rllmuk
Harsin

Detroit: Become Human

On 25/06/2018 at 09:06, mansizerooster said:

I really want to get this, and loved the demo, but I just feel like it's a dead-cert for PSPlus in about a year's time.

Correct!

I’m a few scenes in and, while admiring the technical artistry, I’m struggling with why this is a game.

• Upvote 1

I've been playing this for the last day or so and i have to admit it's the first game outside of the fighting games scene that has really kept me interested for a while.

I do agree that sometimes it gets you to perform actions which just seem fruitless and could be done automatically for retaining the feel of this being almost like an interactive movie, but it also suffers from the same niggles that i have with cinema and tv these days.

Scenes that drag out for to long which could be summed up with the point emphasised within a quarter of the time spent.

I won't express any examples in particular because i don't want to spoil anything and with the multiple choices in the game i could guarantee that i would end up spoiling something for someone even behind the spoiler tags. 

About to start this.  I know nothing about it other than I think it’s the same guy that did heavy rain.  I liked that.

I finished it this afternoon.

I recommend you skip the end credits because it shows footage from the game and spoilt a few of the options for me. 

However as soon as i finished i started playing it straight away again looking to complete as many pathways as i can, and at the moment i'm quite enthusiastic to do so. 

Fantastic game can't recommend it enough. 

• Upvote 2

Best thing ever, I've been watching Bryan Dechart play uncharted 4 and he had to go so we raided someone that is playing Detroit become human and after people told her who she got raided by she is flipping the fuck out

• Upvote 1

I feel the need to confess. I've tried all of Cage's previous work including the demo of this and just hated it. Now, mostly because I'm a perverse masochist I decided to give the full game a go. What's strange to me is it's actually not terrible. The mechanics aren't completely maddening and the dialogue doesn't make me want to throw stuff at my TV all the time. The story isn't relentless mind-numbing drivel either, it's quite well measured and almost manages something approximating thought provoking at times. 

This has thrown my whole world view out of whack. Cage being utterly abject was a certainty i could rely on, a critical pillar in my whole way of thinking,  Now I don't know what to think. I mean, the game bit is still pretty joyless and I don't think the story stuff is that great but overall it's not a bad effort. It has its moments.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I've felt the same way. It's earth shattering. 

Although it does that cardinal sin a lot of video games do where all everything and everyone talks about in the environmental background stuff is the game's specific main themes. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I don't understand...

Bryan Dechart plays Connor in Detroit Become Human and he also has his own twitch stream where he and his wife plays games.

When he stopped streaming tonight, he picked a small streamer who was playing Detroit Become Human and merged his chat into hers. When she found out that she had been raided by the guy in the game she was actually playing, she pretty much lost her shit. It was adorable.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, Wickedkitten said:

Bryan Dechart plays Connor in Detroit Become Human and he also has his own twitch stream where he and his wife plays games.

When he stopped streaming tonight, he picked a small streamer who was playing Detroit Become Human and merged his chat into hers. When she found out that she had been raided by the guy in the game she was actually playing, she pretty much lost her shit. It was adorable.

Thanks i had no idea about this, seems his wife is also in the game as the Traci unit.

9 hours ago, Wickedkitten said:

When he stopped streaming tonight, he picked a small streamer who was playing Detroit Become Human and merged his chat into hers. When she found out that she had been raided by the guy in the game she was actually playing, she pretty much lost her shit. It was adorable

A-ha. So "raid" in the context of streaming is when a load of people in chat watching a streamer suddenly all switch over to someone else? 

It's that bit I didn't get. I know who Bryan Dechart is, I have this game and looked up all the cast. :)

26 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Thanks i had no idea about this, seems his wife is also in the game as the Traci unit.

