rllmuk
Opinionated Ham Scarecrow

Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

There's an amazing recipe which is basically avocado, cocoa powder and honey that makes an insane vegan chocolate mousse. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Horribleman said:

There's an amazing recipe which is basically avocado, cocoa powder and honey that makes an insane vegan chocolate mousse. 

???

15 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Inspired to make similar  yesterday...

5EA324E3-87FC-48EA-9DAA-379EBC71BF7C.thumb.jpeg.728c8cead2c9c7bece3ddc81874a8bdc.jpeg

ED5B66F5-2AB4-4079-A441-5A1DE9221F56.thumb.jpeg.72347beed7f6e8c36b911e7019755c25.jpeg

I've had it loads now (made a massive batch) and it's delicious. 

I just improvised it from what I had. I already had the sauce made and frozen in batches, so I just added some chickpeas and tweaked with Garam Masala etc yesterday. No tomatoes in mine which is why it's less red,  although most of the other usual suspects were there from that recipe you posted.

I felt inspired by your pics of Chana Masala but didn't have any chickpeas so did pretty much the same recipe with cauliflower instead. Absolutely lovely

• Upvote 2

I spotted these Wicked pot snacks in my local Tesco yesterday, so bought a few. I've just tried the spicy coconut and rice noodles and thought it was great (after spotting the big lump of unmixed flavouring at the bottom of the pot - until then they were a little underwhelming). The price is wrong in the article - they're £1.50 (on offer at £1.20 right now). It's exactly the sort of product that's makes cutting out animal products that little bit easier for me - food for when you just can't be arsed cooking. 

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news/wicked-kitchen-expands-tesco-range-with-new-pot-noodle-style-ready-meal-pots/

Just to lower the tone a bit after all Davros's culinary adventures, are there any good vegan supermarket pizzas? I tried the Chicago Town BBQ jackfruit one tonight and the tomato/BBQ sauce was so sweet it was like eating a pudding. But with onions on.

Everything BBQ jackfruit I've had has tasted like jam - far too sweet for my taste.

The Goodfellas frozen pizzas aren't too bad. The falafel one doesn't even pretend to be a real pizza in anything other than it's some stuff on bread, but it's actually very tasty (probably because it's got vast amounts of salt in it). I'd happily scoff it again though if I wanted a quick solution for dinner. The salsa one has fake cheese on it - a bit of an odd texture, but it wasn't that bad despite also having sweetcorn on it (which is almost a crime in my book). The only other one I've tried is one of the White Rabbit ones, and even getting it at half price I thought it wasn't worth the money. There wasn't enough fake cheese for it to even begin to feel like a regular pizza, and the rest of the toppings were nothing special.  (That was a while ago though - maybe they've improved since...)

I've tended to just make my own. I use Clay Oven Bakery plain naan breads from Morrison's as a base (they used to sell pizza bases too - but they were essentially the same product). Then I've usually got a bowl of homemade tomato sauce in the fridge (failing that a smear of tomato puree will do in a pinch). Then I just use jars of veg antipasti or fresh veg and lots of olives to top it off. I have tried a few fake cheeses and they're not that terrible, but as I've mentioned before I tend to prefer making a pot of garlic or smoked paprika flavoured mayo to use as a dip - it gets you the oiliness you want from a pizza.

11 hours ago, Exidor said:

Just to lower the tone a bit after all Davros's culinary adventures, are there any good vegan supermarket pizzas? I tried the Chicago Town BBQ jackfruit one tonight and the tomato/BBQ sauce was so sweet it was like eating a pudding. But with onions on.

I like these ones from the chilled section in Tesco, they also have a Margherita version too.

Proper nice :)

Asda do a frozen one and a fresh one which are nice, but then I liked the Chicago Town one so maybe you don't want to listen to me!

Very basic, but I made a butternut squash and chickpea korma using shop bought paste. Simple addition of a sachet of creamed coconut and the texture with the veg was great. Didn't need any cream or cream substitutes. Really nice to have something as rich as a korma without being as heavy as a meat version. 

• Upvote 1

On 28/01/2020 at 21:54, Horribleman said:

Chana Masala. 

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200128204637227_COVER.thumb.jpg.e6c88f188604363bfbe60ab5c0558e62.jpg

Looks good - what recipe did you use? I had a really nice takeaway one the other night, so fancy trying to make one at home. I also had sag daal for the first time, and that was gorgeous.

Edit: just seen your other post with the recipe.

I've generally gone right off meat-based curries, although I'm still fond of a good chicken shashlik, particularly if it comes with well-roasted onions and peppers.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Chosty said:

Looks good - what recipe did you use? I had a really nice takeaway one the other night, so fancy trying to make one at home. I also had sag daal for the first time, and that was gorgeous.

Edit: just seen your other post with the recipe.

I've generally gone right off meat-based curries, although I'm still fond of a good chicken shashlik, particularly if it comes with well-roasted onions and peppers.

Latifs inspired on YouTube just put a recipe up. Might be worth checking that out too. They recommend chunky chaat masala which I've just bought. 

I made this yesterday and it was exceptional. One of the best things I've cooked in a long time, so tasty! I had it with vermicelli rice. I wouldn't skip the pomegranate molasses if you can help it.

• Upvote 4

Just got back from a few days in Spain. Thought I might struggle, but I ate extremely well. Hotel had a huge buffet at breakfast and dinner, and it had loads of vegan choices.

We also went to a place called Plant Shack in Altea where I had the first Tofu I could hand on heart describe as “delicious”:

E5881D0B-EC71-4307-89A0-50CE565010AA.thumb.jpeg.4ebcf0b0fbe40f0aac3ce302fcf6ad5e.jpeg

F9301553-D31B-447A-8701-7C88113F19D8.thumb.jpeg.e6d2363aa958114d6847467b0990df2c.jpeg

There was brown rice and veg underneath, which really came alive once we’d poured the satay sauce over it. The tofu was marinated in some sort of sticky ginger, soy, and sesame mix, but I don’t know how they achieved the texture, which was really nice - almost meat-like.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Just got back from a few days in Spain. Thought I might struggle, but I ate extremely well. Hotel had a huge buffet at breakfast and dinner, and it had loads of vegan choices.

We also went to a place called Plant Shack in Altea where I had the first Tofu I could hand on heart describe as “delicious”:

E5881D0B-EC71-4307-89A0-50CE565010AA.thumb.jpeg.4ebcf0b0fbe40f0aac3ce302fcf6ad5e.jpeg

F9301553-D31B-447A-8701-7C88113F19D8.thumb.jpeg.e6d2363aa958114d6847467b0990df2c.jpeg

There was brown rice and veg underneath, which really came alive once we’d poured the satay sauce over it. The tofu was marinated in some sort of sticky ginger, soy, and sesame mix, but I don’t know how they achieved the texture, which was really nice - almost meat-like.

Maybe they did the freeze/defrost/freeze/defrost thing.

https://www.vegancoach.com/freezing-tofu.html

• Upvote 1

Looking for comfort in food, with my usual staple of beef stew belonging in less enlightened times, I stumbled on this recipe:

https://www.budgetbytes.com/vegan-winter-lentil-stew/

It's super simple to do, and cheap as well. Following the recipe amounts, we got about 7 sizable bowls from it. And it tasted wonderful with some buttered bread! The only tricky thing to get was brown lentils - our local shops only seem to have green and red. Suspect it would work well with green, but I ordered a big bag of brown off Amazon and it come out great.

• Upvote 2