rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Hierophant

Thermomix

42 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I’ve never really looked into saving my own recipes onto it - believe its possible via cookidoo website but not sure how it works

Ah sorry, I didn’t mean cookidoo, I meant the Thermomix. Having come straight into the TM6 I don’t really see the distinction. 

ah, you don't mean saving recipes, just taking something that already exists and doing as much as possible in the TM

general recipe adaption is a feel thing that gets far easier just with experience of using it

• the chopping stuff is super powerful so really easy to puree things when you want a dice 
  • sauces that need reducing require monitoring initially to get your new timings, you have to get a feel for what '30m on a low simmer' actually is in the settings on this
  • reverse speed 1 stirring is equivalent to a constant wooden spoon stirring (blades duller on back side)
  • things that need sieving really don't as the blending is so powerful (even curry pastes/sauces with nuts/tomato skins I can get silky smooth)
  • try the fruit sorbet !

its such a flexible tool - I use mine more as an always out bit of my wider cooking workflow as I'm usually batch cooking in it, but of course with the Varoma tray and the new sous vide, fermenting and slow cooking functions it can expand much wider than that.

Yeah, that’s what I meant. I want to use it as much as possible day to day rather than just follow Cookidoo recipes (although there are lots of them that look great). 

I guess i am I am going to have to read the manual and get practicing. 

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

ah, you don't mean saving recipes, just taking something that already exists and doing as much as possible in the TM

general recipe adaption is a feel thing that gets far easier just with experience of using it

• the chopping stuff is super powerful so really easy to puree things when you want a dice 

Thanks thats all really helpful. I am going to try to make a pico de gallo tonight. I’ll try to end up with a dice and not a funny purée. 

I’m addicted to this thread, I’m sure I will end up with one but I’m thinking I need to get my mum and dad to buy one - they are minted but more relevant is my mum has some debilitating back issues, they always cook from scratch so this could genuinely help my mum not be on her feet as much!

4 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I am going to try to make a pico de gallo tonight. I’ll try to end up with a dice and not a funny purée. 

Well I blitzed it, speed five for a couple of seconds a time. It worked. Took seconds not 20 minutes of chopping. 

Is it as big as it looks? Because it looks MASSIVE. Does it fill your entire worktop?

they aren't that big, fit under a standard height worktop with no problem and about the same footprint as a food processor or a kitchen aid stand mixer

Just leave this out permanently now on worktop (something I've never done with any other kitchen gadget beyond a kettle or toaster previously) as it gets so much use.

This weekend made up the chilli sauce for the beef barbecoa, strawberry & banana sorbet this morning for brekkie (it was hot still so its allowed) and then the best wholemeal bread I've tasted.

The bread is fantastic, its so light and not dense in the slightest (something I've always disliked before in bread machines or oven baked. 

This was the bog standard wholemeal recipe (just strong flour, water, butter, sugar, salt & yeast) given a 5m knead in the TM - I do cook it in a big cast iron pot, first 10m with lid on then 25-30m lid off and give it a good spray with water to develop the (excellent) crust. 

Screenshot_30_06_2019__17_04.thumb.jpg.ca7693856f59ea28f0a9b6c07618ff06.jpg

In the most middle class post ever I made up dough for pittas and hummus in this today.

Pittas were nice, as any fresh bread is, the hummus was amazing. Got to a great consistency and its all zingy with lemon and fresh tasting.

Thats another thing I won’t be buying ready made again. 

• Upvote 1

I just use a food processor but every time I make hummus I am like why do I buy this. So quick and I can add much more lemon. Also toppings are nice to get into like chopped coriander, caramelized onions, olives, a swig of good olive oil or a dollop of tapenade.

Flatbreads on the bbq with a little brush of oil or butter with crushed garlic is pretty dam good.

