IGNORED

Far Cry Primal

Capwn

I'm just glad they broke the template. I was half expecting the plot to be some American dude who just woke up in the stone age for some reason and went on to be the most bad-ass caveman in the world.

EDIT: Just realised this is pretty much what they did with all the early Assassin's Creed games!

20 hours in... I suspect I have unlocked the last mission. Even though I have completed a shit load of other stuff in the game I am still not equipped to finish the fight, one more bar on the health meter to unlock,  but I think I will complete all the remaining orange quests first. 

I mean,  I think I have unlocked the last mission,  even though I still have 2 other yellow missions to do (hard as nails fort ones). 

Enjoyed it a lot more than 4, not as good as 3, and I will say nothing more about the dog shite one. 

So much better riding about on the back of a leaping sabretooth tiger than a run of the mill jeep.

I'm really enjoying this. The setting works so well and it's a massive gamble from Ubisoft to remove gunplay but it completely changes the dynamic of the game. No more rushing around everywhere, blowing any threats away. Now, it's all about walking or crouching, to avoid detection from either the other tribes or the glut of hostile animals out there. 

By slowing the game right down it also allows you to take in the wonderful mood and atmosphere. Bird calls, boars snuffling about, goats bleating and nothing else. Or you can just sit and watch as eagles come flying down to pick up goats and drag them off into the sky, or wince as a pack of five or six dholes try to take down a bear and lose big time when a jaguar (those fuckers are fast) zips in and takes a couple of them out before they even know what is going on. Or you can just shit yourself when night comes (the dawn and dusks are glorious in this :wub: ) and you can see nothing but the reflecting eyes of a pack of wolves, staring at you. And I've not even mentioned your tamed pets yet.

I'll tell you what though, R6, The Division and now this. I'm liking this post Watchdogs Ubisoft :)

there is a lovely contrast of peace and tranquility juxtaposed with the fierce violence of survival in the world.

The fact its not hand holdy and allows you to just exist and explore the world and take on stuff as and when you want is superb. The problem with the previous 2 games as good as they were in places was the formula was exactly the same and its hard in memory to differentiate the 2.

The more blockbuster set pieces they make them the more you've seen it all before and switch off, this is a really brave decision and even so early on in the game,  the best of the past 3 outings in the series for me. Its funny that so many reviewers have totally missed the point of the design decisions and criticized the game for a lack of story, and have really missed a trick that the main point of the game is survival.

Ended up buying this last night after all. Weak.

After an hour fiddling with settings I can only assume the PC release is a tiny bit broken. No matter what I did, I got frame drops to the low 50's when the camera pans over the waterfall during the benchmark. Strangely, the difference in average framerate between the absolute lowest settings to max was only 10fps. Something aint right.

Anyway, onto the game. Lovely opening. Looks great. Don't like how collectible sticks and plants and stuff is kinda obviously there. It's not highlighted in yellow or anything, it just looks lower resolution and lower textured so it stands out I think, like 'look at me, I'm collectible!'

I made a bow and arrow, then hunted 3 deer (musta been well hungry), built a camp, then called it a night. Looking forward to this. And a decent patch.

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

Ended up buying this last night after all. Weak.

After an hour fiddling with settings I can only assume the PC release is a tiny bit broken. No matter what I did, I got frame drops to the low 50's when the camera pans over the waterfall. Strangely, the difference in average framerate between the absolute lowest settings to max was only 10fps. Something aint right.

Anyway, onto the game. Lovely opening. Looks great. Don't like how collectible sticks and plants and stuff is kinda obviously there. It's not highlighted in yellow or anything, it just looks lower resolution and lower textured so it stands out I think, like 'look at me, I'm collectible!'

I made a bow and arrow, then hunted 3 deer (musta been well hungry), built a camp, then called it a night. Looking forward to this. And a decent patch.

strange your having problems, whats your rig set up?

I play almost all games like this as a slow paced sniping/ sneaking sim anyway and this sounds like it's actually made to be played like that too, so I think I might have to get it after all.

Cheers for the impressions chaps.

4 minutes ago, Dave White said:

strange your having problems, whats your PC set up?

i5 4670k at 4.2GHz. 12GB RAM and 780ti. Got the Nvidia driver released yesterday too.

Don't want to derail the thread too much with settings talk, and it's running perfectly acceptably, but playing with the settings just doesn't give consistent results, and it seems absolutely impossible to stop the frame dropping to low 50's over that waterfall. Even, as I say, on lowest settings.

I've just bought it too. Can't really argue with £24!

I started Far Cry 4 for the first time last week and didn't really get on with it, so I loaded up Far Cry 2 instead and it's still incredible. If this is a step towards that then I'm all in.

They could do some quite clever Chrono Trigger type nonsense if they kept the map the same across all the Far Cry's.

Logistical version nightmare but would be quite cool if they'd done them the other way around and you could see remnants of your caveman dicking about while you played 4 or what have you.

Meh. It also shares the same animations for takedowns and skinning as 3&4, and if Ubi hadn't turned the formula on it's head, I'd probably be a lot more aggravated but when you're creeping through waist high grass, in the dead of night with nothing but a charred club, two spears and the last few remaining arrows and the whole area is awash with wolves, jaguars, jackals and various types of lion, I really couldn't give a monkeys if they've recycled assets from previous games. 

I know they deserve their reputation but Ubisoft are putting out some really enjoyable stuff at the moment and I'm going to give them a bit of a break due to it.

On 03/03/2016 at 11:23 AM, Scruff said:

Meh. It also shares the same animations for takedowns and skinning as 3&4, and if Ubi hadn't turned the formula on it's head, I'd probably be a lot more aggravated but when you're creeping through waist high grass, in the dead of night with nothing but a charred club, two spears and the last few remaining arrows and the whole area is awash with wolves, jaguars, jackals and various types of lion, I really couldn't give a monkeys if they've recycled assets from previous games. 

I know they deserve their reputation but Ubisoft are putting out some really enjoyable stuff at the moment and I'm going to give them a bit of a break due to it.

Great Beast Hunts man. When you have that shit down to a sliver of health, are completely out of weapons and meat, in the dark,  your beast is damn near dead, and the only thing between you and certain death is managing to run that bitch past one of the traps that you hopefully set up on the way to its lair in hope that it will be enough to take it down to where you can tame it.

This is definitely a game that is about the journey, I fucking love it.

I love it when a predator comes running towards me, even a big ass cave lion, and then it stops as it sees the giant Blood fang Sabretooth next to me then turns around and flees :)

Much more like FC2 that the others with some good bits from FC3 and 4 thrown in also

12 minutes ago, tbb said:

I love it when a predator comes running towards me, even a big ass cave lion, and then it stops as it sees the giant Blood fang Sabretooth next to me then turns around and flees :)

Much more like FC2 that the others with some good bits from FC3 and 4 thrown in also

Except the Honey Badger! They fear no one.

I've played longer and my enjoyment has plateaued, along with the gameplay. 

There just aren't any really high notes in the missions or locations. It's stunning in its atmosphere but the places you discover are empty caves or deserted camps. It needed some poetic licence and add ash fields and erupting volcanoes or go fullTurok.

and the amount of stuff to pick up for crafting is ridiculous.