They both are so nice and wholesome it makes my teeth hurt. Jason Mewes is another one who is nice as all hell 

23 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

I feel the need to confess. I've tried all of Cage's previous work including the demo of this and just hated it. Now, mostly because I'm a perverse masochist I decided to give the full game a go. What's strange to me is it's actually not terrible. The mechanics aren't completely maddening and the dialogue doesn't make me want to throw stuff at my TV all the time. The story isn't relentless mind-numbing drivel either, it's quite well measured and almost manages something approximating thought provoking at times. 

This has thrown my whole world view out of whack. Cage being utterly abject was a certainty i could rely on, a critical pillar in my whole way of thinking,  Now I don't know what to think. I mean, the game bit is still pretty joyless and I don't think the story stuff is that great but overall it's not a bad effort. It has its moments.

Its certainly not yet delved the depths of some of the rest of his stuff, and you can feel the money spent on the unique locations and choices etc.

I also like the protagonist split, because you can give them contradictory motivations and really run with it.

But it’s an interactive tv show, not a game, and I’m glad I’m playing it on PS+ rather than spending £40-60 on it.

(the fact that it’s the only thing I’ve played on PS+ this year; and the last thing I played on PlayStation was Spider-Man last September, means that I effectively *have* paid £40 for it, but...)

I really like how they explicitly show you the flow chart. Makes a decent metagame of scouring it for clues as to how to unlock the paths you haven't seen (and also stops you wasting time when you have found everything). I always liked in the Telltale games and Life is Strange how you got your choices laid out along with player percentages, this improves on that.

14 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

It's a game.

Yes. Ok. It’s a choose your own adventure game with fancy graphics.

It's still a disappointingly large amount of smoke and mirrors and some bits just are plain stupid filler. 

It's very nearly great though but it needs more VLR / 999 type stuff, it's still not enough of a game that knows it's a game and is instead on the interactive movie side of things which means it's still quite simple in it's branching storytelling. 

On 06/07/2019 at 22:56, petrolgirls said:

I might be wrong, but I think this is the first time that Cage has brought in other writers to help out with the script, which could explain why it’s hit the unprecedented heights of basic storytelling competence. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, K said:

I might be wrong, but I think this is the first time that Cage has brought in other writers to help out with the script, which could explain why it’s hit the unprecedented heights of basic storytelling competence. 

A quick Google suggests you're exactly right. Not only was there a team of proper writers on Detroit but he had a co-director with a background in film. Given how closely he tries to ape cinema it seems crazy to me that he didn't use people with experience in that field prior to Detroit. It's made a huge difference. 

Yeah it's genuinely really good. 

It's not the "so bad it's good" type thing you get with Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain. 

I fucking love Fahrenheit for all the wrong reasons. All that Alien fucking banana's shit is soooo good, and just awful. 

Detroit is actually genuinely a good and well made games.  

Finished a run through. 

As a spectacle, it’s very pretty. As a David Cage game, it doesn’t descend into utter ridiculousness. As a game with random shit quicktime events, it’s ok.

there’s still some awful deus ex going on though, with characters emotions bouncing backwards and forwards to service the storyline and, in cases, utterly weird setup.

Spoiler for something in the last third of the game, which I suspect you can’t miss. It’s barely a spoiler though, given the nature of a game with three characters.

e.g. Kara getting dropped off at Jericho to get a passport - something that hadn’t been foreshadowed as a service run by Marcus and his mates in the slightest

• Upvote 1

Okay. That was ... disconcerting. I'm playing through this again, and Connor just said "Hello Amanda" right after I had asked Alexa (my amazon echo) what time it was, at which point I heard "Hi" behind me. Alexa had heard Connor's "Hello" as a follow-up, and responded in kind...

• Upvote 1

On 07/07/2019 at 06:48, deerokus said:

Although it does that cardinal sin a lot of video games do where all everything and everyone talks about in the environmental background stuff is the game's specific main themes. 

Yep. Detroit, Vampyr and the last couple of Deus Ex games were absolutely terrible for this. It drives me mad.