rllmuk
Gizamaluke

Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

1 hour ago, RaoulSilva said:

Morrisons bakery also does a vegan pasty which is nice. 

I've not seen them - will have a shufty next time I'm there.

I've not had one in a while, but the veggie cheese and onion pasties from the Morrison's bakery were the absolute business last time I had one. Head and shoulders above anything else you could get outside a good deli, IMO. Proper nom.

On 06/02/2019 at 21:46, MemoryLeak said:

Important announcement: proceed immediately to anywhere that sells Vivera Veggie Shawarma Kebab and buy all of it. Shallow fry at a good heat in plenty of oil. It’s fucking delicious.

Bought some for my daughter and was genuinely disappointed with the real actual chicken I was serving for the meat eaters.

I bought a pack of this from Sainsbury's yesterday and just had some for lunch, fried and added to a wrap with finely sliced red cabbage, tomatoes, spring onions, mayo and sriracha chilli sauce. It was staggeringly good, and really hit that doner kebab spot (not that I've had one for years) without any of the guilt.

Will definitely get it again.

It says rehydrated soya.

Getting a decent Lebanese-style flatbread seems impossible in standard supermarkets (the closest I've found are those pre-folded oval ones, but they're a far cry from the real thing).

Best bet is likely to be some Middle East deli of some kind, if you have one nearby. 

38 minutes ago, Chosty said:

It says rehydrated soya.

Getting a decent Lebanese-style flatbread seems impossible in standard supermarkets (the closest I've found are those pre-folded oval ones, but they're a far cry from the real thing).

Best bet is likely to be some Middle East deli of some kind, if you have one nearby. 

Yeah that's what I thought. Ah well. There's a turkish food shop in Croydon which is not tooooo far away.

these are the closest I've found but they still aren't quite the same as the proper ones you see at a nice kebab/falafel place.

these are a little thicker than most shop flatbreads so have a little bit of bread in the pocket itself, they're lovely and soft and pliable too, even before heating.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/deli-kitchen-greek-style-flatbread-x4-320g

• Upvote 1

Had some Upton's Bacon Seitan, which is now available in our Sainburys, and I have to say I'm very impressed. Fried it up in a little olive oil for a couple of minutes a side and it came up wonderfully crispy. In a sandwich, it perfectly reminded me of a crispy bacon sandwich, in taste as well as texture. After lots of disappointment with veggie "bacons", I'd just about given up hope. But this a great alternative.

• Upvote 1

I currently eat meat, but want to eat less of it. I was vegetarian for eighteen years (started eating meat seven years ago) and was vegan for a year or two within that.  There's so many meat substitutes out there, but can anyone in here tell me if they're worth bothering with, to save me some expensive trial and error? 

I'm not bothered about burgers or sausages, just extra protein/texture for curries and stir frys which are my staple mid week food. When I was vegan I was at uni had loads of time and would buy tofu and press it at home but I don't think that's realistic for me these days. 

NB im well aware veggie curries are lovely without subs - just that I have a small appetite and I do a lot of exercise, one of the reasons I went back to eating meat was its quicker and easier to get the calories. 

I don't buy it often but Naturli mince is pretty good. Definitely tastes meaty to me (just not sure what meat exactly). It's fairly wet so can be treated like real mince, and squeezed into other shapes if you so wish. Worked well in black bean sauce and a veggie shepherd's pie. It may well still be exclusive to Sainsbury's and it's found in green packaging alongside the real mince in the meat aisle. They also do a chicken substitute, but I'm not a fan of that after a couple of tries - didn't taste of chicken, just tasted odd. There's another one that's similar by the Meatless Farm Co which is stocked in Morrison's as well as Sainsbury's (this one is kept in the same place as the other chilled veggie foods). I've only had it once, and thought it was also pretty good, but not as tasty as the Naturli one. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, velma said:

I currently eat meat, but want to eat less of it. I was vegetarian for eighteen years (started eating meat seven years ago) and was vegan for a year or two within that.  There's so many meat substitutes out there, but can anyone in here tell me if they're worth bothering with, to save me some expensive trial and error? 

I'm not bothered about burgers or sausages, just extra protein/texture for curries and stir frys which are my staple mid week food. When I was vegan I was at uni had loads of time and would buy tofu and press it at home but I don't think that's realistic for me these days. 

NB im well aware veggie curries are lovely without subs - just that I have a small appetite and I do a lot of exercise, one of the reasons I went back to eating meat was its quicker and easier to get the calories. 

For Calories I add coconut milk. Obviously chickpeas are full of protein and work really well in most curries. But I also make seitan chunks for a vegan butter chicken which works really well:

Try this - it's amazing https://www.veganbell.com/vegan-butter-chicken/

Thanks all, il have a look and see what's available local to me. I do make a good spinach and chickpea curry already, but will look for some of the subs for things like Thai curries and stir frys. 

For mince, I find either Asda or Sainsbury meat free (soy based) mince to be better than Quorn mince for chilis and bolognese. Just need to put it in 15-20 minutes before the end of cooking to keep the texture nice and firm. I always found Quorn mince too soggy.