Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

Opinionated Ham Scarecrow

19 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Looking for some advise if that is alright, I've always taken a Holland & Barrett multivitamin since going vegan to just top up anything which I may be missing. I'm running out on the one I've always taken and checked and they have discontinued it, now the only vegan version similar to mine  is a High Strength option which I don't really need, plus its more expensive.

Looking at what else they have, I found this one which states its suitable for vegetarians, I tried having a look over the Ingredient and its all rather confusing but can't see what makes it not vegan friendly. Anyone have any idea?

The list of the vegetarians version Ingredients:

Hide contents

Bulking Agents (Calcium Carbonate, Microcrystalline Cellulose), Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid), Corn Starch, Niacin (Nicotinamide), Vitamin E (d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acid Succinate), Vitamin A (Retinyl Acetate), Pantothenic Acid (d-Calcium Pantothenate), Maltodextrin, Glazing Agents (Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA), Carnauba Wax), Anti-Caking Agents (Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Tricalcium Phosphate), Stabiliser (Cross-Linked Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose), Thickeners (Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Sodium Carboxymethyl Cellulose), Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol), Vitamin K (Phytomenadione), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), Folic Acid (Pteroylmonoglutamic Acid), Antioxidant (L-Tartaric Acid), Biotin (d-Biotin), Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin).

Or if Holland and Barrett do another type which is friendly that anyone can recommend at all, as I get a discount from them? 

Magnesium Stearate may not be vegan. There are vegan sources, but there are non-vegan ones too. Stopped checking there but there may be others.

Are you sure you need supplements? In a different thread (I can't remember which) someone posted a list of what was worth taking (assuming a reasonably balanced diet), and the only thing I think I recall maybe needing is Vitamin D, and I can't say I notice any difference now I'm taking it (although it's meant to be good for the immune system, so I'm going to carry on, cos I still haven't caught anything).

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried Dug potato milk yet? I saw some people on facebook raving about it so I gave it a go and it was an absolute revelation. If you've ever tried a plant based milk substitute and thought "yeah, this is ok but it's missing that all important flavour of sugary potatoes", give this a go. You won't be disappointed.

I got a carton of a new Alpro one reduced on its use-by-date - called This Is Not Milk. Put it this way - I won't be calling Advertising Standards over that. It is apparently oat milk, with some pea protein. It didn't taste of oats particularly, and could possibly have been nice if wasn't so sweet. It was about half-way to a vanilla milkshake. Luckily it cost me 20p, so I didn't mind pouring it down the sink.

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like that one, actually (the blue one) and it's now my preferred choice on the weekly shop.

Speaking of shopping, we have a new alt cheese contender that I'll be on the lookout for.

https://www.cathedralcity.co.uk/our-cheese/plant-based/

It's getting some good feedback, apparently possessing that sharpness that a lot of alt cheeses lack.

Just available at Tesco at the mo, I think.

55 minutes ago, Reynard said:

I quite like that one, actually (the blue one) and it's now my preferred choice on the weekly shop.

Speaking of shopping, we have a new alt cheese contender that I'll be on the lookout for.

https://www.cathedralcity.co.uk/our-cheese/plant-based/

It's getting some good feedback, apparently possessing that sharpness that a lot of alt cheeses lack.

Just available at Tesco at the mo, I think.

Will look out for it when I next take a walk out to the large Tesco. The sharpness would be welcome. The "not tasting of Wotsits" is what I'm really after. But I live in hope...

I've been trying in vain to track down the block of this stuff at a fair number of Tesco branches.

Got the sliced version from a large Tesco last night - they had the sliced and grated on the shelf and an empty space for the block.

Sliced was on Clubcard - 2 for £4. While £2 for a pack of sliced alt cheese seems reasonable, you do get fewer slices than other brands (6 versus the 10 of most others).

They call them 'large/for sandwiches' on the packet but, looking at the weight, the pack is only 150g, whereas I think most others are 200g.

So, in sliced form, definitely on the pricier end.

Just tried half a slice on its own....I don't know what that reddit post was referring to on the scent front, as it pretty much smelt like most other alt cheeses.

Eating-wise....pretty good. I wouldn't say it's massively sharper than other cheeses. Possibly if you eat a chunk of it rather than a slice, it's likely an accumulative effect.

Still had the background hum of fake cheese though.

My verdict: it's likely the best (better than, say, Violife's 'Epic Mature'), but it's not a world of difference and I'm unsure if it's worth the extra.

Can suggest a nice cheap frozen multipack pie.  

Used to adore the Birds Eye Green Cuisine Meat-Free Chicken Pies (pack of four), but looks like are discontinued according to their website.  

