Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

1 hour ago, RaoulSilva said:

Morrisons bakery also does a vegan pasty which is nice. 

I've not seen them - will have a shufty next time I'm there.

I've not had one in a while, but the veggie cheese and onion pasties from the Morrison's bakery were the absolute business last time I had one. Head and shoulders above anything else you could get outside a good deli, IMO. Proper nom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2019 at 21:46, MemoryLeak said:

Important announcement: proceed immediately to anywhere that sells Vivera Veggie Shawarma Kebab and buy all of it. Shallow fry at a good heat in plenty of oil. It’s fucking delicious.

Bought some for my daughter and was genuinely disappointed with the real actual chicken I was serving for the meat eaters.

I bought a pack of this from Sainsbury's yesterday and just had some for lunch, fried and added to a wrap with finely sliced red cabbage, tomatoes, spring onions, mayo and sriracha chilli sauce. It was staggeringly good, and really hit that doner kebab spot (not that I've had one for years) without any of the guilt.

Will definitely get it again.

38 minutes ago, Chosty said:

It says rehydrated soya.

Getting a decent Lebanese-style flatbread seems impossible in standard supermarkets (the closest I've found are those pre-folded oval ones, but they're a far cry from the real thing).

Best bet is likely to be some Middle East deli of some kind, if you have one nearby. 

Yeah that's what I thought. Ah well. There's a turkish food shop in Croydon which is not tooooo far away.

these are the closest I've found but they still aren't quite the same as the proper ones you see at a nice kebab/falafel place.

these are a little thicker than most shop flatbreads so have a little bit of bread in the pocket itself, they're lovely and soft and pliable too, even before heating.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/deli-kitchen-greek-style-flatbread-x4-320g

• 5 weeks later...

Had some Upton's Bacon Seitan, which is now available in our Sainburys, and I have to say I'm very impressed. Fried it up in a little olive oil for a couple of minutes a side and it came up wonderfully crispy. In a sandwich, it perfectly reminded me of a crispy bacon sandwich, in taste as well as texture. After lots of disappointment with veggie "bacons", I'd just about given up hope. But this a great alternative.

I currently eat meat, but want to eat less of it. I was vegetarian for eighteen years (started eating meat seven years ago) and was vegan for a year or two within that.  There's so many meat substitutes out there, but can anyone in here tell me if they're worth bothering with, to save me some expensive trial and error? 

I'm not bothered about burgers or sausages, just extra protein/texture for curries and stir frys which are my staple mid week food. When I was vegan I was at uni had loads of time and would buy tofu and press it at home but I don't think that's realistic for me these days. 

NB im well aware veggie curries are lovely without subs - just that I have a small appetite and I do a lot of exercise, one of the reasons I went back to eating meat was its quicker and easier to get the calories. 

I don't buy it often but Naturli mince is pretty good. Definitely tastes meaty to me (just not sure what meat exactly). It's fairly wet so can be treated like real mince, and squeezed into other shapes if you so wish. Worked well in black bean sauce and a veggie shepherd's pie. It may well still be exclusive to Sainsbury's and it's found in green packaging alongside the real mince in the meat aisle. They also do a chicken substitute, but I'm not a fan of that after a couple of tries - didn't taste of chicken, just tasted odd. There's another one that's similar by the Meatless Farm Co which is stocked in Morrison's as well as Sainsbury's (this one is kept in the same place as the other chilled veggie foods). I've only had it once, and thought it was also pretty good, but not as tasty as the Naturli one. 

17 hours ago, velma said:

I currently eat meat, but want to eat less of it. I was vegetarian for eighteen years (started eating meat seven years ago) and was vegan for a year or two within that.  There's so many meat substitutes out there, but can anyone in here tell me if they're worth bothering with, to save me some expensive trial and error? 

I'm not bothered about burgers or sausages, just extra protein/texture for curries and stir frys which are my staple mid week food. When I was vegan I was at uni had loads of time and would buy tofu and press it at home but I don't think that's realistic for me these days. 

NB im well aware veggie curries are lovely without subs - just that I have a small appetite and I do a lot of exercise, one of the reasons I went back to eating meat was its quicker and easier to get the calories. 

For Calories I add coconut milk. Obviously chickpeas are full of protein and work really well in most curries. But I also make seitan chunks for a vegan butter chicken which works really well:

Try this - it's amazing https://www.veganbell.com/vegan-butter-chicken/

For mince, I find either Asda or Sainsbury meat free (soy based) mince to be better than Quorn mince for chilis and bolognese. Just need to put it in 15-20 minutes before the end of cooking to keep the texture nice and firm. I always found Quorn mince too soggy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For Christmas dinner this year, we got hold of an M&S Plant Kitchen festive roast, and it was bloody amazing. A proper savory taste with an amazing vegan gravy. Tasted kind of like a meat stuffing, shot through with cranberry sauce. Very rich, perfect texture. We also did the Quorn roast as a second "meat" and the pair went together really well.

Also - the Plant Kitchen aisle in our M&S was rammed with confused looking older people looking for acceptable foods for visiting veggie relatives. Great!