18 minutes ago, emerald fox said:

I just use a food processor but every time I make hummus I am like why do I buy this. So quick and I can add much more lemon. Also toppings are nice to get into like chopped coriander, caramelized onions, olives, a swig of good olive oil or a dollop of tapenade.

Flatbreads on the bbq with a little brush of oil or butter with crushed garlic is pretty dam good.

Yeah, now I know how easy and lovely the base is those variations would work a treat - quite like idea of making the hummus with roasted garlic for that mellower flavour.

we started pretty classic but did add some cumin and topped with some paprika for a little kick.

• Upvote 1

On 14/07/2019 at 15:56, Gotters said:

In the most middle class post ever I made up dough for pittas and hummus in this today.

Pittas were nice, as any fresh bread is, the hummus was amazing. Got to a great consistency and its all zingy with lemon and fresh tasting.

Thats another thing I won’t be buying ready made again. 

Yeah. Hummus is great. Did you use cookidoo recipes?

I made a béchamel today. It was so simple. 

I actually merged up 3 recipes I found, saw some added cumin, some paprika another a bit of agave, different amounts of tahini.

The more we have it out the more it gets used

This weekend made tomato pasta sauce, blitzed up the base for meatballs (minus the meat), hummus, pitta dough, cookie dough (which we froze for emergency biscuits) and the sorbet (which we make every weekend).

I know it's a luxury expensive device but feels like I'm just scratching the surface with it.

Glad to hear you appear to have bonded with it too @The Hierophant

Pizza dough yesterday. Was good. 

Lots of cooking today. Making chilli tacos for lunch. A veggie bean recipe from cookidoo. 

Then an I am making a chicken jalfrezi, saag paneer and Tarkha Dhaal tonight. All cookidoo recipes. I really want to try lots of them out and get a feel for them before I go back to my tried and tested recipes. 

7 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Lots of cooking today. Making chilli tacos for lunch. A veggie bean recipe from cookidoo. 

This was really good. Took minutes as well. 

7 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Then an I am making a chicken jalfrezi, saag paneer and Tarkha Dhaal tonight. All cookidoo recipes. I really want to try lots of them out and get a feel for them before I go back to my tried and tested recipes. 

So it’s taken me less than three hours to do all three, that includes all prep and cleaning and I’ve spent a lot of that time on my iPad and doing other stuff. Amazing. Previously this would have taken me all day. I know. I've done it. 

• Upvote 2

Used the high temp mode today for the first time to make up the caramelised onion cookidoo ‘recipe’ (it s just onion, salt and a splash of water)

Brilliant, you lob some red onion lumps in, press a few buttons, 25m later you have a lovely pile of sweet dark onions - would never be bothered to make these up in a pan stirring for ages.

Went a treat with my second batch of hummus, really dialling that in now, used some cloves of garlic I roasted instead of raw, really rounded and mellowed it out. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Gotters said:

Used the high temp mode today for the first time to make up the caramelised onion cookidoo ‘recipe’ (it s just onion, salt and a splash of water)

Brilliant, you lob some red onion lumps in, press a few buttons, 25m later you have a lovely pile of sweet dark onions - would never be bothered to make these up in a pan stirring for ages.

Went a treat with my second batch of hummus, really dialling that in now, used some cloves of garlic I roasted instead of raw, really rounded and mellowed it out. 

Is the Thermomix stirring the onions then as they cook?

Just now, stephen129 said:

Is the Thermomix stirring the onions then as they cook?

sure is - you fully control the speed and direction - so at its lowest speed in reverse (the dull sides of the blades) its said to be the equivalent of stirring with a wooden spoon.

you aren't only turbo blending or off - its one of the really good features for things you are reducing or cook for a while that need constant or frequent attention

How’s it going @Gotters?

I am trying to use mine as much as possible. Made a great chimchurri the other day. My wife has been using it to make teriyaki sauce and steam salmon. 

This is morning I used it to make Bolognese (my recipe not cookidoo although the cookidoo recipe looks good, béchamel sauce (cookidoo recipe) and to use up some old vegetable for soup (made up recipe). 

