kick-off...

Gutted was looking forward to watching it with my two boys in our first Dad's national team vs their national team (as they are Welsh).

And most of my mates will be over there supporting Wales. Cardiff boozer in an England shirt with a Cardiff City badge on my own??

It'll be my first tournament since the World Cup in Germany. Looking forward to it.

15 (marseille) - France vs Albania

17 (lyon) - Ukraine vs Northern Ireland

23 (marseille) - Iceland vs Hungary

28 (st etienne) - Slovakia vs England

29 (marseille) - Ukraine vs Poland

Those are the games I've got, plus one round of 16 game that I obviously don't know the teams for. I've also got spares for matches 28 and 29. I'm hoping to get Sweden vs Belgium to fill a long gap between games, but that might prove tough.

No idea what to do about St Etienne - I've been looking for somewhere to stay for months now, and it's looking unlikely. We have accommodation in Marseille for the night, but getting there must be impossible. At best, I think they might put a late train on to get to Lyon. I guess we'll just try to pass the time until the first train to Marseille.

Other accommodation is all AirBnB after failing to find any hotels. I don't think the people on there realised there was a tournament, so it was just standard prices. Still plenty of travel to sort out once tickets become available, but I sorted my flights out as soon as they were bookable.

Looking forward to the tournament.Not too many strong teams, but lots of competitive matches.

France always produce when hosting, hard to look past along with Spain and Germany.England, Belgium and Italy probably the best of the rest, though the Italians have an ordinary squad and have been playing insipid football for the past few cycles.never right them off, blah, blah, but i'll be a bit gutted if they manage to huff and puff their way through the tournament again.

Standard of the EE sides is mostly at typical\new post-commie low other than Poland who might have their best side since the early 80s(not saying much though).Croatia have the potential to be even better than their 2008 side and are more or less on par with Italy, but are mostly playing ordinary stuff and don't carry the same intimidation factor.Russia have their worst crop of players ever(though they've underachieved pathetically as an independent nation even when they did have a talented squad in the 90s\early 00s)and could well be embarassed here and at their world cup.What a mentally weak footballing nation they've become.

Highlight of the group stage is obviously the return of the old Austro-Hungarian rivalry to the big stage :coffee:

31 days to go then.

Roy to announce England squad Thursday, there was a leak today that's easy to find but the FA have denied that it's real.

A few friendlies remaining, perfect for picking up injuries tweaking the England side.

22nd May 17.15 England vs Turkey

27th May 19.45 England vs Australia

2nd June 19.45 England vs Portugal

Then our three Group B games:

11th June 20.00 England vs Russia

16th June 14.00 England vs Wales

20th June 20.00 England vs Slovakia

The Wales game is the pick of the bunch - should be pretty spicy.

Most sane people are hoping Hodgson is bold and goes with the in-form players and starts Kane and Vardy, but he's a bit traditional so who knows. I would definitely bring Rashford, especially if Welbeck doesn't make it. Fewer options in defence and midfield but still some very decent selections available.

Here's hoping England don't do an England.

Anyway, bring on the tournament.

12 hours ago, Shook said:

Most sane people are hoping Hodgson is bold and goes with the in-form players and starts Kane and Vardy

I keep seeing this, people calling for Kana AND Vardy. It's one or the other. 

They both play as the furthest-forward striker. Kane plays up front on his own for Spurs, with players joining from wide and midfield, in the same formation that England are likely to play. Vardy isn't going to be able to play as a number ten, so if you play both of them you're sacrificing Kane to play there. Or if you go flat 4-4-2, you have Kane playing in a formation he doesn't usually play in, and you're also playing a pretty lumpen, old-fashioned formation that doesn't suit the players we have in midfield very well.

In a 4-4-2, the center of midfield is all-important, particularly as the two are likely to be outnumbered by every team we play. This is why Leicester had so little possession in a lot of games, and why Drinkwater and particularly Kante have been so impressive. Try to pick two England central midfielder who could play against a three and do well. You can't, we don't have them.

