Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

On 16/01/2017 at 13:13, Davros sock drawer said:

Nice one.

I had the challenge of making a vegan dessert at the weekend. Found this amazing recipe for a Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart:

http://www.lazycatkitchen.com/vegan-chocolate-and-salted-caramel-tarts/

6D989F04-C6FB-462C-A33C-BB9340E5F1CA_zps

55883613-7F98-421E-93EE-C6DA7319A7CE_zps

I didn't have any small tart cases, so I doubled the recipe and made one large one. And it was really lovely. There is no way anybody would ever detect there was anything especially "vegan" about it, flavour-wise. 

*Drools*

• 2 weeks later...

B549DE0D-6409-4A81-BBB2-A141CBC88DD5.JPG

Want to make a veggie burger that isn't a complete sack of congealed semen? Take a Simon Howie vegetarian haggis, microwave per instructions until just pliable, then form into four patties. You could use another brand but why not just fuck off instead. Fry until it looks like a delicious bastard then serve, ideally with some pickled beetroot slice on top.

Fuck aye.

On 17/11/2016 at 21:03, Davros sock drawer said:

That's pretty much the same list of ingredients I used. I only had dried beans, which was a faff, but they're so cheap.

I've been veggie for 12 years and I've never made baked beans before. I am going to do this today!

• 4 weeks later...
Nice one.

I had the challenge of making a vegan dessert at the weekend. Found this amazing recipe for a Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart:

http://www.lazycatkitchen.com/vegan-chocolate-and-salted-caramel-tarts/

6D989F04-C6FB-462C-A33C-BB9340E5F1CA_zpsbfxj05cz.jpg

55883613-7F98-421E-93EE-C6DA7319A7CE_zpstqshqdey.jpg

I didn't have any small tart cases, so I doubled the recipe and made one large one. And it was really lovely. There is no way anybody would ever detect there was anything especially "vegan" about it, flavour-wise. 

I made this today.

fbe546bd06e8493e2be0616deff4a2d7.jpg

Looks good right?

It was utterly awful. Completely my fault as I had burnt the shit out of the caramel and made the fatal mistake of ploughing blindly on putting it together without tasting it first. I was giving it all the big man when I was making it as well. Got the kids proper excited. They took one bite of it (bless) and both made a face like a shrivelled prune.

The biscuit was gorgeous to be fair and the ganache was proper nice. It just had an all enveloping sour burnt mash glue sandwiched in the middle. Still. You've got to try these things. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2017 at 11:34, Fusty Gusset said:

X Post from McMuffin thread...

Game Changa!

IMG_5326.JPG

I buy the Cauldron veggie sausages, mash them up, add a little butter and form patties and then coat with a bit of flour and fry. Delicious. 

How were these? 

• 2 weeks later...

That sauce looks close to what I tend to make, although I've always added Tommy P after the tinned toms as a "beefing up" afterthought. I'll try making them essential, bringing them forward and frying them out - that sounds like it should work well. Italian cooking is properly brilliant for veggies - proper peasant food that's effortlessly veggie and tastes fantastic, and much easier to get right than Indian (the other main contender).

The thing that interests me most though is the idea that whole tinned tomatoes are better than chopped ones. For many years now I've felt the same, but didn't know if I was imagining it. I don't think my palette is particularly good, but this is one where I've made a call, and I only ever buy whole ones. It takes a few seconds to chop or squish them if you want them in bits anyhoo, and you have the option to keep them whole if you want.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, wondering what people are using as a milk substitute in tea. So far oat milk has been the winner, but it's still not quite right, mainly due to how it turns the tea slightly grainy. Does anyone have any suggestions? Black / with lemon is not an option..

I don't drink tea very often but in coffee I really like Alpro's regular soya milk. It's got a slightly vanilla taste to it.

Apparently Oatly's 'barista' blend oat milk (grey carton) is the absolute nuts if you can find it.

I mean, it's the absolute oats.

On 2017-5-23 at 03:28, TurningMonster said:

Hey guys, wondering what people are using as a milk substitute in tea. So far oat milk has been the winner, but it's still not quite right, mainly due to how it turns the tea slightly grainy. Does anyone have any suggestions? Black / with lemon is not an option..

Standard Alpro all day every day.

On 2017-5-30 at 17:13, Plums said:

Standard Alpro all day every day.

@TurningMonster I tried hemp milk for the first time (Good Hemp brand) and it is really quite something. Actually almost indistinguishable from dairy milk, down to the colour, plus it doesn't split in hot drinks. Perhaps too much like dairy milk, since I find the taste of it too strong since giving it up.

It's more expensive than soy, but I find I can use quite a lot less in tea since it tastes so strong. I should say actually I only have it in tea! So my taste comment above may be totally false if you're drinking it on it's own.

Never replied before, apologies. I didn't get on with soy milk in tea. I have tried one brand of hemp milk and found it to be quite bitter, perhaps I'll try a different one. Been vegan for coming up 6 weeks now and I'm surprised how easy it has been. Going from eating meat to pescatarian at the beginning of the year was much tougher. It's nice now to be at the stage where I'm not constantly craving stuff and quietly honestly there's an unbelievable amount of vegan products out there to try. Not sure if you guys have the So Delicious brand over there, but they make some amazing cashew based ice-cream, genuinely as good as any dairy version I've ever had. Also had these for the first time the other day - 

Plant-based-Beyond-Burger-to-roll-out-ac

So good!

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2017 at 18:17, carlospie said:

Today is my three week anniversary of turning vegan, it's been surprisingly easy. I'm hoping my body is acclimatising to it and il start dropping some pounds in weight soon 

Week four, down a trouser size, ibs gone......should've done this ages ago! 

Its odd, my craving for anything meat has totally vanished. People at work had a hog roast last night, it looked and smelt horrendous. 

God I made a dark chocolate and banana 'sundae' today, can't get off the loo. It tastes good though! 

What do people take take to work with them? I have the same thing everyday, falafel and homous wrap. Simple and good. Need to try making my own falafel tbh

i just made a chickpea masala, easily the best thing Iv had since the turn. 

@carlospieChickpea masala is the BEST.

For lunches I generally have raw veggies, houmous and some form of antipasti like olives, sun-dried tomatoes or something. 

Or this, which is delicious (I leave the feta out to make it vegan

http://mayihavethatrecipe.com/childhood-memories-salad-with-zaatar-croutons-tangy-tahini-dressing/

I was vegetarian for 2 years and went vegan in April. The only thing I miss is chocolate but I made this cake and it totally scratched that itch:

https://veggiedesserts.co.uk/best-vegan-chocolate-cake/

I find Pinterest is great for finding new recipes. I also have the Meera Soda Fresh India book which is all vegetarian recipes but most can be made vegan. If you like chickpea masala I can guarantee you will enjoy a lot of the recipes. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AU5V8QE/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Since making the change so many people have said "what do you actually eat?" but honestly I eat a much better and varied diet than I ever did when I was a meat eater. :)