Jump to content
rllmuk
Gizamaluke

Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

Recommended Posts

Chilli wraps tonight. Used a Bol Chilli Non Carne as the starting point, adding kale and a lot more seasoning and spice (it’s quite bland straight out of the pot).
 

Reduced it until thick, then spread the chilli onto a warmed flatbread,  topping it with avocado, spring onions, vegan feta, and Oatly creme fraiche, plus more Sriracha of course.

 

B13ADB95-A2A0-4CE5-94A4-5B625EEF28E9.jpeg.b02678706951c8aaeedf0eba26edf669.jpeg

 

74BB1DD0-B7D6-44E6-BC04-0059ADF6EFA1.jpeg.17b4c45f58fffaa49a933fc5ac6b36e9.jpeg
 

2D6D1ED6-1AF6-40AF-86D3-63D7D75BBFCE.jpeg.a5c873fe159a56c517bdf44eb93229c9.jpeg

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had the meatless marinara at Subway and I'm really disappointed.

The meatballs themselves are bland soy protein, there's absolutely no excuse at all for them to be so lacking in flavour and cardboardy and the sauce is overly sweet.

I had heard good reviews so this was a real shame and a total waste of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soup tonight, made by blitzing onions, garlic and carrots, then simmering in stock with leftover Kale and Cavolo Nero stalks (waste not, want not), sprouts, and peas. Seasoned with Nooch, Greek Basil, and mint, and served topped with toasted Zaatar, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower seeds, vegan feta, and a drizzle of truffle oil because why the fuck not?

 

4921DBDC-A773-49BA-86E4-4AD7B85ACE9F.jpeg.90e6db2515380b9d895bf217ca217230.jpeg
 

11DBF612-9646-4F30-8D86-BE2746228369.jpeg.d78861b24eb35ed0b07d16d5bba2f335.jpeg

 

CF063026-F1F5-4973-9140-5C38EABCE373.jpeg.ff2830d27993195db21e9d0bbe4b0552.jpeg

 

CDFFC6EC-769C-41EA-B1A9-69274E7599E8.jpeg.ba04e23972bfc1ce642c82895b41c965.jpeg
 

And if you think I’m being too virtuous, I had a Vegan Almond Magnum afterwards :)

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm making chickwheat today. Bought some cool umami things yesterday (white miso, bouillon powder and miso paste) to try. 

 

If it goes well I'm thinking invent my own kfc burger. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if I posted about this at the time but I've made a banging "chicken" burger with tofu.

If you freeze/thaw the tofu a couple of times you get a more chicken like texture, then batter it and deep fry. Add some nutritional yeast and paprika to the batter, it tastes great. Then toss it in hot sauce / vegan butter mix.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I'm not sure if I posted about this at the time but I've made a banging "chicken" burger with tofu.

If you freeze/thaw the tofu a couple of times you get a more chicken like texture, then batter it and deep fry. Add some nutritional yeast and paprika to the batter, it tastes great. Then toss it in hot sauce / vegan butter mix.

 

Which tofu do you recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made Tofu Scramble at the weekend. It was really nice, but nothing like scrambled eggs really. However, I didn't have any Kala Namak:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kala_namak

 

"Kala namak is appreciated by some vegans in dishes that mimic the taste of eggs. It is used, for example, to season tofu or avocado to mimic an egg salad[citation needed] or deviled eggs"

 

https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-tofu-scramble/

 

I've got some on order, so I'll give it a go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kala namak (also known as black salt) is absolutely amazing. You can make a very nice fake scrambled egg using something like pasta and some kala namak. If anyone finds it in mainstream shops then let me know.

 

Also if anyone is in Bristol and wants to experience vegan fast food heaven then head to Falafel King it Cotham and get a the vegan schawarma laffa (or dharzi). I miss it so much.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Which tofu do you recommend?

 

I really like the Tofoo brand that is available in supermarkets. It's nice and firm and you don't have to worry about pressing it or anything. Tofu coated in cornflour and paprika and fried is absolutely banging.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Plums said:

Kala namak (also known as black salt) is absolutely amazing. You can make a very nice fake scrambled egg using something like pasta and some kala namak. If anyone finds it in mainstream shops then let me know.

 

Also if anyone is in Bristol and wants to experience vegan fast food heaven then head to Falafel King it Cotham and get a the vegan schawarma laffa (or dharzi). I miss it so much.


Natco Black Salt (Kala Namak) 300g https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QKJLMNZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_p1IiEb5372W2Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just use the Cauldren Tofu, but the one from Holland & Barrett is fine too. The key is the freezing and thawing which gives a nicer texture.

 

Tofoo smoked is really tasty, but it's more expensive for a smaller amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of quite unhealthy meals at the weekend, but so nice. 

 

Korean Fried "Chicken" Bao Buns made with the Plant Pioneers Southern Fried Bites:

 

2073495439_nugs2.thumb.jpg.d6dd26b38de262fb28bc8cf036828c2d.jpg

 

686206558_bao2.thumb.jpg.7406c699822635b081ce8e96d44cb1da.jpg

 

And Satay Soba noodles with spiralized courgette and carrot:

 

noodles.thumb.jpg.86cacf1d11fad16a4aa1ceccd5dee694.jpg

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2020 at 12:03, Davros sock drawer said:

A couple of quite unhealthy meals at the weekend, but so nice. 