The Tesco Plant Chef No Meat Pie (pack of four) was great, but all my local stores including an Extra haven't had them for the last few months.  

Tried the Sainburys Plant Pioneers No Steak Pies (pack of four) a while back and was not a fan, they may of improves recently. Marks and Spencers only do (a lovely but not cheap) mushroom pie but they are individual.  

The Linda McCartney's Meat Free Country Pies (pack of two), are quite bland.

Iceland don't seem to do any pies in their No Meat range. Nor do the Co-op in all the stores nearby.

I don't have a ASDA, Morrisons, Waitrose near me and places need to be walking distance.

Anyone have suggestions of a decent frozen pie that comes in a multipack range at all? Prefer not to do online delivery purely for a single item.

On 21/09/2022 at 13:35, Reynard said:

I've been trying in vain to track down the block of this stuff at a fair number of Tesco branches.

Got the sliced version from a large Tesco last night - they had the sliced and grated on the shelf and an empty space for the block.

Sliced was on Clubcard - 2 for £4. While £2 for a pack of sliced alt cheese seems reasonable, you do get fewer slices than other brands (6 versus the 10 of most others).

They call them 'large/for sandwiches' on the packet but, looking at the weight, the pack is only 150g, whereas I think most others are 200g.

So, in sliced form, definitely on the pricier end.

Just tried half a slice on its own....I don't know what that reddit post was referring to on the scent front, as it pretty much smelt like most other alt cheeses.

Eating-wise....pretty good. I wouldn't say it's massively sharper than other cheeses. Possibly if you eat a chunk of it rather than a slice, it's likely an accumulative effect.

Still had the background hum of fake cheese though.

My verdict: it's likely the best (better than, say, Violife's 'Epic Mature'), but it's not a world of difference and I'm unsure if it's worth the extra.

I bought a block of this and blind tasted it against a block of mature cheddar and you could 100% pick out the vegan one, it's texture is just slightly powdery and there's a hint of that coconut based fake cheese taste to it.

The difference is very slight though, I can understand why people have been excited, it's much better than the Violife stuff.

21 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Anyone have suggestions of a decent frozen pie that comes in a multipack range at all? Prefer not to do online delivery purely for a single item.

Can't help I'm afraid. The only pie I tend to eat is the one I make each year for Christmas. Usually mushrooms, chestnuts and leeks. It usually turns out nicely.

I say pie - it's often more of a huge pasty, because I just buy a sheet of ready made shortcrust, stick the filling on top of one half then fold it over and crimp the edges shut. Might look at doing a different filling this year to change things up a bit...

I've just thought - if I wanted to be lazy, I could buy a tin or two of something like veggie curry or chilli and chuck that in as the filling. Would take minutes... I might give that a test this week - I need something to accompany some bits I want to use up.

1 hour ago, Gigga said:

I bought a block of this and blind tasted it against a block of mature cheddar and you could 100% pick out the vegan one, it's texture is just slightly powdery and there's a hint of that coconut based fake cheese taste to it.

The difference is very slight though, I can understand why people have been excited, it's much better than the Violife stuff.

Now that I've gotten over the initial (slight) disappointment and have gone through a full pack, I agree that it's definitely better than Violife and will be my go-to for sure (price permitting).

In other cheese news, the plant-based Babybel are really good and are currently on offer at Sainsburys: pack of 5 (not 6 like the others....vegan tax) for £1.50.

https://www.babybel.co.uk/cheese-snacks/babybel-plant-based/

I also bought the new Plant Chef 'Mature Cheddar' alternative, as it would be a well priced one at £2.20 for 200g if it's nice.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/311786247

It's decent, but is mild, not mature at all.

On 25/09/2022 at 15:36, grounded_dreams said:

Can suggest a nice cheap frozen multipack pie.  

Not fake meat based but Sainsbury's do a frozen vegetable pie with a cheesy sauce that's quite nice considering they're only £2.50 ish for 4. It's located by the normal meat pies. Much nicer than all the other veggie pies. Not vegan though, if that's what you're after. The best part of all these pies is the lid though, isn't it?

• 1 month later...

I watched Hogwood on Netflix last week. 

Jesus fucking Christ. Always feel guilty about the effects on the planet. It does affect me how Dairy cows live their lives. But this was all something else regarding animal welfare.
And in addition, the information about pre-emptively pumping animals with antibiotics so they can survive the farming process; very, very scary. And I can totally believe it happens. 

So my partner and I are going to go as vegan as possible. I can do without meat. Milk and eggs are harder, but we have an egg vending machine just down the road and always see the chickens out in the grass. So that may be okay. Just need to find something to replace whole milk. 

