rllmuk
Gizamaluke

Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

I made this stir fry sauce last night and it's the best home-made sauce I've ever had:

https://www.tasteslovely.com/best-stir-fry-sauce/

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce (or Tamari if gluten free)

1/2 cup vegetable stock

1 tablespoon corn starch (or arrow root)

1 tablespoon agave nectar (or maple syrup)

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon rice vinegar

2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated (or 1 tablespoon ground powdered ginger)

2 garlic cloves, minced

Just mix/whisk it all in a bowl and add to the wok.

Had it with some coated tofu (corn starch and five spice), mixture of veggies and straight-to-wok noodles. Topped with sesame seeds and a little bit of pickled ginger.

Bloody lush! :D

• Upvote 4

Sorry, can't help - I haven't tried any meatball alternatives. I'd probably buy some fake mince and make them myself personally.

But, who knew vegan jerky was a thing? I certainly didn't until this rocked up in my Sainsbury's:

kingsVJ.thumb.jpg.d4b48d554dff38b9fe8ed5aa5d7f7850.jpg

I've never eaten the real thing so no comparison available. This is tough and chewy and fibrous - a really great texture. The black bean flavouring is pretty good - there's a little heat coming through at the end which is nice, but there's a sweetness there that's borderline annoying to me (I haven't got a sweet tooth at all). It's not though - it just stays onside sweetness-wise - and so I ploughed through a whole pack and wanted more. A quick google shows it can be got much cheaper elsewhere. I'll be buying lots of this when I find out where best to get it from. It's proper nom. :D

• Upvote 1

On 03/07/2019 at 16:46, Sprite Machine said:

I made this stir fry sauce last night and it's the best home-made sauce I've ever had:

1/2 cup vegetable stock

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon rice vinegar

2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated (or 1 tablespoon ground powdered ginger)

2 garlic cloves, minced

Had it with some coated tofu (corn starch and five spice), mixture of veggies and straight-to-wok noodles. Topped with sesame seeds and a little bit of pickled ginger.

I've got a stash of maple syrup, will give this a go tonight

On 22/07/2019 at 13:54, Horribleman said:

What are the best veggie meatballs?

Sainsbury's home brand vegan meatballs are great.

Sounds weird but I bake them in a tray part filled with thick Bisto gravy, red wine and a little sage or thyme. Roll them around now and then and they come out amazing.

• Upvote 3

I've got no recipes, but it's something I've looked into and the first tip is always to use dried chickpeas and do it the long way. I've always shied away from it because I've got no patience (and I've had bad results with resurrecting dried beans in the past), but that would be how I'd start out). Christ, I love cheap shop bought falafel so if it gets much better than that I'd be delighted. Have fun. :)

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I've got no recipes, but it's something I've looked into and the first tip is always to use dried chickpeas and do it the long way. I've always shied away from it because I've got no patience (and I've had bad results with resurrecting dried beans in the past), but that would be how I'd start out). Christ, I love cheap shop bought falafel so if it gets much better than that I'd be delighted. Have fun. :)

Oh for sure. I made some today with soaked dried chickpeas but making them in the oven isn't great!

:)

I hadn't stepped foot in a Greggs for years until they started doing the Vegan Sausage Roll - I go in all the time now.

Vegan Dougnuts as well would be brilliant.

On 03/07/2019 at 16:46, Sprite Machine said:

1/2 cup vegetable stock

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon rice vinegar

2 garlic cloves, minced

There's a lot of sugar in that, no wonder!

That's a curse of a lot of restaurant/pre produced Vegan food in my experience so far - it has so much sugar in it to make up for the lack of fat, I find it off putting as I am not a massive fan of sweet things.

On 27/08/2019 at 19:05, Oracle said:

It's a pretty tasty sausage roll, there's a slightly odd aftertaste though.

Pretty much the case for all veggie fake meat I’ve found, maybe beyond burger is the best for this - I assume if you had them all the time you would get used to it like the freaks who say Diet Coke tastes fine :blink:

In our burger quest... strike off the No Bulk burger, not good! I’m hearing good things about Morrison’s Miami burger tho...

