IGNORED

Wonderland Dizzy

robotattack

Seems to be a remix of Magicland Dizzy. First and only time you can play as Daisy as well, which is probably the most remarkable thing about the game.

They said that they took a look at Magicland Dizzy when they had originally designed it.

Pretty amazing really, for them to have found this on a floppy disc 22 years after it was created and ( with some help from dedicated Dizzy community fans ) got it out there for everyone to enjoy :)

They mentioned something about it having the same backgrounds as Magicland Dizzy, but yeah, it goes further than that. From what I can remember (its existence is mentioned online) it is essentially a remix of Magicland Dizzy in the same way Dizzy the Adventurer is of Prince of the Yolkfolk.

By the way, the code was found in one of the Twins loft and they contacted the owner of YolkFolk.com who put them in touch with a Polish forum member that compiled the code, fixed some bugs and added some more languages in. The owner then thought to put it in a Flash NES emulator. Which seems like a reasonably good idea apart from Flash being an almost dead format. At the moment they've only given that as an option to play it. Personally I think it would have been a better idea just to give the ROM away with links to emulators and have the Flash version as an extra.

As well as the other additions the Polish programmer was asked to add a feature so it gives a code when you complete the game. They want people to tweet the codes to win a Dizzy clock. I've forgotten the hashtag though. ????

And yeah, the option to play as Daisy is an interesting one, although it isn't really much more than a way of giving you extra lives. Ie they don't have different abilities to solve puzzles. Makes a change for the daft bint not to need rescuing though.

zq1Ob09h.jpg

bO0BkXHh.jpg

NB The box, book and cart are just mock-ups.

That's fair enough if that's the case, but they should have done a better job of encoding it rather than making the ROM easily obtainable from the HTML source. :P They did mention a cartridge of it being one of the tiers for the book but I don't see it on there.

For the most part I would think they'd be wanting as many people to play it as possible so they might be interested in buying the book. They possibly still have some hope in creating a new Dizzy game too which getting people interested in the character would help with. Also it's technically Codemaster's game so without coming to an agreement they can't sell it anyway. They did get permission to give it away.

A link to the ROM image has been added to the official site. Oh yeah, there was a guy there who's made a Dizzy game creator for the Spectrum who said he's going to port the game to the Speccy using it.

The plan is to do some for the Kickstarter for their book as Perks - the perk is not up yet but the Kickstarter is running : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47744432/the-story-of-the-oliver-twins

I'm in the process of talking to some suppliers....

Coolio.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching the Twins YT channel for several months now, they do regular vids talking about all of their releases and are a good way into the 8Bit era:

Link

They don't have much of a following and only a few hundred views but it's great to think because of this and digging through their lofts for these vids they stumbled across it. Fingers crossed they find other stuff up there! I'm giving serious thought of paying the £500 to spend a day down there with them after backing the game on KS.

I was only ever really a light Dizzy fan and the only one that ever appealed to me was the 3rd Fantasy World, I was obsessed with it for years speed runs etc. None of the other ever really clicked with me except for that one. So I'm not sure if the day trip would be much use but the chance to get a copy signed might be worth it :lol:

They do seem like genuinely lovely people on screen and in person. I'm glad the Kickstarter for the book has been funded so they get a chance to give more insight into their careers. I'd be tempted to go for the £500 tier too, but I got embarrassed enough when one of them remarked to me how nice the buffet looked. :s

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Olivers have no intention of ever selling it in cartridge form like that, beyond the NES carts done for the Kickstarter so there's nothing wrong with those auctions. Plus how is it pirating when the game is given away for free? Still takes time, effort and kit to make those Famicom carts, nothing wrong with it.

Well he does go into some detail about it being released in 2015 after being made in the 90's. The only people who will go for it are people who know the situation anyway and it's not like he's running a business.

I love stuff like this as it means you can get games you never could elsewhere. Best I ever owned was the Earthbound NES cart which cost me about £35 and didn't credit any creators either:

The Olivers have no intention of ever selling it in cartridge form like that, beyond the NES carts done for the Kickstarter so there's nothing wrong with those auctions. Plus how is it pirating when the game is given away for free? Still takes time, effort and kit to make those Famicom carts, nothing wrong with it.

If someone is profiting off of someone else's copyrighted material it's piracy no matter how you dress it up. Yes it's nice for someone wanting to own an actual cartridge release to add to their collection, but legally they have no right to sell it even if it costs £25 to create and they're only selling it out of the kindness of their heart. It being release for free doesn't make any difference either.