IGNORED

Fallout 4 - PC performance, tweaking, modding

davejm

That sounds like a load of bollocks. All my games perform better when installed to my SDD.

I've compared a fair few games and while it made none of them worse, for a surprising number of them there was negligible difference in load speeds when running off ssd compared to a mechanical drive. Well worth it for those where there is a difference though, because there certainly can be quite an improvement.

if you're using a 970 or 980 at 1080p turn godrays to high rather than ultra and juice everything else up

Feedback on GAF says that godrays can be set as far as low as there no visible difference as far as the screen shots go but the tweak guide says the difference is more evident in motion.

I'd run my OS on an SSD but I wouldn't bother loading games on it. Just feel like that would somehow shorten the life of it quicker.

That's even more mental. If you've got the space just use it, it's not going to conk out in a month's time as a result or anything.

That's even more mental. If you've got the space just use it, it's not going to conk out in a month's time as a result or anything.

I'd run my OS on an SSD but I wouldn't bother loading games on it. Just feel like that would somehow shorten the life of it quicker.

:D

OK. I have an SSD in my work machine here. I have my OS and full development environment on it as well as the projects I build every day. This machine is on pretty much 24/7. I have had the SSD drive in this machine for just over two years without a hitch whatsoever - this drive is being hit with read/write cycles all the time!

Once a game is installed its mostly doing reads and its the writes that "wear" the drives if anything.

Anyway. Just use it and enjoy the benefits that come with it.

I have an SSD on my home machine but it has a fairly tiny capacity (128GB) this is because it was relatively cheap at the time I got it for an SSD drive. Only reason I don't have many games installed there. :) Time for an upgrade at somepoint I think as they are much cheaper these days*.

* EDIT: http://www.ebuyer.com/581256-kingston-ssdnow-v300-480gb-sata3-2-5inch-ssd-sv300s37a-480g

Wow yes they have dropped in price a bit. £114 for 480GB?! :) I feel an upgrade coming in the near future .....

Also turn off vsync (it's in pref.ini in documents/my games.) It comes under iPresentInterval=1 change that to 0. It stops a really annyoing judder bug.

Any issues arisen after doing that? Last couple of Bethesda games have had problems when switching off vsync, so I'm not sure about disabling it, Skyrim had notorious issues. The fact they don't give a menu option to switch it off might say something. It might be better to either force vsync through your gfx card control panel (default vsync is apparently adaptive and can lock fps to 30) or disable it and lock framerate to 60 using an external program.

Anyone else just let the game auto select settings and got on with it? ;)

I did! It maxed everything bar God rays which it auto detected as high but I only got to play 30 mins. The camera felt a bit juddery if I turned it left to right really quickly so still want to tweak (probably dodgy v sync implementation) . Otherwise looked lovely and ran OK

Anyone else just let the game auto select settings and got on with it? ;)

You're in the wrong thread for that. :lol:

Any issues arisen after doing that? Last couple of Bethesda games have had problems when switching off vsync, so I'm not sure about disabling it, Skyrim had notorious issues. The fact they don't give a menu option to switch it off might say something. It might be better to either force vsync through your gfx card control panel (default vsync is apparently adaptive and can lock fps to 30) or disable it and lock framerate to 60 using an external program.

Turning off vsync lets the framerate go wild and things like lock picking run way too fast. You just need to enable vsync or cap it outside the game.

I let Fallout pick its settings (Ultra) and then used Nvidia panel to "optimise" which said medium for shadow something

Game seems to run absolutely fine - the only area I've seen a problem was the opening video seems to have terrible frame rate/noticeable issue - but that might have been a thematic design choice

Game seems to run absolutely fine - the only area I've seen a problem was the opening video seems to have terrible frame rate/noticeable issue - but that might have been a thematic design choice

I had that. It's because it's loading the game in the background I think.

Also (think this is best place to ask) - anyone know how to get PipBoy app to work? I've got it on a tablet to sit infront of me on desk, but even when turning on in the menu (both pc/tablet on same wifi network) it doesn't seem to work

Not sure if it helps but I had to enable it in the menu, then exit and restart the game, and then tell Windows Firewall to allow the game to talk to the app.

Any tips for a basic idiot on how to do this? Keep it simple and (if possible) in words of 1 syllable

I too am a basic idiot. I'll try though. :)

After I turned on Pip-Boy App in the menu, I exited to desktop and launched the game again. I got a Windows popup saying something like "Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this app: (Fallout 4) - do you want to enable them Y/N" and I just chose Yes.

(Actually I got a blank screen and had to alt-tab to the Firewall settings page but that may have been something to do with my multi-monitor setup).

Then in the app, I just chose Connection Type: PC, and then as if by magic the local IP address for my PC was there on screen for me to choose.

Minor spoiler: you don't get the Pip-Boy immediately in-game, you have to find it. If you don't have one the app should still connect though, it'll just display something like "No Pip-Boy Found" until you find it and pick it up.

I read somewhere that SDDs are not as efficient as HDDs when it comes to running games.

I have no idea why as the article then went technical on me...

You might be thinking of the PS4. That does throw up weird results.

You might be thinking of the PS4. That does throw up weird results.

I can't remember. I remember thinking it sounded odd and then swiftly moved on, easily forgetting all details, as I didn't have an sSD at the time.

I have an SSD only for the OS but that's mostly as my steam library is ridiculously large, even with just my most used, or most likely to be used, games left installed.

Not much to contribute but just thought I'd mention that the Specs for this game are complete bullshit (as expected). Technically I am below minimum spec, an i3 2120 and HD7850, and yet this fucker runs on high with the fancy lad stuff turned off very smoothly.

If you were on the fence and worried because you have old hardware don't worry about it. The optimisation is really nicely done.

I have an SSD only for the OS but that's mostly as my steam library is ridiculously large, even with just my most used, or most likely to be used, games left installed.

Out of interest anyone know if you can have your Steam games installed over two different drives? Not looked into it yet but like the idea of having the game I'm currently playing on the SSD and the rest of my library on a secondary slower HDD.