His Dark Materials - Season 2 starts 8th November

2 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Ruth Wilson :wub:

Right? She's so bloody good. The casting in general is absolutely spot on tbh, I really like Simone Kirby as Mary Malone.

This season has been really great. Its really making me wants to read the books again too.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Right? She's so bloody good. The casting in general is absolutely spot on tbh, I really like Simone Kirby as Mary Malone.

Yeah, same, she's brilliant. That meeting today with her and Miss Coulter was electric.  I found myself idly thinking of her today as a potentially great Doctor Who...

2 hours ago, revol said:

Such a great bit that

Everything about it was brilliant. Pan going full rage mode, Mr Coulter gaining back control even as her daemon takes a beating and putting the fear of God into Lyra. The acting from both Wilson and Keen in that scene is fantastic.

This is so much better than the first series, isn't it? Been ages since I read the books, and I remember the second being my favourite, but all the same I'm still surprised. Watching the first series, I was mostly just happy to have a decent adaptation made finally, but it's possibly shaping up to be a lot more than that. The lad who plays Will is basically perfectly cast, and this version of Lyra makes more sense alongside him. She's a little annoying on her own, but that feels faithful to the character in retrospect. Also Tom Hooper's lack of involvement doesn't seem to be hurting things at all, if anything the direction has become more confident. Some really gripping scenes in the most recent episodes.

The Alethiometer looks more and more like a GBA SP every time I see it.

Spoilers for, like, the whole thing:

Spoiler

Still think the two main actors are a couple of years too old. When they were running around "our" Oxford they did have the look of two teenagers on a date at times, plus there was already what felt like heavy foreshadowing with that scene on the bench. Is it really going to surprise anyone when they fall in love? The ending of the books completely floored me when I read it, didn't see it coming at all. But maybe that had something to do with me being about 11 or so when I read them.

I'm also loving this series, so much more engaging than the previous one (which I also enjoyed to be fair). My girlfriend, who hasn't read the books, is also finding it a lot easier to follow. 

As a random aside, I know the person who made the metallic angel that sits outside of the tower. He's pretty pleased how prominent it has been in the series. 

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

As a random aside, I know the person who made the metallic angel that sits outside of the tower. He's pretty pleased how prominent it has been in the series. 

Every time it features prominently in the background of a scene (and it does, a lot) I think they're warming us up for when

Spoiler

the real ones show up

next series (probably).

Oof that episode was a hard one to make a definitive judgement on. But I'm leaning more towards 'meh'.

Spoiler

It just felt so rushed? Like a lot of tying up and zipping between things and a bit messy?

I've loved the second series more than the first, and up to this point thought it was top class. But that episode has just left me feeling a bit let down.

My favourite/agonising scene of the Subtle Knife was there, but it didn't feel 'earned'. It was absolutely heart-breaking, but that was more in the 5 mins of the moment rather than the build up and feeling attached to Lee.

Argh. maybe I'll change my mind. But a 9/10 series with a 6/10 last episode in my current view.

EDIT: Felt like flashbacks to the Golden Compass movie with the short and rushed scenes and disarray.

EDIT 2: Did they need to condense the series from 8 episodes into 7? I heard an episode had to be dropped focused on Asriel due to Covid? That might explain the pace of that episode.

Tell you one thing about that last epsiode that took me by surprise 

Spoiler

Somehow I'd completely forgotten that Lee died. That was a massive shock, I can't believe I forgot about that.

2nd series was brilliant I thought but I agree the last epsiode felt rushed, but still very good.

Can't wait to see how they do

Spoiler

the Mulefas

next series.

Spoiler

They're gonna confuse people so much :lol:

Was that the last one of the series? 

I thought that was a bad episode. The direction created no sense of drama or tension, the shootout was just awful and important character moments lacked any earned emotion. 

Whole episode was a bizarre drop in quality over the rest of the series. 

I didn’t rate this episode at all. I have enjoyed the series,  but nowhere near as much as other people here. As already mentioned, it just seemed to be people walking around explaining things or thing just happening with no drama. They definitely tried to cram too much in. 

Spoiler

Yeah not much of that felt earned.

Not helped by it felt like we had built up to everyone being in the same place all series with things converging only for all the moments in the episode be much more individual.

Will popped round the corner and his Dad was there.

Will's Dad neglects to mention he's being chased by a gun squad, and also having been shot by one there was no by the way there might be shit loads more of those coming, plenty of time for Will to ponder around and not maybe rush back to his recently declared best friend.