 

Korean Fried "Chicken" Bao Buns made with the Plant Pioneers Southern Fried Bites:

 

2073495439_nugs2.thumb.jpg.d6dd26b38de262fb28bc8cf036828c2d.jpg

 

686206558_bao2.thumb.jpg.7406c699822635b081ce8e96d44cb1da.jpg

 

And Satay Soba noodles with spiralized courgette and carrot:

 

noodles.thumb.jpg.86cacf1d11fad16a4aa1ceccd5dee694.jpg

What are those Southern fried bites like and where did you find them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2020 at 22:46, Davros sock drawer said:

Chilli wraps tonight. Used a Bol Chilli Non Carne as the starting point, adding kale and a lot more seasoning and spice (it’s quite bland straight out of the pot).
 

Reduced it until thick, then spread the chilli onto a warmed flatbread,  topping it with avocado, spring onions, vegan feta, and Oatly creme fraiche, plus more Sriracha of course.

 

 

 

74BB1DD0-B7D6-44E6-BC04-0059ADF6EFA1.jpeg.17b4c45f58fffaa49a933fc5ac6b36e9.jpeg
 

 

 

Which vegan feta is that? I'm munching my way through a block of Violife Greek Style at the moment, and it's definitely one of the better cheese subs I've tried, but it doesn't look anywhere near as crumbly as that (unless perhaps you've grated it). I perhaps wouldn't have tried it without you recommending the stuff though, so cheers for that. I tried it on a vegetable pizza last night (sprinkled with a bit of nooch too) and thought it worked really well - enjoyed it more than the Sheeze fake mozzarella I tried earlier in the month.

 

I am a huge pizza fan, so that's kind of what I'm working towards - getting good vegan alternatives to the real thing. I think that feta one was perhaps the best yet. Another good approach I've found is to forget about the cheese altogether, and make a flavoured mayonnaise (garlic, smoked paprika etc) and use that as a dip when you serve it. You get a nice greasy creamy hit which for me at least goes a long way to make it seem more like a pizza than just some veg on some bread.

 

Loving all the pics by the way - some fantastic food being created here.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Which vegan feta is that? I'm munching my way through a block of Violife Greek Style at the moment, and it's definitely one of the better cheese subs I've tried, but it doesn't look anywhere near as crumbly as that (unless perhaps you've grated it). I perhaps wouldn't have tried it without you recommending the stuff though, so cheers for that. I tried it on a vegetable pizza last night (sprinkled with a bit of nooch too) and thought it worked really well - enjoyed it more than the Sheeze fake mozzarella I tried earlier in the month.

 

 

 

It's actually the Sainsbury's one! I have also tried the Violife feta, and I didn't like it as much. As you say, the Sainsbury's one crumbles better.

 

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-deliciously-freefrom-greek-style-dairy-free-cheese-200g?istCompanyId=1e096408-041f-4238-994e-a7cf46bf9413&istFeedId=689af7a8-5842-4d88-be59-1ee5688a81b5&istItemId=wxwqmptlq&istBid=t&PPC=*&gclid=CjwKCAiA35rxBRAWEiwADqB376XCZqjTlsTyiRDuHLNim8hCelVTGwzsaHzjJJZCYBGaNQqLrOAVCBoCdDkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

 

Glad you like the pics. I'm rediscovering my cooking Mojo as a result of doing Veganuary. I'm being much more creative with my meals.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made Pesto today. Those Bosh boys are over-complicating things. I just toasted some pine nuts then blitzed them with a large bunch of basil, half a clove of garlic, lemon juice, Nooch, salt, pepper, and lots of extra virgin olive oil.

 

Had it with Spaghetti boiled with Cavolo Nero, and used some of the starchy cooking water from that to rinse out the rest of the pesto from the blender and help emulsify the sauce.

 

B5DEE2AE-58C5-48FD-AC4E-E6C0A6F39737.jpeg.9391bda303c0a11636e6a1295d7ff0bf.jpeg
 

1DE39FEC-BE47-4D88-9D49-3E28FAB41A67.jpeg.e9263e703a20eabe628e8f7813dbdacb.jpeg

 

9BE75C8F-75EF-48DE-A4DA-DEA9DA5F35D2.jpeg.bbe708fe1aac357445ff29f38c5b1896.jpeg

 

0229F03A-612B-477B-9EE6-8C823AE5BD45.jpeg.557da17ec48c022f2464d7ac7c29585c.jpeg

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

A cheap tofu press is worth picking up if you haven’t got one already.


This sort of thing?

 

Tofu Press - Strong, Sturdy High Quality Design that Removes Water in 15 Minutes for Firmer and More Flavour Absorbing Tofu, By Tofood- Vegan UK Seller https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GSHFXL7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KxPkEbMYAWTBM

 

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Tofu curry tonight

 

F15C7B85-1EB9-4C87-BD83-235B767D7705.thumb.jpeg.08b3c190617cc050cd2317f1086bfb03.jpeg

 

I think I could make it nicer if I can be bothered to press/strain the tofu more
 

That looks lovely. 

 

I'm not vegan so I'd have paneer :) although I might start trying to sub it as I reckon I could easily go vegan. 

 

Got a call from my dad yesterday. He'd been telling people about the wellington I made and my uncle wanted the recipe :D. Turns out my uncle had seen something about the way the pigs and sheep are treated by the meat industry on the way to slaughter and had just done a fuck it and gone vegan! He's in his mid 60s! Pretty cool I think. 

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone recommend me a brand of soya mince/mince substitute? Preferably vegan, but will go for vegetarian if there aren't decent vegan ones. Its not an ingredient I'd use often but it's handy for comfort food spag bol on a week night. Alas I used a Tesco own brand last night and it was awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a chilli with minced mushrooms, and it was delicious. Made a lot and used it the next night for a lasagna. Much nicer than any vegan mince alternatives I've tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.