I went to parents in laws and found that, along with the usual Mexican food (MIL is from central America, so chorizo features heavily), they had a 'vegan wreath', vegan sausages and vegan canapés. 

This is nothing to do with my interest in veganism/vegetarianism, and purely to do with 'what looked interesting in waitrose' 

OK, just bought my last regular pizza before going for Veganuary again. Got a little bit of cheese to get through too, but nothing too major. Looking forward to it. I plan on doing a fair bit of cooking from scratch still, but there are so many new vegan products around I'll definitely be giving a fair few a try too. I'm definitely thinking of doing it a bit more often in future too. Maybe every other month, or maybe one in three - shall see how it goes.

Anyone else giving it a go?

My girlfriend is giving it a go and since I do the majority of the cooking in the house it looks like I'll be switching to a mostly vegan diet for January. I've done a trial run of a simple butter chicken recipe subbing out all of the delicious ghee and cream for coconut oil and coconut milk respectively and the chicken for a load of roasted cauliflower, mushroom, and potato and it was great.

I recently bought Indiah-ish and have loved some of the recipes in that book so knowing that coconut oil works as a vegan substitute for ghee means if all else fails I've got a few trusted recipes to fall back on including the very easy and delicious dal.

I've also bought myself the Bosh! Vegan cookbook and a few of the recipes look interesting to say the least. Originally when she said she was doing Veganuary I was dreading it but now I'm quietly excited to try some new recipes out.

Greggs steak bake is out today as selected stores:

Found some more details about the stores:

'Costing from £1.55, it will go on sale in 1,300 shops from Thursday before being rolled out to the remaining 700 outlets on 16 January.'

The regular Quorn Steak slice thing is one of the few Quorn products I really like - it's proper nom. Will definitely give the Gregg's one a pop. Might grab the sausage roll at the same time - I've still not tried that.

I spotted yesterday that Morrison's have a vegan pork pie in their bakery. I'm intrigued, but suspect it's not going to be that close. For starters it didn't have the proper pastry, but even then - I cannot imagine what you could use to get pork pie filling texture (I'm guessing they don't even try). May well give it a go out of curiosity at some point though...

I've just invented an INCREDIBLE vegetarian lasagne. Like, I think it's going to better than a meat one, going by the taste of the ragu.

So, here's the ingredients and method:

To roast in oven:

1/3 of a celeriac, chopped into .5cm ish cubes

3 peppers (I used two red, one yellow sliced

1 sweet onion, sliced

two large cloves of garlic, chopped up

Salt and oil

Put the celariac, with salt and oil into one oven dish, and the other veg with some salt and oil into another. Cook on 180-200 until the celeriac is browning and the other veg is sweet. 

If the pepper mix leaks a load of water into the roasting tray, keep this to stir into the ragu.

Once they are done, you can take them out and they will be added to the ragu later.

To make the ragu:

Two medium onions, finely chopped.

Six large cloves of garlic, finely chopped.

Tube of tomato puree.

Two tablespoons of dried oregano

One packet of fresh sage

Large bag of kale

Four tins of decent chopped tomatoes

Olive oil

Cook the onions in a few tablespoons of oil until they are translucent. Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes. Then add the tube of tomato puree and continue to fry - caramelising the tomato/onion/garlic mix lightly a couple of times.

Then turn down the heat and add a good couple of tablespoons of dried oregano and cook until fragrant. Add the chopped sage and cook off for a little bit.

Pour in the tomatoes and add half a can of water with the swishing of the remaining tomato juice in the tins. Let this reduce a bit, until it starts to get the consistency of a decent ragu. Add some salt and pepper to taste.

Add the Kale a few handfuls at a time and let it wilt before adding more.

To make the other flavourings:

One large punnet (250g ish) of chestnut mushrooms

Two cloves of garlic

Two teaspoons of Maggi Liquid Seasoning

One tablespoon of fennel seeds.

Chop the mushrooms and fry in oil with the garlic until all the water is gone and the mushrooms are starting to caramelise nicely. Add the Maggi and the fennel seeds and turn down the heat. Cook off for a few minutes more.

Once everything is done, combine together and cook lightly as a ragu.

In the meantime make a load of bechamel sauce:

120g plain flour

120g butter

1200ml whole milk

couple of cloves

couple of black peppercorns

couple of bayleaves

One teaspoon of salt

Follow the instructions here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/consent/?dest=/recipe/26330/bechamel-white-sauce.aspx

Then make up the lasagne. I added a little grated low moisture mozzarella into the bechamel layers, and on top sprinkled mozzarella and some grated italian hard cheese (make sure it's vegetarian).

I will post pictures once it's cooked, and I have enough ragu left to make a mini lasagne.

On 02/01/2020 at 06:59, grounded_dreams said:

Greggs steak bake is out today as selected stores:

Found some more details about the stores:

'Costing from £1.55, it will go on sale in 1,300 shops from Thursday before being rolled out to the remaining 700 outlets on 16 January.'

I had one on Friday, it’s...good, not amazing but good. I mean it’s a steak bake substitute, which it does fine but I thought it would have worked a bit better with a little spice or ‘something’ in there. Still partnered with the vegan sausage roll it did the job.