Its definitely making king things easier in terms of chopping and weighing. 

• Upvote 1

It just sits out on my counter and is the most used single bit of equipment in the kitchen - often its nothing clever and rarely full meals, but is great for prep and sauces and dough.

caramelising onions is a neat trick too.

made some great falafel up in it the other week too.

in short wouldn't want to be without it 

I cooked a Sunday lunch today. I made the batter for the Yorkshire puddings in the Thermomix.  Bung everything in and mix speed 6 for 15 seconds. I expected lumpy batter. It was silky smooth. So easy. 

This is going to sound a bit informercial like but I'm having a kitchen/utility room clear up today and moving stuff into storage upstairs ahead of working out how best to sell it.

They claim in the Thermomix spiel all the stuff it takes out equipment wise, and I've found much of it to be true - my Vitamix Pro blender and spare jug is going (that's about £400 there I think) as is the Magimix food processor and all the attachments (again about £400 there brand new) - I accept the food processor does slice which the TM doesn't but I never use that, a mandolin is way quicker when you factor in clean up time.

I'm 50/50 on keeping the Kitchenaid stand mixer out so it will survive for now as I do use the meat grinder occasionally (not something the TM does well) - I'm not much of a baker but do accept the TM limitations in this space compared to the stand mixer (though TM bread is way better than anything I got kneaded in the Kitchenaid)

An old hand whisker/blender going too - though keeping the wall mounted Bamix as do love that, even if I rarely use now.

I don't sous vide much so that's going away (but a dedicated sous vide in a bigger bowl is better than the TMs limited bowl size).

This stuff has been accumulated over the years, and the TM6 is way better now than the previous TM31, and is a big upgrade on even the TM5.

Just posting this as know a few folks were intrigued by them and this is now a genuine user view 6m + into owning one - cooks love a gadget and I'll keep anything that has a purpose for what I make, stuff getting moved out of sight upstairs is proof of how versatile the TM actually is.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'm 50/50 on keeping the Kitchenaid stand mixer out so it will survive for now as I do use the meat grinder occasionally (not something the TM does well) - I'm not much of a baker but do accept the TM limitations in this space compared to the stand mixer (though TM bread is way better than anything I got kneaded in the Kitchenaid)

My wife has totally switched to the thermomix for bread. My daughter still uses the Kitchen Aid for making cakes. 

Infomercial time again.

Given myself this weekend of main meal prepping off and decided to see what I could do with soup - spent a while browsing the great assortment on the really good Cookidoo platform, which is the guided recipe thing you can follow on the TM itself.

Spent this morning making 3 types of fresh soup from scratch. Got a single batch of this Italian soup with sausage & pasta, single batch of Danish split pea (I added some pancetta as pea needs bacon) and made up 2 batches of our favourite the corn chowder with chorizo, which I made before and is delicious.

Most of the elapsed time is whilst the TM does its thing cooking so been able to do other stuff and every now and then chuck something in. For 3 totally different soups I've got so little washing up, and a dozen lovely looking lunches.

ital.thumb.jpg.ea0049a3cff738092ba94cb5bda8d58c.jpgpea.thumb.jpg.75af86e1b4a9cd49c010099e6d3e1c57.jpgchowd.thumb.jpg.8cfabbf1f2cdd8fdbdebe1f3222d481d.jpg

• Upvote 1

@Gotters I've been seriously considering making batches of soup for work lunches this winter. Over the summer I've been making layered salads in a big jar every morning to take in, but now the weathers snapped I don't think that's going to cut it.

I can't stretch to anywhere near a Thermomix at the moment (maybe a soup wand lol), but none the less you've inspired me

• Upvote 1

That sausage and pasta soup is fantastic - came up a little thick so good if you like hearty rather than flavoured water - recipe said Toulouse sausage a good option if Italian not available, so I went with that as Sainsbury do them.