We’re really inspired by most Asian cooking. Watch a lot of Korean housewives cooking family meals. Lot of inspiration. 
I can eat rice every day and we’re going to try and get a hold of more mushroom species. Veg and flavour isn’t a problem with this style of food either. May continue to eat seafood. 

Had some great meat free teriyaki beef tonight. Literally can’t tell the difference. 

So yeah, I need a milk substitute. I have whole milk on my cereal and as a drink with spicy foods. I’d never go back to semi skimmed so that’s sort of the bench mark. I do specifically like the flavour of it. 

What kind of cereal is it? Most pretend milk has a residual taste of what it's made from, so almond ones are ok on nutty cereals and granola, oat ones on muesli, etc. The closest I ever found to whole milk was one of the Oatly ones, maybe the blue-grey carton I think? You're looking for something with a bit of oil in to get that creamy texture.

6 minutes ago, Exidor said:

What kind of cereal is it? Most pretend milk has a residual taste of what it's made from, so almond ones are ok on nutty cereals and granola, oat ones on muesli, etc. The closest I ever found to whole milk was one of the Oatly ones, maybe the blue-grey carton I think? You're looking for something with a bit of oil in to get that creamy texture.

Just plain shreddies at the moment. Sometimes it’s one of those granola clusters with freeze dried berries. But needs to compliment malt I guess. And have as little texture or grittiness as possible.  

21 hours ago, NexivRed said:

So yeah, I need a milk substitute. I have whole milk on my cereal and as a drink with spicy foods. I’d never go back to semi skimmed so that’s sort of the bench mark. I do specifically like the flavour of it. 

Oatly Whole is my favouite. It absolutely does taste oaty, but that works really well with cereal - it already tastes like it's had some in (which I kinda like - I love the milk at the end of a bowl of cereal). (I still liked it in tea, mind). If you want to amplify that cereal thing then Jord brand does an oat milk with barley - it tastes like it's had Shreddies sitting in it. It's nom, and again works ace on cereal, but probably less good anywhere else.

On 03/11/2022 at 17:51, MarkN said:

Oatly Whole is my favouite. It absolutely does taste oaty, but that works really well with cereal - it already tastes like it's had some in (which I kinda like - I love the milk at the end of a bowl of cereal). (I still liked it in tea, mind). If you want to amplify that cereal thing then Jord brand does an oat milk with barley - it tastes like it's had Shreddies sitting in it. It's nom, and again works ace on cereal, but probably less good anywhere else.

I had a latte today with the Oatly whole. Really delicious and creamy. It would definitely work with cereal. I didn’t need any sort of sweetener in the coffee (I’m quite a mild coffee drinker), but a dash of skinny syrup was really nice. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update: my partner and I have found it extremely easy to be vegetarian 90% of the time. It helps that there are fairly decent meat substitutes, (had some teriyaki “beef”, and “chicken thigh” in a couple of curries), but honestly I could ditch even those.

Potato and mushrooms are easy replacements, and bulking shit out with chopped baby corn, broccoli stems, peas etc is easy and barely changes the flavour of anything.  

I say 90% of the time as we chose to have a roast dinner at Jimmy’s farm. I ate pork from the farm. Plus the children still have meat now and then if it’s part of their limited acceptable menu. But the eldest eats mostly curry or noodles, so should be easy to convert him. 

Oat milk has not only been tasty, but it’s way more filling than cow’s milk. A large latte serves as a breakfast/brunch. 

Veganism has been a little harder, mostly because of cheap mayonnaise and yoghurts. Plus all the little factors in other foods you wouldn’t automatically consider to be animal based. But we’re conscious about it. 

Our £5 microwave rice cooker from Aldi has been amazing for this new way of eating. It makes amazing Jasmin rice, which we’ve started buying in huge sacks from ethnic food markets. It’s a brilliant staple and is definitely aiding weight loss rather than being stodgy and causing me to gain weight which I was worried about. 
Rice + vegetables can be cooked in so many different ways that we basically eat it all week but have a different meal every day.

Not just that, but the combination of rice, gluten free soy sauce, black and white sesame seeds and a bit of mayo is so fucking tasty, filling and pleasing that I actually go to bed at a better time at night because I have a lunch to look forward to the next day. That’s massive for someone with eating difficulties like me (no appetite, chocolate/dopamine addiction, bland autistic pallet).

You're doing brilliantly. Currently my meat sub of choice is Linda Mac's frozen Hoisin Shredded duck thing - if you can get it on offer it's a doozy.

Mushrooms are basically made of magic - full of lots of good stuff, but fuck all calories. Don't know how they manage it. Absolutely essential.

