Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

Opinionated Ham Scarecrow

Halloumi is also another good veggie alternative (it seems to have replaced goats cheese as the omnipresent thing on veggie menus across the country). I make a version of a ready meal Marks and Sparks did a few years back with it. It's a cannellini bean and lentil cassoulet with lots of chunky onions and chargrilled red and yellow peppers topped with slices of fried halloumi. Really good stuff. Since the halloumi gets chucked on right at the end though it would be dead easy to add something more traditionally cassoulet-ish like sausages to make a meaty version.

I've never bothered to make a risotto, but that might be another good option for something where you could make a nice veggie-friendly base and then crown it off with a lump of something meaty/veggie to suit each of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go veggie until Xmas about 3 weeks ago, but to be honest I'm really enjoying it so I might carry on. I've always loved all veg, so it hasn't felt like any sort of hardship, and I've also been cooking a lot more, which is something I'd let drift in recent years.

We did a roast dinner for some veggie friends the other day. Apart from the large amount of naturally vegetarian stuff we had (Roast Potatoes, Roast Carrots, Yorkshire Puds, Cauliflower Cheese, Tenderstem Broccolli, veggie gravy), I made this amazing alternative to the dry and boring Nut Roasts veggies can sometimes have foisted upon them:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/dec/15/how-cook-perfect-nut-roast

It was really, really nice. Very moist and moreish. Bit of a faff, but you can do it in advance.

Yeah, it was nice enough that I'd consider making a couple of them at the weekend to pop in the oven during the week. 

I followed the recipe exactly this time, but I'm sure it could be easily varied if you don't have certain ingredients to hand. Chestnuts can sometimes be a hassle to find for example. Found some nice ones at Holland & Barrett though.

That looks great. Did you actually bake them, or do them on the hob (that's the way I've always tended to make them)?

Borlotti beans are one of my favourites - properly tasty little buggers. You can also find them in the World Food aisles of some supermarkets under the name "Rosecoco beans". Morrison's often have these in a mix-and-match, 4 tins for a quid offer which makes them stupidly cheap. One of the relatively unsung side-effects of eating veggie is that if you avoid fake meat alternatives it can be really cheap to eat well.

13 hours ago, MarkN said:

That looks great. Did you actually bake them, or do them on the hob (that's the way I've always tended to make them)?

Borlotti beans are one of my favourites - properly tasty little buggers. You can also find them in the World Food aisles of some supermarkets under the name "Rosecoco beans". Morrison's often have these in a mix-and-match, 4 tins for a quid offer which makes them stupidly cheap. One of the relatively unsung side-effects of eating veggie is that if you avoid fake meat alternatives it can be really cheap to eat well.

It's pretty cheap to eat Quorn in comparison to meat if you stick to the basics and buy loads when it's on offer.

It's also very cheap to make Seitan at home. It's just Wheat Gluten & Nutritional Yeast Flakes with some flavourings but it has a nice stringy texture.

I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the Quorn stuff. I mean, I've eaten it before when my gf was full-time vegetarian, but it seems to have improved.

I like the frozen Linda McCartney sausages as well, and they have the side benefit of being about half as calorific as meat ones.

This is the recipe I used. I tinkered with it a bit though. Different beans, white onions, and no pancetta of course. I also added some marmite and some tomato purée:

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/baked-beans/

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2016 at 16:00, Sprite Machine said:

We've tried a few recipes from Minimalist Baker recently.

Their red lentil chili has gone down swimmingly with friends and family; it's delicious and easy to make: http://minimalistbaker.com/1-pot-red-lentil-chili/

I made this yesterday, however I used my own spice mix. 3 tablespoons of chilli powder seemed excessive. Did you follow it to the letter? 

I like spicy food but 1 jalapeño and 1 teaspoon of chili power was enough for my family I could have had a bit spicier. 

14 minutes ago, davadvice1 said:

I made this yesterday, however I used my own spice mix. 3 tablespoons of chilli powder seemed excessive. Did you follow it to the letter?

I did, yeah. I found it just about right but I do enjoy a chilli with a bit of bite.
Goes nicely with avacado to cool down.

We've also tried their red lentil bolognese, which is lovely.

Yeah - you should be able to get red lentils in any supermarket. They'll usually be in the wholefoods section, and also in the Asian/World food section if the store has one. It's well worth checking the prices in each, because they're usually different (the Asian/World food section will often be at least a little cheaper, sometimes quite a lot). 

They are one of the most useful store cupboard ingredients for veggie cooking. Lots of main uses - chilli, burgers, dal, pate etc. But if you have any soups or stews etc. that need thickening, a handful or two of these chucked in will usually do the trick. They only need about 20 minutes cooking too with no soaking, so are super-quick compared to most other dried pulses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife received the Non-Dairy Evolution Cookbook as a present for Christmas. Apparently the recipes and easy to follow and quick to make and so far she's made mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta.. I've even managed to make my own soy milk.

I'd definitely recommend this to any other vegans or those with lactose intolerance.