Lyra was waking up but did they indicate why Pan did not get a chance to beast out?

Wilson almost killing her demon prob the episode highlights.

The longest journey of the episode was the witch (I'm not spelling that),

despite the fact she can speed materialise fly between places all of a sudden took some time to get to Lee - a character I've enjoyed but in some ways him and Lyra haven't had the screen time for the devotion he's always gone on about.

Some great vista shots but it felt like everything happened in a stage play with characters going off stage left and turning up stage right with the set redone.

Fyi there is a small bit after the credits to watch.

Enjoyable but definitely disappointing at the same time.

5 hours ago, Gommy said:
  Hide contents

Yeah not much of that felt earned.

Not helped by it felt like we had built up to everyone being in the same place all series with things converging only for all the moments in the episode be much more individual.

Will popped round the corner and his Dad was there.

Will's Dad neglects to mention he's being chased by a gun squad, and also having been shot by one there was no by the way there might be shit loads more of those coming, plenty of time for Will to ponder around and not maybe rush back to his recently declared best friend.

Lyra was waking up but did they indicate why Pan did not get a chance to beast out?

Wilson almost killing her demon prob the episode highlights.

The longest journey of the episode was the witch (I'm not spelling that),

despite the fact she can speed materialise fly between places all of a sudden took some time to get to Lee - a character I've enjoyed but in some ways him and Lyra haven't had the screen time for the devotion he's always gone on about.

Some great vista shots but it felt like everything happened in a stage play with characters going off stage left and turning up stage right with the set redone.

Fyi there is a small bit after the credits to watch.

Enjoyable but definitely disappointing at the same time.

I can forgive Gruman 

Spoiler

for forgetting to mention the men chasing him because he'd just met his son for the first time in years.

Also re Pan. Thats not how deamons work. They aren't just some kind of creature that can hulk up and defeat another's. They are an extension of their human, so if Lyra wakes up scared then so will Pan. When Pan went full rage mode on the monkey before thats because the rage and hate flowing through Lyra was at an all time high and Mrs.Coulter had let her guard down.

Also she has the spectres with her, nothing Lyra and Pan can do against them.

Spoiler

The pan thing it's not that he didn't do anything it's more there wasn't any reaction.

Absolutely everything happened off screen   Did they even show Lyra seeing the spectre control? 

Or the airship is that a church-nazi airship? 

I have a feeling they won't do the

Spoiler

Mulefa

at all. Although I liked them myself, and thought they were important in giving you perspective on what "human" means, I can see that it might just not help get the main story points across.

Spoiler

They already put Mary in the Citagazze world, and I thought she went straight to the Mulefa world in the books.. as far as I remember. Feels really set up to skip them.

Feeling mostly the same as the impressions in here. The casting is great and it's really fun to see it all come to life. But it's very rushed and expositiony at the same time.

I can generally understand the divergence from the books, but the Magisterium bombing the Witches raised a bit of an eyebrow. Why spend time on that and the surrounding scenes and rush through so much other stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

I have only just started watching this so I haven't read the rest of thread and I won't be, I just wanted to praise the casting. It's superb.

Farder Coram was exactly who I'd have chosen for the role, he is brilliant. Back to the show! I'm half way through the first series.

I have read Northern Lights but for my shame I never got round to the rest. I'll have to make amends.

On 25/11/2020 at 21:30, Bazjam said:

I really enjoyed the new books, especially the second one.

I found the second book rewarding but a bit of a slog. Mainly because it didn't seem that clear where the story was going at times. Also it seems to (spoilers for anyone who doesn't know how the original trilogy ends) 

Spoiler

Gloss over the fact that Lyra was previously involved in a transdimentional adventure in which she played a key role in the killing of God, and was directly responsible for "ending death" and she's back to being fairly clueles and naive young girl again with no real understanding of how the world/magic/dust/demons/religion affects the world. 

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

I found the second book rewarding but a bit of a slog. Mainly because it didn't seem that clear where the story was going at times. Also it seems to (spoilers for anyone who doesn't know how the original trilogy ends) 

Reveal hidden contents

Gloss over the fact that Lyra was previously involved in a transdimentional adventure in which she played a key role in the killing of God, and was directly responsible for "ending death" and she's back to being fairly clueles and naive young girl again with no real understanding of how the world/magic/dust/demons/religion affects the world. 

I felt the story really ramped up as the book went on. Completely agree with your spoiler though. Hopefully it gets referenced more in the third book.