JohnC

Lost in Space - Netflix and Neil Marshall

Yay!  Someone else who loves it! :D  I thought this was great and am really looking forward to another season. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Yay!  Someone else who loves it! :D  I thought this was great and am really looking forward to another season. 

It was SO good! 

Parker Posey is an arsehole, and perfect in the role. It's nice seeing the women being the better and more fleshed out characters too. 

It did a slow burn over the first few episodes, but my god. Amazing stuff. 

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed it overall and look forward to season 2, but it is a bit weak in some areas and Will Robinsons sad face is enough for me to kick him off a cliff!

I loved it. The only bits I had a problem with are all the moments family members say "It wasn't your fault, Will" ... WHEN IT CLEARLY ALWAYS IS!!!! Fucking liability that lad!

• Upvote 1

Of those folks who liked it in the end, did you first episode as dull as dishwasher?  I'm trying to decide if it's worth persevering for a few episodes.

1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

Of those folks who liked it in the end, did you first episode as dull as dishwasher?  I'm trying to decide if it's worth persevering for a few episodes.

It took at least a few for me to be vaguely interested, even then it's only about as good as the new Star Trek and that's not great.

Actually, I quite liked the first episode and didn't like the ending because I didn't feel it was hard enough won. I realise that this is the complete opposite of what other people are saying, but I liked how it felt like The Martian until

Spoiler

the Robot.

36 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

It took at least a few for me to be vaguely interested, even then it's only about as good as the new Star Trek and that's not great.

What?  This is miles better than the new Trek show.

Four episodes in it is utter fucking gash. Irrecoverably so.

Wise-cracking kid is painful, everyone else is bland. The setups and character dynamics are dumb, it’s full of plot holes, every episode:

“let’s do this stupid or illogical thing to get into  peril! Now let’s due a stupid or illogical thing to get out of peril!”

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, grindmouse said:

“let’s do this stupid or illogical thing to get into  peril! Now let’s due a stupid or illogical thing to get out of peril!”

Ugh. Definitely be giving it a miss then.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 15:19, grindmouse said:

Four episodes in it is utter fucking gash. Irrecoverably so.

Wise-cracking kid is painful, everyone else is bland. The setups and character dynamics are dumb, it’s full of plot holes, every episode:

Totally agree. I'm up to episode four as well, and the whole "ok, we know the robot is a homicidal maniac, but this 11 year old boy has convinced us it's a nice little pet that likes to do handprints in caves, so lets not warn or parents about it." Fuck off!

I had to stop watching during the first episode as was one of those scifi-that-doesn't-take-itself-seriously-but-isnt-comedy things that I find hard to watch.

Am I missing something good?  Trek/Expanse Sci-fi nerds who have seen this I'm asking you. 8-)

43 minutes ago, Plums said:

I had to stop watching during the first episode as was one of those scifi-that-doesn't-take-itself-seriously-but-isnt-comedy things that I find hard to watch.

Am I missing something good?  Trek/Expanse Sci-fi nerds who have seen this I'm asking you. 8-)

Nope you can safely ignore this stick with Trek & Expanse.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was about on par with Discovery (middling with some good bits) but The Expanse is ~way~ better than either..

I've not read any of this thread, but am watching this with my kids right now and we all think it's brilliant.

However, I have an inconsolable daughter following the end of episode 6 – can someone tell me, withouth spoiling it too much for myself:

Does the robot come back?

• Upvote 1

Really enjoyable in that 'Netflix 12 hour weekend binge' kinda way.

There are always ups & downs with this sort of series, where its basically an extended movie, but i was never bored. The Doctor side-story was a kinda lame, but that's my only criticism.

Glad to hear they're making another season.

On 30/04/2018 at 12:35, monkeydog said:

You've probably already made up your mind, but I'd just like to add to the people who've already said it - it picks up massively in the second half.

The wife went from playing on her phone when it was on to forcing me to binge watch the last three episodes in one sitting.

I liked all of the characters by the end which is no mean feat as a large number were annoying at the start.

Really enjoyed it, looking forward to series 2

• Upvote 3

I was unsure of this initially, then by episode 2...

Spoiler

There was a chicken, and I was totally on board.

Comparisons to Star Trek: Discovery are strange: that was crap; this isn't. It's just fun in a good way.

Okay it's gone up again in my estimation after finishing - this is actually brilliant! It feels like a classic Spielberg film across 10 episodes. I could watch it every week!

• Upvote 2

On 4 May 2018 at 20:06, Monkeyboy said:

Definitely agree with you about The Expanse.

Er, I tried a couple of episodes of The Expanse and thought it was utter gash. I didn't want to post in the main thread as it's such a love in.

When does it get good? 

5 hours ago, sandman said:

Er, I tried a couple of episodes of The Expanse and thought it was utter gash. I didn't want to post in the main thread as it's such a love in.

When does it get good? 

From episode 1.

Seriously though, The Expanse is mostly careful build up (albeit with a fair amount of action along the way) with big pay offs. Great world building, great characters. Stick with it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sandman said:

When does it get good? 

You should have been thinking it's an overloaded mess with potential in the first episode.  It's should start growing on you for the next two.  If you don't think it's the best space show ever by episode four it's probably not for you.

• Upvote 1

This is great! A proper old-school family drama with 21st century visuals.

An idealised off World, multicultural adventure where the goodies pull-together to tackle adversity and baddies in order to escape a doomed Earth.

Where do I enlist for the Resolute??