JohnC

Lost in Space - Netflix and Neil Marshall

I always find that kind of flashback structure frustrating, because generally speaking, the present day bit is what you're interested in. It's the meat of the story, so to continually cut away from that feels like you're dragging things out longer than you should. If the viewer needs to get to know the characters and their relationship with each other, then we can get to know them in the now.

There are notable exceptions, i.e. Godfather Part II, Use of Weapons etc, but generally speaking, it's an annoying dramatic device that feels more like a way of padding out a TV programme.

• Upvote 3

Blimey, does this get any better?

struggled through the first 30 minutes of episode 1 and turned it off. It was so boring. I might give it another crack tommorow, but so far the 90s movie is miles better. I actually thought the opening scene was a dream it was so odd. 

Another netflix pile of poo. Says it all when all I watch on it is the old star trek stuff most of the time. 

• Downvote 1

Finished this now and I enjoyed it. Its a family friendly space adventure. Enough said! Its not trying to be anything else. 

The season finale was particularly good with some strong special effects! I liked most of the central cast. I often find young kids to come across as obnoxious and unlikeable on TV but I'm glad to say that it wasn't the case with this, the younger cast members did a good turn. Personally loved Dr Smith, I think she's one of the main things that held the show together. Exciting set up for a second series too. I'm sure there will be one. @Sandman Smith the baddie doesn't show up til the end of episode 1. So give it a chance.

Edited by Sartre84
  • Upvote 1

I've just finished episode 4. I'll stick with it, but it's comfortable not essential.

The flashbacks are overused though.

God though I want the kids to die though after this episode. Just so so stupid. (And they'd been alrightish up until now)

Took me ages to twig where I'd seen the Dad before - he's the villian from Die another Day :lol:

Smith/PP is the highlight by far.

Made it to the end of episode 1 - much better second half.

The 2 main things I don't like

1 - The score - its just plain awful

2 - The mum - doesn't fit in at all

What I really do like

1 - The robot

• Upvote 1

I've got slightly more interested in it after episode 2 but its just been done before, there's nothing new.  After watching some refreshing shows recently that are not predictable, this is not one of them, written for idiots that have trouble following interesting stories.

Also, can someone explain the family tree here, the older child, she adopted?

@sandman

3 - the Father can't act (same expression for 3 episodes now)

23 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

She is the oldest sibling, from a previous relationship...

5 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

I've got slightly more interested in it after episode 2 but its just been done before, there's nothing new.  After watching some refreshing shows recently that are not predictable, this is not one of them, written for idiots that have trouble following interesting stories.

@sandman

3 - the Father can't act (same expression for 3 episodes now)

Don't be dissing the most under rated Bond villain of all time!,

Episode 2 done.  Still cannot stand the mum. Daughter from previous relationship not much better.

Everyone else is fine. Story picking up now.  Still love the robot

I really enjoyed this more as it went on. I figured this when I gave a shit with the mild peril going on in the last few episodes. It's not going to change the world, but it's good enough that I'm looking forward to season 2.

I watched the first episode and I didn’t care for it at all; the characters just seemed really flat and the drama fairly boring and predictable. The flashback structure is something I’ve despised since Lost, too. Although, I quite enjoyed the 1998 movie, so feel free to ignore my opinion.

2 episodes in, thought the 2nd one was much better than the 1st. Don't  mind the relationship  between Cap'n Flynt and the wife and the doctor seems to be appropriately  conniving.  Its fairly predictable  but well done and the action sequences  are pretty good.that robot would be great around the house, the missus would never be able to give out about me not hoovering again .the kids are only alright though and that blatant product  placement  actually  annoyed me.

Seems worth sticking with , especially  as the expanse season 3 probably  wont appear on netflix for a few months, this is a shinier but less fulfilling sci-fi fix.

On 16/04/2018 at 21:38, sandman said:

Blimey, does this get any better?

struggled through the first 30 minutes of episode 1 and turned it off. It was so boring. I might give it another crack tommorow, but so far the 90s movie is miles better. I actually thought the opening scene was a dream it was so odd. 

Another netflix pile of poo. Says it all when all I watch on it is the old star trek stuff most of the time. 

Could be worse....

It picks up in the latter half of the season all right and ends with a decent season 2 setup. Its not bad overall, some of the characters and dialogue  are as derivative as its possible to get. It borrows liberally from other sci fi over the last 30 years but despite the shortcomings it just about works, definitely  more family oriented than the expanse or altered carbon.

Would also watch a second  season.