rllmuk
Gizamaluke

Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

I made this stir fry sauce last night and it's the best home-made sauce I've ever had:

https://www.tasteslovely.com/best-stir-fry-sauce/

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce (or Tamari if gluten free)

1/2 cup vegetable stock

1 tablespoon corn starch (or arrow root)

1 tablespoon agave nectar (or maple syrup)

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon rice vinegar

2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated (or 1 tablespoon ground powdered ginger)

2 garlic cloves, minced

Just mix/whisk it all in a bowl and add to the wok.

Had it with some coated tofu (corn starch and five spice), mixture of veggies and straight-to-wok noodles. Topped with sesame seeds and a little bit of pickled ginger.

Bloody lush! :D

• Upvote 4

Sorry, can't help - I haven't tried any meatball alternatives. I'd probably buy some fake mince and make them myself personally.

But, who knew vegan jerky was a thing? I certainly didn't until this rocked up in my Sainsbury's:

kingsVJ.thumb.jpg.d4b48d554dff38b9fe8ed5aa5d7f7850.jpg

I've never eaten the real thing so no comparison available. This is tough and chewy and fibrous - a really great texture. The black bean flavouring is pretty good - there's a little heat coming through at the end which is nice, but there's a sweetness there that's borderline annoying to me (I haven't got a sweet tooth at all). It's not though - it just stays onside sweetness-wise - and so I ploughed through a whole pack and wanted more. A quick google shows it can be got much cheaper elsewhere. I'll be buying lots of this when I find out where best to get it from. It's proper nom. :D

On 03/07/2019 at 16:46, Sprite Machine said:

I made this stir fry sauce last night and it's the best home-made sauce I've ever had:

https://www.tasteslovely.com/best-stir-fry-sauce/

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce (or Tamari if gluten free)

1/2 cup vegetable stock

1 tablespoon corn starch (or arrow root)

1 tablespoon agave nectar (or maple syrup)

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon rice vinegar

2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated (or 1 tablespoon ground powdered ginger)

2 garlic cloves, minced

Just mix/whisk it all in a bowl and add to the wok.

Had it with some coated tofu (corn starch and five spice), mixture of veggies and straight-to-wok noodles. Topped with sesame seeds and a little bit of pickled ginger.

Bloody lush! :D

I've got a stash of maple syrup, will give this a go tonight

On 22/07/2019 at 13:54, Horribleman said:

What are the best veggie meatballs?

Sainsbury's home brand vegan meatballs are great.

Sounds weird but I bake them in a tray part filled with thick Bisto gravy, red wine and a little sage or thyme. Roll them around now and then and they come out amazing.

• Upvote 3

I've got no recipes, but it's something I've looked into and the first tip is always to use dried chickpeas and do it the long way. I've always shied away from it because I've got no patience (and I've had bad results with resurrecting dried beans in the past), but that would be how I'd start out). Christ, I love cheap shop bought falafel so if it gets much better than that I'd be delighted. Have fun. :)

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I've got no recipes, but it's something I've looked into and the first tip is always to use dried chickpeas and do it the long way. I've always shied away from it because I've got no patience (and I've had bad results with resurrecting dried beans in the past), but that would be how I'd start out). Christ, I love cheap shop bought falafel so if it gets much better than that I'd be delighted. Have fun. :)

Oh for sure. I made some today with soaked dried chickpeas but making them in the oven isn't great!

:)

I hadn't stepped foot in a Greggs for years until they started doing the Vegan Sausage Roll - I go in all the time now.

Vegan Dougnuts as well would be brilliant.