Other staples as a veggie are dried red lentils (they need 20 minutes in boiling water and bulk out everything - if I had to pick one ingredient I use in almost everything it would be this - stews, soups whatever, these will thicken and finish anything you throw them at) The one thing I'm never without. I'm doing a storecupboard challenge elsewhere on this forum. I've got enough red lentils to last me years. They're the best.

FWIW most vegan Mayo is fucking nommo - really good. Hellman's Baconnaise is very good, and I'm not the biggest fan of bacon. I know it's expensive, but consider how much you use compared to staples. A jar lasts ages. Well worth a little outlay.

if you have a Heron Foods near you they have the Heinz Vegan Mayo for 50p. Heron foods is actually fantastic for cheap vegan stuff. Home Bargains had the Hellmans vegan chipotle mayo for 50p recently too.

It's ridiculous that they mark it up to £2.50 in the supermarkets.

Thank you for further tips! I just learnt Heron Foods existed today actually, so we’ll check them out. 

Decided to make the choice to have burgers at Tim Hortons tonight after partner got back from London super late. 

We both had to sort of go to sleep afterwards cos we felt really unwell. Like a bit high. Palpitations. Buzzing. Felt fucking awful! Could it have been a reintroducing of big meats?? Was not a fan. Felt like a vodka and redbull hangover. 

One addition re: vegan mayo. The exception for me for them all being good is any sriracha, spicy or garlic ones I've tried, where the supposed flavour is usually so weak as to be practically homeopathic. I've ended up adding big dollops of chilli sauce or garlic paste to the jar to get some pizzazz into them. YMMV, obvs.

On 23/11/2022 at 16:06, NexivRed said:

Update: my partner and I have found it extremely easy to be vegetarian 90% of the time. It helps that there are fairly decent meat substitutes, (had some teriyaki “beef”, and “chicken thigh” in a couple of curries), but honestly I could ditch even those.

Potato and mushrooms are easy replacements, and bulking shit out with chopped baby corn, broccoli stems, peas etc is easy and barely changes the flavour of anything.  

I say 90% of the time as we chose to have a roast dinner at Jimmy’s farm. I ate pork from the farm. Plus the children still have meat now and then if it’s part of their limited acceptable menu. But the eldest eats mostly curry or noodles, so should be easy to convert him. 

Oat milk has not only been tasty, but it’s way more filling than cow’s milk. A large latte serves as a breakfast/brunch. 

Veganism has been a little harder, mostly because of cheap mayonnaise and yoghurts. Plus all the little factors in other foods you wouldn’t automatically consider to be animal based. But we’re conscious about it. 

Our £5 microwave rice cooker from Aldi has been amazing for this new way of eating. It makes amazing Jasmin rice, which we’ve started buying in huge sacks from ethnic food markets. It’s a brilliant staple and is definitely aiding weight loss rather than being stodgy and causing me to gain weight which I was worried about. 
Rice + vegetables can be cooked in so many different ways that we basically eat it all week but have a different meal every day.

Not just that, but the combination of rice, gluten free soy sauce, black and white sesame seeds and a bit of mayo is so fucking tasty, filling and pleasing that I actually go to bed at a better time at night because I have a lunch to look forward to the next day. That’s massive for someone with eating difficulties like me (no appetite, chocolate/dopamine addiction, bland autistic pallet).

Im a part time veggie (partner is veggie) and dont each much meat and try and only eat decent meat when I do - with the milk (assuming you have given up on cows milk, its not all bad and if you know where its coming from and the cows are in the field eating grass there is a decent argument its far less damaging to the planet than any of the alternatives) then there are a few barista versions of the oat / almond and they are particularly good and worth a try.

We have also got loads of decent recipes from Gousto and 9 times out of 10 having a veggie meal with vegetables is much better than haven’t a fake meat meal - worth a look for inspiration, we still get it but have loads of recipes we use but just buy the ingredients!

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Im a part time veggie (partner is veggie) and dont each much meat and try and only eat decent meat when I do - with the milk (assuming you have given up on cows milk, its not all bad and if you know where its coming from and the cows are in the field eating grass there is a decent argument its far less damaging to the planet than any of the alternatives) then there are a few barista versions of the oat / almond and they are particularly good and worth a try.

We have also got loads of decent recipes from Gousto and 9 times out of 10 having a veggie meal with vegetables is much better than haven’t a fake meat meal - worth a look for inspiration, we still get it but have loads of recipes we use but just buy the ingredients!

Yeah, we have barista oat milk. Apparently it froths up pretty decent but I’ve been too lazy to do that part lately lol. I find it really tasty and pretty filling though. 

For me, the real issue with dairy is if their calves are taken from them. It would need to be a farm that didn’t support that. We’ve still got Frubes and regular Greek yoghurt in the house for the kids though. Need to try and replace those.