Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

On 2/4/2017 at 08:36, Yiggy said:

Oh man. I've got to try that Tart. I may do it this weekend. 

I know hummus is usually vegan but I just posted this recipe up on my site as it's a total staple for me. I never buy hummus any more and it's really easy to make exactly how you like it. 

http://wholesomerunner.com/2017/02/04/5-minute-hummus-sesame-free-option/

That looks great, going to try and make that with my daughter.  She's 10 and been vegetarian for just over a year (none of the rest of the family are).

Does anyone have any good suggestions for kids meals.  She''s a fussy eater but loves pasta.

I think the key is to get her involved in the kitchen.  However I am a control freak when it comes to cooking, and don't find it easy to let her join in, although she is very keen.

Please tell me I'm an idiot for worrying about a 10 year old with a sharp knife and that I should let her crack on!

@oldteadrinker 10 year old should be fine with supervision, I've had my daughter chopping veggies with me standing over her and us both holding the knife from 2 years on. She understands how to hold the knife correctly, which hand she uses, why its important, the dangers involved. 

Knife hand (right hand for her) and 'hands up safe' before trying to pick up any knife were important mantras.

On 27/06/2017 at 12:24, rocksteady said:

Yeah it's strange how quickly the "normal" becomes "abnormal". Congrats on the weight loss too!

On 26/06/2017 at 10:57, carlospie said:

Week four, down a trouser size, ibs gone......should've done this ages ago! 

Its odd, my craving for anything meat has totally vanished. People at work had a hog roast last night, it looked and smelt horrendous. 

I've been vegan for 2ish years now and absolutely don't agree! Apart from one time when I ate i bit of wild board ham and it legit tasted like urine. Generally meat looks and smells as delicious to me now as it did before I switched. That's great about the IBS though - it does seem like it's a much easier diet for the human body to handle.

Edited by Plums

My gf is Vegan (I'm getting there, I found dairy really easy to give up) it's been great learning a bunch of new recipes. We made this the other day and is straight up one of the greatest things I have tasted.

This channel is great by the way. He makes loads of things from film and TV shows to the number, sometimes with one or two variations. It's quite meaty though. 

I made some baked falafels recently, they aren't as nice as the fried ones but I'm resistant to deep-frying anything.

Just mashed a can of drained chickpea and added sauteed small onion and cloves of garlic, added cumin, cayenne and garden herbs. Rolled them, left in fridge overnight then brushed with olive oil and baked for 25 mins at 160.

They came out pretty solid, I'd make them again when I've the time.

I fancied chicken kebab meat and chips last night so I made some with quorn.

I put four of the chicken fillet shaped quorn in a pan, covered them with water and added garlic, coriander powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Boiled it until the water was all gone and then put a bit of butter in the pan to fry the now cooked fillets and to get all the coating to stick to them.

Once they were browned I just sliced them up, it turned out really well, flavour was great and the quorn was really juicy from being boiled before I fried them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 03:58, Sprite Machine said:

I don't drink tea very often but in coffee I really like Alpro's regular soya milk. It's got a slightly vanilla taste to it.

Apparently Oatly's 'barista' blend oat milk (grey carton) is the absolute nuts if you can find it.

I mean, it's the absolute oats.

I can now vouch for this, best non-dairy milk substitute for tea, by far, in my opinion. Slightly creamy taste, and doesn't split or taste grainy like other oat milks I've tried / made. 

This is currently my go to dish for something tasty that can be vegetarian or vegan for informal dinner parties etc... So tasty! I'd recommend adding wahaca's frijoles for extra yum.

https://www.veggieinspired.com/crispy-baked-cauliflower-tacos/

http://www.wahaca.co.uk/2009/08/frijoles-recipe/

The Oatly Barista milk is amazing, we use it for steaming on an espresso machine and texturally it's by far the best alternative milk.

