IGNORED

Fallout 4 - PC performance, tweaking, modding

davejm

Not really my area of expertise but judging from a few benchmarks I've looked at I think you should be about on par with the PS4 (though you may have to drop down to medium settings). Laptops don't tend to be great gaming machines in my experience.

Well it should run on my Radeon 7850 HD 2Gb OC, it automatically chose medium settings too so it shouldn't be as bad as I first thought. I've not played any yet so I'll see how it fares later once I've finished work and put the little one to bed.

Not really my area of expertise but judging from a few benchmarks I've looked at I think you should be about on par with the PS4 (though you may have to drop down to medium settings). Laptops don't tend to be great gaming machines in my experience.

Good to know, cheers Rob.

I've got a GTX 660 and an aging i5 750. At 1080p the graphics auto detected Medium and it hovered around 50fps, but the frequent drops into the 30/40 range were very jarring.

As the game has quite a soft look anyway and I'm sitting back with a pad I decided to drop the resolution slightly and up the quality of the graphics. Now I have a solid 60fps at High. Pretty happy with that.

So went to this site:-

http://www.game-debate.com/

Did a bit of fiddling around putting my system specs in to work out roughly how well it will run. It determined that the CPU was my bottleneck (i5 3470) and clicked "Remove Bottleneck" (basically suggests what you can use in your current setup to bolster performance). It came back with this:-

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-e5-2695-v2-lga-2011-ivy-bridge-12-core-24ghz-clock-32ghz-turbo-80gt-s-30mb-cache-115w-cpu

Amusing... Server class processor costing around £1800.... :D

Tentatively thinking about picking this up on the PC and actually trying to get into it and playing over a long period of time. Don't normally do this with games as I like to chop and change around a lot but won't harm to have something I can keep going back to in the background. Never played Fallout 3 so intrigued to give this a shot.

I won't need to upgrade the PC though... :) I'll just live with how well it runs... I have 16GB RAM and a GTX970 so it should run well enough.

I've got a GTX 660 and an aging i5 750. At 1080p the graphics auto detected Medium and it hovered around 50fps, but the frequent drops into the 30/40 range were very jarring.

As the game has quite a soft look anyway and I'm sitting back with a pad I decided to drop the resolution slightly and up the quality of the graphics. Now I have a solid 60fps at High. Pretty happy with that.

I had a similar approach with the Witcher 3. GTX 660 ti and a similar processor.Knocked down the res slightly and found I could get away with higher graphics and crucially (for me) a much more stable framerate around 60fps

1080p, 60 fps gameplay. (remember to change settings to 1080/60 on youtube) Looks awesome.

Right, that's it, I'm in. Total Fallout virgin here and very excited to get lost in its world. I seem to be getting more and more in to these sort of games the older I get but that's a whole different conversation.

PC specs are way above what's in that video so should be delicious. CDKeys cheapest to pick it up?

Well it certainly looks nice at 1080p ultra...except I cannot go higher than that. I have a 21.9 monitor and should be able to output a nice 3440x1440 res but Fallout doesn't want to do this, in fact all it wants is 1080...in a fucking window! No fullscreen for me. if I try to select fullscreen then the game defaults to 800x600 and will not allow me to choose any other res, by that I mean the bar for selecting result ion appears totally blank. You cannot change it.

Well it certainly looks nice at 1080p ultra...except I cannot go higher than that. I have a 21.9 monitor and should be able to output a nice 3440x1440 res but Fallout doesn't want to do this, in fact all it wants is 1080...in a fucking window! No fullscreen for me. if I try to select fullscreen then the game defaults to 800x600 and will not allow me to choose any other res, by that I mean the bar for selecting result ion appears totally blank. You cannot change it.

Some games have this issue due to windows DPI settings. Try right clicking the exe and you should get an option about the DPI settings. Total guess, but it might work.

Some games have this issue due to windows DPI settings. Try right clicking the exe and you should get an option about the DPI settings. Total guess, but it might work.

Just solved it. Had to go into the falloutpref.ini in documents my games. There I adjusted to 3440x1440 and selected bordeless as being 1 not 0. Now it works and the game looks lovely.

G3258 @ 4.2Ghz, 8GB Ram, GTX960 (2GB Mini ITX peasant version).

Well, first of all, it works. It detected my system as capable of running Ultra on all settings, with the exception of God Rays (which is on high).

Played the first hour - Seems to run fine, but the framerate can fluctuate an awful lot. Nothing devastating, but it's enough to irk me - likely going to tweak a couple of settings, possibly set God Rays even lower or other lighting effects I don't particularly care for. To be honest, though, that seems to be an issue regardless of your hardware.

Otherwise, fantastic. The £50 processor lives to see another day!

Edit: Blu3Flame beat me to it

Nvidia's Fallout 4 Graphics, Performance & Tweaking Guide for those that are interested

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

I wonder how improved the load times will be when using an SSD

Nvidia's performance guide is out, so the drivers should be out pretty soon.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Any reason why this is gone?

Any reason why this is gone?

Strange. It was very detailed too. Perhaps it went live too soon?

TAA continues to be magic.

According to the console boys this doesn't look any better than Fallout 3.

Those people are fucking insane.

I think they forget what Fallout 3 actually looked like. The dynamic lighting in this sure is something.

Nobody else bothered by the mouselook vertical axis having a much slower speed than the horizontal?

I fixed it by editing Fallout.ini, and changed:

[Controls]

fMouseHeadingXScale=.021

fMouseHeadingYScale=.021

to

[Controls]

fMouseHeadingXScale=.021

fMouseHeadingYScale=.041