IGNORED

Fallout 4 - PC performance, tweaking, modding

davejm

It's a mess at 144fps, I might cap it at 60 for now. :(

The speech is fine at first, but then there's no gaps between anyone speaking, so it's just a constant, overlapping garble and the animation can't keep up. Audio cue's are out of whack too (the ominous music doesn't kick in until something has already appeared?). Dog is whining and angry....but looks fine, after I've Stimpacked him. Then there's this:

It's one of the biggest games of the year, and it's 2015. How the fuck is shit like this even still a thing!?

I've left everything as god (the auto-detect tool) intended (maxed out, except for godrays). It runs so well. No such problems with stuttering in full screen, stays steady at 60fps.

I was going to apply the sweetfx mod to sort out the washed out colours, but in actual play it doesn't seem washed out to me anyway so I won't bother.

im having a weird one too, done the above fixes and am getting 60fps on 2560x1440, but am locked to 30 when I go 3840x2160

any ideas chaps?

I believe regular vsync will only work at 60fps or 30 fps, on a 60hz display at least. I'd guess that your PC can't maintain 60fps at the higher resolution, so it's being vsynced at 30fps instead.

I'd recommend turning off the in-game vsync if you're having the 30fps issue and enabling adaptive vsync through the Nvidia control panel instead. You'll end up with some tearing, but it'll probably run more smoothly.

Disclaimer: This might all be bollocks. :ph34r:

Yeah I'm playing the game as intended unless I get to a point where the colours actually look washed out. Besides a vanilla run of the game and then another mod filled re run in a few years is the way to go ha

Oh BTW you may get the full screen stuttering issue I had if you have multiple monitors attached according to neogaf. Don't know what caused it but I know borderless full screen fixed it with no impact on performance or gameplay so I'm happy!

Amd still don't have a new driver out I think and certain features like God rays etc are especially tanking Amd card performance. Hard to know without your exact settings. Basically if you have a amd card be prepared to turn settings down for good frameerates . even my 980 can't run the game with everything set to ultra at 1080p at constant 60fps

im not getting constant 60 on my 970, I get 60 alot of the time but i get dips as low as 40 at times but it is pretty much all set to ultra except god rays on high

the nvidia geforce experience control thing is telling me to dial back godrays (to medium), object detail fade (to high), shadow distance (to medium) but I like the shinies so dont want to make it look too bad otherwise whats the point :)

Amd still don't have a new driver out I think and certain features like God rays etc are especially tanking Amd card performance. Hard to know without your exact settings. Basically if you have a amd card be prepared to turn settings down for good frameerates . even my 980 can't run the game with everything set to ultra at 1080p at constant 60fps

I should of just parted with more money for a Nvidia card tbh. Every new game release there's a long wait for bloody AMD drivers!

I believe regular vsync will only work at 60fps or 30 fps, on a 60hz display at least. I'd guess that your PC can't maintain 60fps at the higher resolution, so it's being vsynced at 30fps instead.

I'd recommend turning off the in-game vsync if you're having the 30fps issue and enabling adaptive vsync through the Nvidia control panel instead. You'll end up with some tearing, but it'll probably run more smoothly.

Disclaimer: This might all be bollocks. :ph34r:

cheers mogster ill have a tinker, but I dont think its the rig, its an overclocked 5960 with SLI 980s.

Really having trouble with this. Newest Nvidia drivers, 970 and a 3570k@4.4 so 'oomph' isn't an issue but today I had my fifth BSOD (despite following all the steps to stop it ala windowed boarderless, no steam overlay, no external programmes running like Afterburner ect) and several crashes to desktop.

My Steam is up to date but I'm thinking of saving all my saves to the cloud and re-installing Steam.

Is anyone else having these sorts of troubles?

I wonder how many people in reality can detect incorrect frame pacing? as apparently Bethesda's engine is crap and this game suffers from the problem to the extent that even all the third-party external tools can't fix it properly either. Might explain why devs don't fix it too on a lot of games, they can't tell the difference too.

Bethesda's creaky old engine even commits the cardinal sin people love to accuse Japanese developers of most of the time. I suppose they believe in the old saying of if it's broke and not enough people complain, don't bother to fix it.

