rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

Psion PDA Appreciation thread

Who remembers the classic Psion PDA range from the mid to late 90's?

0*C_sCbjT3DKQMaoI_.jpeg

I was always obsessed with these as a kid, before phones and internet they just seemed to be the greatest gadget known to man. Able to carry around contacts, calendars AND tell the world time! The 3 series onwards came with an EPOC OS style system which actually seems to be host to several hundred games (SIM City being the most well known), you can pick them up for around £40 these days running for up to £15 on a set of AA batteries even back then and I'm giving serious thought to picking one up. Any gone down this route? Much experience with the games library?

I'm giving serious thought to picking up a Psion 5MX with it's mind blowing 16MB.

• Upvote 5

I was looking at the Revo but I wasn't best pleased with the lack of CF slot, makes it tough to transfer stuff? I can actually see myself taking the 5MX into meetings for jotting notes down then sticking them in the slot on works PC to grab stuff off. iPads are so last year!

I was looking into 5MX prices recently. I've always wanted one as their size, fantastic keyboards and replaceable batteries have always appealed. If only they had wifi to allow basic email sending, I'd definitely use one now. And I ain't no hipster!!

Tch. I have a 3a, but its sole purpose is as a staging device for getting files to my PC from the cream of Psion's crop, the MC400. 20+ hour life laptop that runs on 8 AA batteries, with cherry key keyboard and no distractions, it's the ultimate portable typing device.

(also came out in 1989, no fucker bought them, and isn't often forward compatible with 3 software, so don't expect much more than typing to be an option for them)

I had a Revo, it was great at the time. I used Infrared to connect it to my Ericsson phone and then used it as a modem to collect emails. It was a great piece of kit.

I threw it out about 10 years ago, although ice still got the manuals somewhere. Just didn't see the point in it. Kind of wish I'd kept it.

It was a sad story what happened to Psion. They spun off the OS division to become Symbian. Which was bought by Nokia and slowly fucked up by them...

My mate was pretty high up in the Symbian team, ended up working for Accenture after they purchased Symbian from Nokia.

He had great stories about how shit Nokia's UI designers were. Like having tiny icons that absolutely needed a stylus to select.

Then Apple came along....

• Upvote 1

Hell yes, I had the 3a and the 5.. was a bit pissed when the 5mx came out.

Really cool hardware. The OS on the 5 was lovely and I even coded a bit in opl32?

The keyboard mechanism on the 5 was ridiculous.

I even travelled half way across cornwall to buy a used copy of the psiwin software for £70

:lol:

The nc100 was a strange one. Tempted me at the time.

I had the amstrad digital filofax thing too (the one ashens reviewed and it went all gunky because the rubber had degraded)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenPad

and before that the little sharp and casio ones you could get from argos for £13.99

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/713SAjYwFhL._SX355_.jpgsomething like that

Always wanted a Zaurus and that little toshiba laptop .. can't remember what it was called.

• Upvote 1

These were one of those devices that were out of time. Now obsolete, but in many ways never bettered; kind of like the iPod clickwheel.

My Dad had one of the original format ones, like a scientific calculator on steroids crossed with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I saw one with a single picture on eBay but with the clam case closed so you couldn't see the screen. Asked if he could take a picture and show it powered up as his description mentioned none of it so he did but it was on a crappy phone camera that was a bit blurry. Down to one corner it looked like there was damage looked like it could be the reflection so I wasn't sure. I aked him about it and..... never replied. Been two days and he's listed other things so def been on. People just don't want money :unsure:

Taken a few days but finally got it all up and running:

Ran into a few problems with the data appearing corrupt or the CF disk not loading but shortly after filming I had Windows 10 do a disk repair and it ran perfectly after!

• Upvote 4

Another highly enjoyable episode Lofarious, when I was younger I thought they were the bee knees.

I still think they're pretty damn awesome, the nearest modern equivalent I would say would be the small Sony Vaio.

Just discovered Computer CHronicles which did a feature on PDA, the last one they featured in that episode is laughable.

• Upvote 1

Now sat at my desk playing Sim City on it, great first day! Not had a meeting with it but not too heavy so easy enough to carry around in the case.

Interested in a follow up with games running on it please.

Tch. I have a 3a, but its sole purpose is as a staging device for getting files to my PC from the cream of Psion's crop, the MC400. 20+ hour life laptop that runs on 8 AA batteries, with cherry key keyboard and no distractions, it's the ultimate portable typing device.

(also came out in 1989, no fucker bought them, and isn't often forward compatible with 3 software, so don't expect much more than typing to be an option for them)

This looks quite neat as a solution:

http://retrocosm.net/2013/07/12/blog-to-the-future-part-ii/

It'd almost be like living in the future.

This looks quite neat as a solution:

http://retrocosm.net/2013/07/12/blog-to-the-future-part-ii/

It'd almost be like living in the future.

If the blogger gave a guide for how to configure the Pi to work as an interface (and it was configured for easy file transfer rather than terminal mode) I'd be very tempted to grab a Raspberry Pi and do that.

I had one of these lovely wood-effect series 3a's for years...

4442439273_77697e4e8c.jpg

...it was the absolute business. One feature that was light years ahead of its time was the calendar software that allowed you to add a document to any entry - even today that functionality is a bit hard to use elegantly in Google etc. Also, amazing battery life on 2 AA's!

• Upvote 2