Just an aside, but if anyone wants to try some organic veg boxes or organic recipe boxes, Abel and Cole have a code for half price boxes in your first and fourth order this month, as well as a free bottle of prosecco ("summerveg"). Normally the discount is on the fourth box only, and you just get a recipe book up front, but with the first box discount and bottle of booze, they are very good value and if you are skint you can cancel after the first delivery and just have the half price stuff (though I usually run the course of four or five deliveries and then cancel for a few months before I do the same thing over again, as I find I accumulate certain veg and ingredients). They do a good range of vegetarian and vegan recipes, and I find them to generally be good quality fresh ingredients with good customer service on the few times that things aren't right. You can also select veg that you don't like to exclude from your box, and they will substitute something else.

• 4 months later...
On 11/14/2016 at 14:33, Davros sock drawer said:

We did a roast dinner for some veggie friends the other day. Apart from the large amount of naturally vegetarian stuff we had (Roast Potatoes, Roast Carrots, Yorkshire Puds, Cauliflower Cheese, Tenderstem Broccolli, veggie gravy), I made this amazing alternative to the dry and boring Nut Roasts veggies can sometimes have foisted upon them:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/dec/15/how-cook-perfect-nut-roast

It was really, really nice. Very moist and moreish. Bit of a faff, but you can do it in advance.

A year and a bit later and I finally got around to trying this - the picture of the Guardian website doesn't make it look very appealing (can Nut Roasts ever look appealing?) and with the amount of Stilton the recipe calls for I can't imagine that it's too healthy calorie wise, but as you said - it's really, really nice.

Also you might be surprised what contains dairy products, my wife still brings home things that I can't eat, not sure why she can't just read the ingredients like I do!

I cooked a Red Thai Curry last night and it was amazing, also very simple.

Just make the paste (ingredients below), marinade some quorn pieces in it for a couple of hours (from frozen is fine), then fry up some veg, mix it all together and cook for 10 mins or so.

1 shallot

1 stalk fresh lemongrass

1 to 2 red chilies

4 cloves garlic

1 thumb-size ginger

2 Tbsp. tomato puree

1 tsp. ground cumin

3/4 tsp. ground coriander

1/4 tsp. ground white pepper 

2 Tbsp. soy sauce

1 Tbsp. Thai golden mountain sauce

1 tsp. sugar

1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp. chili powder

1 to 3 Tbsp. thick coconut milk (depending how thick you want the paste; reserve remaining for cooking the curry)

2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice

Handful of Salt

Optional: 1/4 tsp. cinnamon (or add 1 cinnamon stick to your curry pot)

Chop it all up, stick it in a nutribullet or similar and you are done.

I noticed today the Sainsbury's I work in has a new range of fresh veggie stuff - very much vegetable-based. There are a couple of mushroom-based sausages (which I'm intrigued by), a couple of burgers (cauliflower and mixed veg), marinaded cauliflower steaks (chimichurri, IIRC), and perhaps the most interesting (and the only one I think was vegan) - BBQ pulled jackfruit (a pulled-pork substitute that I've heard good things about). I'll probably give the jackfruit a go shortly - although I'm a bit wary since it's in a sweet and smoky BBQ sauce (and I'm not a fan of sweet sauces). Interested to see how well the range does - the burgers I'd pass on personally, the sossies I will give a go before passing judgement, the cauli steak and jackfruit seem like they could do well. Extra options always a good thing though...

32 minutes ago, Plums said:

Oh that's great on the jackfruit, it can be really hard to find. Probably won't have it in my local Sainsbury though. Do you remember what section they were in? Finding stuff can be a ballache.

At the moment in this store they're on the front of an aisle (or plinth as they're called) because it's a promotion - probably the front of the aisle with all the chilled soups and pizzas on for what it's worth.

I was going to suggest it's tricky to guess where it'll actually live, but then I did a quick search, and found I'd have guessed right - in the veg aisle (my guess is that these will go alongside the prepared veg, next to the cauliflower rice, courgetti, butternut squaffles etc.)

