IGNORED

Fallout 4 - PC performance, tweaking, modding

davejm

This f***ing game, just how they could release it in this state for PC.... I've tried editing F4 files, config etc. Windowed mode, lowering framerate, turning off Vsync but the movement freeze after exiting a terminal still happens. Not an uncommon problem by all accounts either.

I've never had that happen but I've never touched the ini or messed with the game files. Perhaps in doing that, something got stuck? Did you amend the ini for anything other than the freeze problem (ie did you have the freeze problem with the initial game?) what res/hardware you running? I think I've read that mainly happen to people who unlimited the framerate but no reason why it can't happen to the vanilla game too I guess. In 10 hours, I've been fortunate enough to only have one issue after fixing the stuttering via windowed borderless - some textures didn't load into one area.

I've never had that happen but I've never touched the ini or messed with the game files. Perhaps in doing that, something got stuck? Did you amend the ini for anything other than the freeze problem (ie did you have the freeze problem with the initial game?) what res/hardware you running? I think I've read that mainly happen to people who unlimited the framerate but no reason why it can't happen to the vanilla game too I guess. In 10 hours, I've been fortunate enough to only have one issue after fixing the stuttering via windowed borderless - some textures didn't load into one area.

I backup everything and put back as it was, doesn't make a bit of difference. I'm running it on an Nvidia 980GTX on an SSD with 16GB RAM, Win10 Pro 64Bit, i7-4790K. Just happens at random.

What are these god rays you guys are all talking about?

I'm playing this on PS4 because I made the decision to stay well away from the PC version for at least a year, until everything's running smoothly ... should I be distressed that I am (I assume) missing out on "god rays"?

It's the shafts of light. Most obvious when looking directly at the sun.

I backup everything and put back as it was, doesn't make a bit of difference. I'm running it on an Nvidia 980GTX on an SSD with 16GB RAM, Win10 Pro 64Bit, i7-4790K. Just happens at random.

I have the same set up as you bar 8gb of ram and i5 2500k and never had a single issue with terminals - do you have an overclock on your CPU? That has caused some people issues.

This f***ing game, just how they could release it in this state for PC.... I've tried editing F4 files, config etc. Windowed mode, lowering framerate, turning off Vsync but the movement freeze after exiting a terminal still happens. Not an uncommon problem by all accounts either.

Aye, I feel your pain. It is driving me mad too. As much as I am loving the experience when it works, the random weapon / pip boy disappearances, doors glitching into an unusable state and this fucking terminal freeze are pulling me out constantly. They are mostly issues fixed with reloads though and I'm willing to cut them some slack. I fully expected it to be this way and could have easily waited to buy it when it had had sufficient time to be patched and hammered into the state it should have been released in, but as long as it sells bucketloads in this state with them fixing after release they will continue to work in this way.

I get framerate issues in city area too. Changing visual settings does nothing. Ultra, high and medium is the same. All other areas are fine on ultra.

Same thing for me. 60 everywhere but cities where it drops as low as 40 for no real reason that I can see.

So the fix is to run the game at 60fps. Like everyone has already mentioned.

Yes that was suggested to be running at 60fps and as I replied if you read back my card settings were already at that. It's a disgrace it's even happening. When I couldn't get it working yesterday I fired up MGS 5 for the first time, I must have played about 4/5 hours of that and you know how many times it crashed out, glitched or buggered up? 0. Bethesda is not some small back lane studio, they've been at this a long time and made a hell of a lot of cash on the back of their franchises. It isn't acceptable.

I agree. The whole game doesn't work above 60fps thing is a total joke; the same shitty engine bug is/was in Skyrim (2011).

That said, it seems odd that a default game and driver setup that absolutely will be vsync locked is running the game without vsync.

Are you leaving out some information like you changed some driver settings, have a Gsync monitor or something like that?

Same thing for me. 60 everywhere but cities where it drops as low as 40 for no real reason that I can see.

I expected my framerate to drop a bit when I got to Diamond City considering how dense an area it was, but it stayed solid at 60. But then I suspect people with similar set ups to mine probably have more settings up that are 60 everything else but drop in more dense demanding areas - when the game first game out, the guy who wrote the nvidia guide posted on neogaf saying the reason geforce experience was saying turn some settings down beyond god rays even on a 980 was to give a smooth experience even with the demanding areas - so I applied nvidia experience and this knocks down the following:

God Rays - Medium

Shadow Distance - Medium

Object Fade Detail - High

Using that, I've not seen the game really dip at all - been perfect the whole 17 hours so far. Everything else is set to max, i5 2500k, 980, 8gb ram, game on SSD, Windows 10

I've added some more mods to the original post...

I'm ignoring ENB, Sweetfx, Reshade mods for the time being. There will be shit loads of them appearing, each appeasing different tastes. So obviously if that's something you wanna do, check the Nexus.

There are some texture mods appearing too (better rocks, for example) but I'll wait until some substantial texture packs start appearing. It's still early days.

Not with everything on, no. But the couple of settings that you need to turn down don't reduce the visual quality from Ultra much at all as far as I can tell. I am playing at 1080p with a 970 at 60fps 99% of the time with only godrays and shadow distance turned down; with no obvious or dramatic impact to the visuals. Get a couple of odd dips here and there; but otherwise it's almost always a solid 60fps.

The framerate just goes to Shit for me in dense city areas. I've got a 970, i7 4790 and 16gb of ram. This is after setting godrays and shadows to medium too to see if that would fix it. Made no difference.

Same for me with same specs as you but I've got r9 290 instead of your 970