I know this isn't exactly true Master race behaviour but I've got mine plugged into my 55" TV soi it only goes to 1080 but I just out my TV in 'vivid colour' mode which normally makes everything else look like a garish mess but for this it just adds that bit of vibrancy that the mod seems to anyway.

You guys getting 30fps, you absolutely sure there's no adaptive vsync going on?

I've just left the default vsync in place, it actually feels OK for once for me.

Yes I've turned off V-Sync in the Nvidia control panel but still get the silly 500fps on the loading screens which make all the text appear and disappear after about three seconds. I get about 128fps in game but the lockpicking is all over the place.

Maybe its my screen res, I'm running 1920x1080.

Edit: It was my fucking monitor refresh rate - set it to 60hertz and I'm in dreamland!

It's a mess at 144fps, I might cap it at 60 for now. :(

It's awful joke on a G-Sync monitor at 144hz. I'm getting stuck at terminals when I back out, I can move the camera around, but my body is still there, and I have to reload. :rolleyes:

For anyone with G-Sync, turn it off and go with Fixed Refresh. If you have ULMB, even better. I've not had any issues so far. I've also read to change both Fallout4Prefs, from iPresentInterval=1 to iPresentInterval=0. But...I think these get re-written every time you restart, so...I've just left it alone and seems fine so far. Tried a terminal 20 times just now and didn't get stuck once..

Just in case anyone else is in the same boat with me with the constant crash to desktops and BSOD, I think I've eliminated it by removing the overclock on my CPU. It wasn't a massive one (3.4 - 4.2) and I wasn't anywhere near overheating but I remembered that some games don't like any sort of CPU tinkering and it seems to have sorted my issues out.

I think I must be really lucky as I've had zero crashes or issues aside from that vsync stuttering which was fixed by playing in windowed borderless. I have my i5 2500k OCed to 4.6Ghz so would have expected at least something if its a game that doesn't like overclocks much. Shit for all of you lot with problems though as its a great game - I hated F3 but this is very enjoyable.

the nvidia geforce experience control thing is telling me to dial back godrays (to medium), object detail fade (to high), shadow distance (to medium) but I like the shinies so dont want to make it look too bad otherwise whats the point :)

I also have a 970 and geforce experience is telling me optimization is unavailable for fallout 4?!?

Is this the right place to report a quest bug or should I use the main thread? I went to get a radio mast for Sanctuary and was getting my ass kicked by a boss mob, so left to get my power armour and minigun, came back, killed the boss and the person I need to hand in to is now randomly wandering the wasteland and won't talk to me about the quest :/

I also have a 970 and geforce experience is telling me optimization is unavailable for fallout 4?!?

Is this the right place to report a quest bug or should I use the main thread? I went to get a radio mast for Sanctuary and was getting my ass kicked by a boss mob, so left to get my power armour and minigun, came back, killed the boss and the person I need to hand in to is now randomly wandering the wasteland and won't talk to me about the quest :/

geforce experience has been broken for a while for Fallout 4. It was unavailable for a while, and it has appeared for me but recommends I play everything on low in the lowest resolution possible and everything turned off. It says that I don't meet the minimum requirements for the game - despite having an i7, 12gb RAM and a 970.

well...just manageed to tank the frame rate!?!...iove noticed in some sections in built up areas, it suddenly dros fro m60 to 40...for seemingly no reason, as there is nothing in site...then i got to the to of the tower...and it went to 24 when looking out....:/ ... even though there is very litle detail on display in the distance! yeash! (i74970k, 32ram, 970)

well...just manageed to tank the frame rate!?!...iove noticed in some sections in built up areas, it suddenly dros fro m60 to 40...for seemingly no reason, as there is nothing in site...then i got to the to of the tower...and it went to 24 when looking out....:/ ... even though there is very litle detail on display in the distance! yeash! (i74970k, 32ram, 970)

What settings you using? I found I had to knock God rays and shadow quality down to medium each for decent frames during lots of God rays and shadows. I guess the city has a lot more shadows to cast.