Harsin

Detroit: Become Human (someone gave David Cage money again)

:lol:

I genuinely came in here to say that I was looking forward to seeing TBF play this; that video is bound to be far more entertaining than the 'game' itself.

Those are some god-tier comedy LPs. I adore those guys.

I`ve never heard of them before. I think I`ll watch some now.

You guys are harsh. They have their flaws, but I enjoyed my time with Beyond Two Souls more than any people's darling Telltale game. Looking forward to this.

That pic of Defoe and Page is priceless though :lol:

For those that haven't seen it:

Isn't that the pschopath girl from The Following? Maybe the game will involve randomly stabbing people to death.

EDIT: Yes, it is. Valorie Curry.

I always feel bad for the actors in David Cage games.

And that was before Ellen Page found out that David Cage made a fully nude model of her without her permission.

Beyond: Two Souls is amazing in the level of awfulness of its writing, it's like The Room of videogames.

If Ellen Page is in a scene with a male who's not a love interest, there's a 50/50 chance they try and sexually assault her (although that's the case for women in most Cage games), the visit to the mystical wise Native Americans, the non-sequitur ending where it flashes forward to a Terminator 2 looking post-apocalypse and five words SECRET CHINESE UNDERWATER GHOST BASE.

• Upvote 3

I quite enjoyed Heavy Rain but it was flawed. Then again I loved Until Dawn, and that also had plenty of issues.

Anyhoo, I thought Detroit looked fantastic (and I was already slightly in love with Valorie Curry from watching The Following.... which is wierd as she's a nutcase psycho killer.... I have issues).

Quantic Dreams twitter feed shows that there are demos of the PS4 versions of Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, plus a post from last month saying the release date will be announced soon.

CSVI4OaWoAAR1ZX.jpgCSVG1TkWcAAm4-2.jpg

If Ellen Page is in a scene with a male who's not a love interest, there's a 50/50 chance they try and sexually assault her (although that's the case for women in most Cage games), the visit to the mystical wise Native Americans, the non-sequitur ending where it flashes forward to a Terminator 2 looking post-apocalypse and five words SECRET CHINESE UNDERWATER GHOST BASE.

I must play this.

• Upvote 1

I have to confess here that I found The Nomad Soul and Fahrenheit to be two of the most interesting games for their times, despite the serious flaws in the latter. I missed out on the PS3 era but will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

• Upvote 4

Fahrenheit is certainly 'interesting' in the same way a piece of outsider art made out of dead rats by a serial killer is 'interesting'.

Outside of the strong opening it's one of the worst high profile games ever made.

Well, we all know what "doing a Fahrenheit" means these days, but, a couple of stealth sections aside, the earlier parts of the game were tense and enjoyable, the interrogation scenes were, I think, unique for the time. I stick with interesting as an overall descriptor.

I remember when I first saw someone play the opening section of Fahrenheit as well as a few of the scenes that followed. The first hour made the game seem like the most incredible thing ever to me at the time, the fact it went in the direction it did was tragic.

It was all bullshit bananas, a down-to-earth murder mystery becomes about a secret interdimensional Illuminati who are also the ancient Mayans and who travel between worlds by ritual sacrifice and need to get the Indigo child for ??? reasons because there's a prophecy and also they're in a secret war with an AI made from the internet who masquerades as an old women in a wheelchair, and you're a zombie who got special "Chroma" Matrix powers from a flying saucer in Area51 as a child, but nothing you do actually changes any of this and is just about murdering an ancient Mayan assassin who kidnapped your girlfriend and tied her to a rollercoaster.

What's not to love?? :wub:

• Upvote 3

I once heard someone argue that in a lot of stories you can get away with having one nonsensical thing as long as it is consistent with the rest of the stories world. In the case of Fahrenheit the occult stuff and hallucinations are as nonsensical as it should have been allowed to go, in the case of Rubber Johnny's post I can spot like 10 things that are just dumb and crazy and shouldn't have any place in what was suppose to be a story set in a conventional setting.

If the premise of Fahrenheit had been a story about a cult that is making the climate drop to low temperatures because of some kind of evil then there is a story to be told, throwing all that other stuff on top just turned the whole thing into a mess.

The thing that pissed me off most about Fahrenheit is that it did what so many "branching" stories do, there was all this stuff about affecting the outcome and playing it how you wanted to and even in the very first scene in the bathroom there was basically fuck all you could do that was in any way different or had any different impact on the story.

But from seeing that best friends play, it seems he gets round this by saying you should only ever play it once, which is the biggest cop out I've ever heard.

I'll still play it though because I enjoy the slower pace and they invariably have some fantastic unintentional lols.

I would guess that they're bankrolled by the French Governments funding of French culture and the arts.

Their games make money, no matter how many people may vocally dislike them on the internet and that matters more in terms of why he keeps on getting funding from Sony than anything else.

Heavy Rain was very exciting and fresh, if flawed. It's a testament to the medium's growth that we get such different gameplay experiences. Thankfully people who want games caged (no pun intended) into certain gameplay ways are not always heard.

That doesn't mean that Cage produces coherent stories, is a great writer or director. It does mean though that I prefer playing his games than most of the yearly shit like AC or CoD.

edit: It all looks a bit like a rip-off from Humans the TV show.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sure, but it won't be. It's from the guy that made Heavy Rain.

Heavy Rain was pretty good for what it was in my opinion. It certainly stayed with me as quite the emotional game (even though I had to make some leaps of logic to get there :P). But if you mean Beyond or Fahrenheit then yes, chances are not in his favor.

There is nothing (that) wrong with enjoying Cage games - I've enjoyed less than stellar (and some shitty) games/movies/tv shows that I know kinda suck. They're guilty pleasures. But you run into an issue when trying to argue their merit as actual quality when entirely narrative based games have poor writing. It's like if the next Street Fighter game out and there were some interesting ideas and novelty concepts but the fundamental point of the game (the fighting mechanics) were flawed. Actually this is exactly what happened with Super Smash Bros Brawl where it had some really cool extras but the engine and fighting mechanics got fucked which is why the game was shunned and forgotten by most.

I'm into narrative heavy games, I've got tonnes on my PC alone, but saying "well at least it isn't COD or AC!" (as if narrative based games are a dead/empty genre and only Cage is serving them up) doesn't detract from the fact that they're scripted games with shitty scripts.