Here's the link, with a tad more info: https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/news/latest-news/2017/30-12-17-meatalts

It's worth asking if you can't find them - and with it being in the veg aisle there should always be someone who knows their stuff in the store, so if you ask someone in that section then they should at least be able to find someone who will know even if they don't (maybe first ask for the new range of veggie sossies/burgers etc, rather than pulled jackfruit, because I can imagine the blank looks that would get you from someone who hasn't come across it yet...)

I had 3 really ripe bananas last night which I froze overnight, then today put in a blender with a couple of teaspoons of smooth peanut butter, it makes a delicious ice cream subsitiute.

Pro-tip: peel bananas before freezing as peeling was difficult!

I had seitan ribs with herby potatoes and pulled jackfruit on vegan mac and cheez at the new vegan fast food place in Sheffield the other day. The seitan ribs were quite nice, but the mac and cheez tasted too salty for my liking, and I couldn't really get past there being no veg or salad on the plate at all (and the prices being so high for such a shoddy venue/presentation). I'd much rather eat at a vegetarian place near me where they do a massive plate of salad and home baked rolls with whatever you order, and have plenty of vegan choices - especially as the meal price ends up less for something much more healthy/substantial. But I guess there is a market for vegan fast food, and as a hippy vegetarian who was never much into fast food or meat replacement products I'm just not it.

19 minutes ago, geekette said:

I had seitan ribs with herby potatoes and pulled jackfruit on vegan mac and cheez at the new vegan fast food place in Sheffield the other day. The seitan ribs were quite nice, but the mac and cheez tasted too salty for my liking, and I couldn't really get past there being no veg or salad on the plate at all (and the prices being so high for such a shoddy venue/presentation). I'd much rather eat at a vegetarian place near me where they do a massive plate of salad and home baked rolls with whatever you order, and have plenty of vegan choices - especially as the meal price ends up less for something much more healthy/substantial. But I guess there is a market for vegan fast food, and as a hippy vegetarian who was never much into fast food or meat replacement products I'm just not it.

Not it that it sounds worth visiting but where is this vegan fast food place?

There are two, very near each other, as well as a vegan cake shop that is amazing. Steel City Cakes on Abbeydale Road gave us a massive amount of delicious cakey goodness, and a vegan sausage roll and lots of delicious drinks for a very good price. Just look at their "taster plate"!caaaake.thumb.jpg.e179ac1f181136bcd6681f6e8ade95bd.jpg

BurgerLolz is next door and run by the daughter of the woman behind Steel City Cakes and was the place we tried. The food was good, if you like true fast food - meat replacements and carbs - and people rave about it. So maybe I was alone in finding the mac and cheez salty. But the toilet was mouldy all down the wall, with a broken chain and a squirt of water that splashed you each time you flushed; the basin had a broken tap; the plates were chipped, and the place is very basic, and there were no vegetables, salad or garnish in sight. However the milkshake replacements on the next table looked amazing, and as I said the seitan ribs were good. My kids seemed to like the hotdogs, which came in a part-baked mini-baguette that had been briefly seared in a sandwich press. My other half said the burger was okay but a bit dry and would have benefited from some relish and salad.

The other option we haven't tried yet is Leave Make no Bones which is pretty much parallel to the other two, but on Chesterfield road. Again, it has good reviews, but is mainly a fast food place with vegan meat replacements, although the menu seems to be a bit wider. We'll probably give it a go some time, as we go into Sheffield at least once a month and again it is on the right side to drive past on our way to Waitrose or the cinema.

Oh, and if you want a trip out, my recommendation is for the Green Way cafe in Matlock. All vegetarian with amazing soups, salads, deli meals (where you choose from a range of pates, olives and cheeses to go with fresh baked rolls and a massive salad) and savouries, as well as drinks and cakes. It is a family run place, with a really friendly atmosphere. They always have vegan options on the menu, and have been great about working round allergies.

Edit: Make No Bones was great, had a really good meal there for a reasonable price.