IGNORED

Fallout 4 - PC performance, tweaking, modding

davejm

Yes. You set up additional directories in the client then when you install games it let's you pick between them.

Or just use something like Steam Mover to move a game (or several) to your SSD and back as you feel like it.

Now that would be pretty useful as I have 150Gb+ of spare space on the SDD that could be better used running disk heavy games.

i5 4690k, 8Gb, 2Gb 750Ti w/ Fallout4 gameready drivers

On launch - either from Steam or Geforce Experience - Fallout4 kept crashing for me. Ended up following the Bethesda support link from the splash screen and following the tip aout the Fallout4 beta which has resolved the crashing for me (despite - I think - not having xaudio). Give it a try, here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1544136-fallout-4-updates/

Also, the game preselected 'high' settings and initially I'm seeing no reason not to push the envelope a little. be interesting to see how far I can push settings,

That's even more mental. If you've got the space just use it, it's not going to conk out in a month's time as a result or anything.

SSDs scare me. I like knowing if I delete a file, I can potentially get it back haha. But with the SSD "TRIM" command, that's rarely possible.

i5 4690k, 8Gb, 2Gb 750Ti w/ Fallout4 gameready drivers

On launch - either from Steam or Geforce Experience - Fallout4 kept crashing for me. Ended up following the Bethesda support link from the splash screen and following the tip aout the Fallout4 beta which has resolved the crashing for me (despite - I think - not having xaudio). Give it a try, here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1544136-fallout-4-updates/

Also, the game preselected 'high' settings and initially I'm seeing no reason not to push the envelope a little. be interesting to see how far I can push settings,

I came accross this late yesterday, and it solved my crash problems too, despite not having xaudio either. Weird. Worth trying if anyone else is having problems.

Nobody else bothered by the mouselook vertical axis having a much slower speed than the horizontal?

I fixed it by editing Fallout.ini, and changed:

[Controls]

fMouseHeadingXScale=.021

fMouseHeadingYScale=.021

to

[Controls]

fMouseHeadingXScale=.021

fMouseHeadingYScale=.041

I can only see these in my .ini file? Am I looking in the wrong place? Ta.

[Controls]

fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0300

fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=0.6667

bAlwaysRunByDefault=1

bInvertYValues=0

bGamePadRumble=1

EDIT: It's OK, I found it, you mean in Docs>My Games. Also changed that VSync nonsense. :)

SSDs scare me. I like knowing if I delete a file, I can potentially get it back haha. But with the SSD "TRIM" command, that's rarely possible.

All the more reason to install games on it then, who gives a shit if you delete a game file? Not that you would have any reason to, but even if you did you won't have broken anything bar that game and you can easily re-download it anyway.

Yes. You set up additional directories in the client then when you install games it let's you pick between them.

Excellent! Thanks

Yes, it works fine, really easy too. I have MGS, GTA and currently Fallout on my SSD, the rest of the list of shame in my HDD.

If you want to move a game & saves back and forth, just drag and drop it to the other Steam folder location, 'delete local' on Steam, then click Install, choose the new location and voila. No need to download again.

It's a mess at 144fps, I might cap it at 60 for now. :(

The speech is fine at first, but then there's no gaps between anyone speaking, so it's just a constant, overlapping garble and the animation can't keep up. Audio cue's are out of whack too (the ominous music doesn't kick in until something has already appeared?). Dog is whining and angry....but looks fine, after I've Stimpacked him. Then there's this:

:hug:

post-16-0-89339300-1447183459.jpg

In Skyrim I believe the calculated setting was

16:9 - fMouseHeadingYScale=.0373
16:10 - fMouseHeadingYScale=.0336
21:9 - - fMouseHeadingYScale=.0490

http://iezzi.io/tools/fo4_sensitivity/

This can vary though, you usually have to tweak it and you will end up with some wacky values that just work for you in this engine.

Also, bMouseAcceleration=0 should work. Clamping your fps and and setting max pre-rendered frames to 2 or below will also improve pointer lag in this engine. Again more Skyrim jank.

These variables also exist but I've never used them

fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0fForegroundMouseBase=0fForegroundMouseMult=0bForceIgnoreSmoothness=1

If you want to risk uncapping the frame rate in game you will still have to cap it with something externally (nvidia cp/afterburner) because most of the game stuff is tied to the fps.
This might fix frame pacing but may also cause the game to blow up.

(Nvidia) Adaptive Vsync might work on a 144Hz monitor, Gsync probably doesn't.

These were in my docs/Skyrim.ini

fDefault1stPersonFOV=90.0000fDefaultWorldFOV=90.0000fDefaultFOV=90.0000

I think if you use the console in game you need to supply two arguments. So pop open the console and do fov 90 90.

I was getting slight stuttering yesterday (GTX 980) - according to neogaf, you can eliminate this by running the game borderless windowed so will try that later

Did this and it works perfectly now. Smooth with most settings set to max - game looks and plays wonderfully

It's a mess at 144fps, I might cap it at 60 for now. :(

The speech is fine at first, but then there's no gaps between anyone speaking, so it's just a constant, overlapping garble and the animation can't keep up. Audio cue's are out of whack too (the ominous music doesn't kick in until something has already appeared?). Dog is whining and angry....but looks fine, after I've Stimpacked him. Then there's this:

:hug:

attachicon.gifbethesda_logo.jpg

Oh my...

tumblr_n95o7nhdWo1t0jev2o1_250.gif

Useful tool for configuration

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout4%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D102&pUp=1

as for vsync, I've been using the present interval set to 0 and using the Gforce experience to keep the frame rate stable. otherwise with in game vsync on it feels like I'm moving through treacle.