Gizamaluke

Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

For how many people? We did a roast celeriac for the two of us a couple of years ago and it was both easy and tasty. A large one would serve four with accompaniments. It's in season, too!

You can get a nutloaf from various places, they are normally pretty nice.  Although either sainsbury or tesco made one last xmas with a sauce and it was disgusting.  You can get a packet one in health food shops where you just add water to it, that one is nice.

It would just be for me and my wife, though I’m happy with leftovers if it reheats well. I’m not sure if celeriac is available here, but I’ll check. How does roasting whole cauliflower work, what sort of spicing do you add?

Found this chickpea meatloaf which looks pretty good. 

• Upvote 2

After trying the Naturli vegan mince on the last page I got hold of some of their Vegan spread as a potential butter replacement (I'm looking at reducing my dairy where it can be done easily - I've swapped to oat milk, and I've stopped buying eggs, so butter was the next step). I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. It's not quite as good as the real thing taste-wise, but it's close enough to make it a no-brainer of a swap for me. The great thing is it's got no palm oil in it either, so it ticks the major boxes.

naturliSpread01.jpg.42f67deccc30f8df82846b96e2121346.jpg

The texture of it is interesting. It comes out of the fridge looking solid, it scrapes out of the tub like cold butter, and yet it spreads quite easily on soft bread. Its melt point seems to be just above fridge temperature, so by the time you've got it from tub to bread a little friction tips it over the edge. I hadn't spotted that the pack says to keep it below 8 degrees C, so when I defrosted my fridge a couple of days ago it split into oil and solids (I stirred it back together and it set perfectly again afterwards). Again this is exclusive to Sainsbury's in the UK at the moment, and it's kept in amongst the regular spreads, rather than in the free-from section.

Awesome, I'll keep my eye open for this. I noticed that Sainsbury's seem to have made the majority of their new veggie sausage/burger range vegan. They've overtaken Tesco as the best vegan supermarket I think.

On 30/09/2018 at 08:41, Plums said:

Awesome, I'll keep my eye open for this. I noticed that Sainsbury's seem to have made the majority of their new veggie sausage/burger range vegan. They've overtaken Tesco as the best vegan supermarket I think.

We've recently discovered Cauldron Lincolnshire sausages from Sainsbury's. They're bloody lovely! 

Other things we've tried:

No Bull burgers from Iceland. Really nice flavour, a little squishy texture. Overall, makes a great BBQ burger. Our local vegan cafe has started offering these as a main.

Vivera Vegan stea from Tescos. Was really looking forward to this, but ended up quite disappointed. The flavour is quite bland and the texture is weird.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'd really expect Cauldron and Quorn to get their skates on and start making all of their stuff vegan. The number of vegans is exploding and I can't help think they are going to lose out to the supermarket own-brands who seem to be more responsive.

What I really want to see in supermarkets is Frys stuff. The best mince and pies!

On 30/09/2018 at 08:41, Plums said:

After saying this I've just tried the thai curry from Tesco's Wicked Kitchen range (all vegan I believe) and it was bloody good. I wouldn't usually be recommending ready meals but I've been relying on them a bit due to working late.

18 hours ago, Plums said:

Yeah I'd really expect Cauldron and Quorn to get their skates on and start making all of their stuff vegan. The number of vegans is exploding and I can't help think they are going to lose out to the supermarket own-brands who seem to be more responsive.

What I really want to see in supermarkets is Frys stuff. The best mince and pies!

fyi 'Fry's coming to Sainsbury's'

• Upvote 1

Yeah - the Wicked range is all Vegan. I've tried some of them, and have been largely impressed (like you I don't often eat prepared food). The sweet potato pakora wrap from the lunch range is one of the nicest things I've ever bought from a supermarket. I was still making appreciative nom noises about half an hour after I'd finished it.

And Wiseguy has just beaten me to it - I spotted today that the Sainsbury's where I work has several new things for the second time in about a month - including shelf space labelled with Fry's products (no actual products today - but it's a start). There was also a new brand of vegan mince (Meatless Farms) - I've picked up a pack of this to see how it compares to the Naturli stuff. Also (and I assume these were veggie rather than vegan, but forgot to check), there were some new Linda McCartney fresh pizzas - ones with fake meaty toppings (one was chicken and chorizo, IIRC). I'm surprised I haven't seen products like this before, it seems obvious (likewise why aren't fake coronation chicken sandwiches etc. available?...)

It's really good to see - and I suspect that with the increased choice available it's only going to help persuade people to give it a go - it's so much easier to cut meat out (even if just for a day or two a week) than it ever has been before.

• Upvote 2