That just depends on which system Hodgson plays. You could have Vardy wide no problem, moving in to link up with Kane. Think that's what we did in the 3-0 against Lithuania. 

I'd be inclined to start Kane and bring on Vardy at 60 minutes every match. He's a massive boost defensively as well as offensively*.

*By which I mean when we play attacking football, not that we have to achieve a certain level of racism.

Vardy spent all of last season on the wing and got about 2 goals and a single MOTM performance against Man U which you can't judge him on. Pointless wasting him there.

Vardy isn't a winger though, so you'd be playing him out of position if you shoehorn him in wide. Playing players out of position just to make sure the most popular players are on the pitch, square pegs in round holes, that's never backfired for England before, has it? 

This is also an argument for not playing Rooney in midfield, by the way. If he's not the best number ten we have, or we don't play with one, then I'm afraid he's going to have to be warming the bench. 

Edit - Rev posted while I was typing my reply. I agree with the idea of bringing Vardy on to terrorize tiring defences.

This is the team I'd like to see:

-------------------------Hart-------------------------

--Clyne-------Smalling-----Cahill----------Rose--

-----------------Dier-----Drinkwater----------------

---------Alli----------------------------Lallana-------

------------------------Kane-------------------------

------------------------Vardy------------------------

And just play at 100mph on the counter.

Hodgson has players he trusts, though, and these likely include Rooney (obvs), Milner, and swearing robot Henderson.

As his tenure is getting on I hope he takes a few risks, though.

Latest odds (from Paddy Power)

France 7/2

Germany 7/2

Spain 11/2

England 8

Belgium 11

Portugal 14

Italy 16

Croatia 25

Austria 40

Poland 40

Russia 40

Switzerland 50

Wales 80

Turkey 80

Sweden 100

Iceland 100

Czech Republic 125

Ukraine 100

Rep of Ireland 100

Slovakia 150

Romania 150

Hungary 400

N Ireland 500

Albania 500

Given Leicester's run this season, lumping on a Norn Iron Vs Albania final.

56 minutes ago, Timmo said:

This is the team I'd like to see:

-------------------------Hart-------------------------

--Clyne-------Smalling-----Cahill----------Rose--

-----------------Dier-----Drinkwater----------------

---------Alli----------------------------Lallana-------

------------------------Kane-------------------------

------------------------Vardy------------------------

And just play at 100mph on the counter.

Hodgson has players he trusts, though, and these likely include Rooney (obvs), Milner, and swearing robot Henderson.

As his tenure is getting on I hope he takes a few risks, though.

Not sure whether counter-attack is the right approach against Russia and Slovakia though, aren't they really defensive?

I don't think you need both Dier and Drinkwater. I like the idea of including Milner in the middle between Dier and the more attacking players as he can support on either wing to help out the fullbacks and that will allow Lallana/Alli/Rooney to stay essentially central behind Kane.

Holy shit, just looked at the permutations for 3rd place qualification to the knockout stage. A high point of the tournament will be listening to Jonathan Pearce trying to explain potential opponents for the home nations.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Why are we ahead of Belgium?!

If I was a betting man I'd stick 10 on Croatia.

I think £20 on Italy with a view to laying it off at the semis would be a fairly decent bet.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Very true - I was thinking of the knockout stages where we are generally outplayed.

I hope we get there! I don't know, I can see why it doesn't perhaps make sense to play Kane and Vardy at the same time but I'd love to see if they could develop something together. Pochettino thinks it's a great idea. I'd be a fairly risky England manager, keeping experience at the back but going all out at the front with youth and pace. I'd love to see Rashford play a part, I don't buy the 'he's not ready' stuff - honestly I think he'd be fearless and relish coming on late when legs are tired. 

Much like Vardy would I suppose. 

A few of the other exchanges have England at 9/1, with Belgium at 10/1 so a little closer. Also, Paddypower has Portugal pretty short, they can be picked up for 20/1 or 22/1 in other places. Croatia 30 or 33/1 elsewhere too. In short, Paddypower might not be the best place to place your Euro 2016 bet.