I've had Miami Burger - they had a restaurant in Reading.

The normal burger patty is like a dry mcdonalds patty and I didn't really like it much. The Chicken Patty is really tasty though and has a fantastic texture.

Teta Huda's mussaka'a from Palestine on a plate is delicious

Basically confit aubergine in a spicy, garlicky tomato sauce. Served cold with Pita.

• Upvote 1

On 28/08/2019 at 13:24, Oracle said:

That's a curse of a lot of restaurant/pre produced Vegan food in my experience so far - it has so much sugar in it to make up for the lack of fat, I find it off putting as I am not a massive fan of sweet things.

There is that - a lot of sugar, and also a lot of salt. Admittedly it's often aping things like bacon which are full of salt (I think one of the reasons veggie bacon isn't that great is that they can't replicate the salt levels without taking the traffic light symbols on the packaging through the roof. Bacon is made of pig first and salt second - it's really bad on the salt front.)

I think part of the problem is that veggie/vegan food has to appeal to the largest section of the potential customers because it's a niche market, and generally people's palette's have adapted to sweeter tastes. As someone who doesn't have a sweet tooth, this rules me out of lots of things. I've tried so many things that are just far too sweet - wraps that would have been nice if they weren't smothered in mango chutney or sickly BBQ sauce for example.

I still find Tesco's Wicked kitchen stuff is perhaps the best. When their things have been sweeter than I've liked they've usually been balanced with spice, so I've kinda enjoyed them regardless. 

8 hours ago, Gaz said:

I've had Miami Burger - they had a restaurant in Reading.

The Chicken Patty is really tasty though and has a fantastic texture.

This sounds a lot like a place at Glastonbury called Vegan Vice. Coincidence?

I'm not too worried about salt. I don't have any blood pressure issues. 

I try and avoid sugar when cooking at home. 

I don't mind a teaspoon but after that then I wonder what it's making up for. 

My deep fryer should arrive today. Asked the falafel guys that I go to at lunchtime about their recipe and I need a good fluffy soft flatbread recipe and we're golden. 

• Upvote 1

On 30/08/2019 at 08:45, Horribleman said:

I'm not too worried about salt. I don't have any blood pressure issues. 

I try and avoid sugar when cooking at home. 

I don't mind a teaspoon but after that then I wonder what it's making up for. 

My deep fryer should arrive today. Asked the falafel guys that I go to at lunchtime about their recipe and I need a good fluffy soft flatbread recipe and we're golden. 

Its making up for a lack of fats, food, if it originally featured fats, tase worse for the lack of it. The common solution is to add sugar to replace it, see low fat yogurts etc. 

Richmond have started doing a meat free sausage, I had some today and thought they were nice and pretty close to a meat sausage. 

Found in the supermarket fridge next to the meat ones. 

4 hours ago, RaoulSilva said:

Richmond have started doing a meat free sausage, I had some today and thought they were nice and pretty close to a meat sausage. 

Found in the supermarket fridge next to the meat ones. 

Definitely a good thing this, I think. When you have the meat industry making meat-free products then you can tell things are changing. And people tend to like brands, so this might ease people into giving it a go. (On a similar note, I see Birds Eye have been pushing their meat-free burgers quite heavily recently.)

Also, I have tried Richmond's sausages, and I would be very surprised if the meatless ones weren't nicer. Good veggie sausages are much better than Richmond's regular ones.

Saw Ginster's new Vegan Cornish Pasty in Morrison's today, so grabbed one and had it for lunch. It's something that I've been surprised they haven't done before, tbh. It's pretty good. I'll certainly be scoffing these from time-to-time when I want a quick and easy lunch. If anything I'd like a bit more veg and less quorn - I think a good Cornish pasty needs veg for both flavour and texture, and this didn't quite have enough for my liking (the meaty one is very veg heavy IIRC - this seems to be over-compensating for having fake meat).

However, along with Quorn's own offering this is the second pasty that absolutely should have been called a Quornish pasty, and isn't, and that's a fucking travesty.

ginsters-quorn-vegan.thumb.jpg.4197c59459c9fb0ff5d972acbdc06f11.jpg

• Upvote 5