Far Cry Primal

Capwn

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

People said exactly the same things back then, so it's hardly subject to rose tinting.

It's a game with many faults (although who cares about the handguns? If you aren't playing as a sniper you're doing it wrong), but they add to its brilliance, not take it away.

As I said in that very thread, Ubisoft plopped a load of bugs in the game to remind the faithful that only Allah is perfect.

Let's not forget that for the first 3 hours of the game the enemies point the wrong way when shooting at you, and at around 70% you have to rotate ten different saves because half of them will crash your Xbox.

And it's still the second best shooter ever.

You kinda described a big pile of dog shite there, not a contender for the second best FPS ever made, you are doing it wrong.

14 hours ago, Stanley said:

Very much so. I remember it coming up the moment MGS5 came out, beforehand even.

I don't know much about MGS5, but that has certainly piqued my interest. Although I'll almost certainly never own a PS4, so I guess I will miss out.

I thought it was 3rd person though?

Just now, ZOK said:

I don't know much about MGS5, but that has certainly piqued my interest. Although I'll almost certainly never own a PS4, so I guess I will miss out.

I thought it was 3rd person though?

Ah man you must try it. It's predominately third person but you can use weapons in first person mode. It's supremely controllable and playable. An utter joy. It's also available on every format going, including last gen and PC. PS4 not necessary :)

16 hours ago, sir_shrew said:

ZOK gone mad. Dead Rising was plenty great, but had a ton of issues around it's brave but ultimately infuriating Groundhog Day save system.

Those fucking prisoners...

I liked the prisoners, they forced you to take different routes. You would pop your head out of the doors, and depending on whether the prisoners flew toward you or were dicking around in the distance, you could take the short route of terror or be forced to trail your party through the mall of death.

Later on, you murder them, of course.

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ah man you must try it. It's predominately third person but you can use weapons in first person mode. It's supremely controllable and playable. An utter joy. It's also available on every format going, including last gen and PC. PS4 not necessary :)

Oh really? Worth playing on a 360?

I played Ground Zeroes, the MGS V prologue, on PS3 and for the time it was up there with GTA V in terms of the technical magic it was producing. You're not going to get 1080/60 like you do on the current gen versions but I've heard it runs really, really well. You're not getting some shitty downgraded conversion, it's the real deal. If you love the sandbox style of FC2 you're going to love it. 

Certainly I like the sandbox elements, but what I like best about Far Cry 2 is the sense of immersion in a real world. If it gets its hooks into you, you are really there, wandering the African landscape like a sociopathic tourist with a dart gun and a keen eye for a sunset.

It's never been equalled as far as I'm concerned, so if MGS5 can top that I am definitely all over it. I probably will be anyway, but that's what I'm after really.

On 27/02/2016 at 8:07 AM, Dave White said:

for those on the fence, your owl turns from valuable scout, to airborne stuka death beast.

Oh and did someone mention Honey Badger assault?

Fucking badgers man, first time I heard one I actually did go "is that a damn..." and the thing was already trying to bite the shit out of me. I have the feeling that it might actually be more formidable than my damn blood fang sabretooth as a pet

I was proper sceptical of this and after the first hour or so I just wasn't feeling it, but I'm absolutely loving it now. Some of the stuff I read in the reviews seems way off from what I'm playing. Loving just wondering about, hunting and gathering materials with my lion and battering skulls with my club. I liked Far Cry 4, although I preferred 3. I think this one sits between them.

put it on hold s i flipped my ps4 copy and am waiting for the steam version to unlock tomorrow, some of the lighting on the ps4 version is breathtaking so hope it looks the biz in 4k.

Loved what I played, the pace is awesome and i cant believe i actually prefer the primitive weapons to guns. Bit of a breath of fresh air and utterly brutal and satisfying.

4 hours ago, Dave White said:

put it on hold s i flipped my ps4 copy and am waiting for the steam version to unlock tomorrow, some of the lighting on the ps4 version is breathtaking so hope it looks the biz in 4k.

Loved what I played, the pace is awesome and i cant believe i actually prefer the primitive weapons to guns. Bit of a breath of fresh air and utterly brutal and satisfying.

im loving it more and more as I play. It's properly challenging in places but I'm really starting to get the hang of the combat.

i can't believe some places were saying that if feels like DLC. It doesn't at all.

38 minutes ago, Dave White said:

the brutality of survival against savages is far more visceral and interesting than the seen it all before red enemies in jeeps.

Many a time I have heard them before seeing them and enjoy the hunting very much indeed.

Yeah absolutely.

the only thing I'm not digging in this so far st the heavy human enemies. They don't really make much sense in the world and seem fucking stupidly hard to kill unless I'm missing something.

the game doesn't need them.

11 minutes ago, elmo said:

Yeah absolutely.

the only thing I'm not digging in this so far st the heavy human enemies. They don't really make much sense in the world and seem fucking stupidly hard to kill unless I'm missing something.

the game doesn't need them.

The spear is your friend with heavies. Especially once you upgrade it a few times.

10 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I think instead of buying this, I'm going to finally play FC2 after buying it on Steam about 5 years ago. I hold ZOK entirely accountable if it is a piece of shit.

It's a great game, just don't stick to the roads. 

You'll either love it or hate it, that's for sure. 

When it came out, it was a unique experience. I don't play enough games to know if it's as individual as it was, but I doubt the sense of immersion in a world has been bettered much.

1 hour ago, Wickedkitten said:

The spear is your friend with heavies. Especially once you upgrade it a few times.

Cheers, I'll get on that. I think tonight I'm going to ignore missions and side quests and just do an evenin of gathering materials and hunting. Upgrade some stuff then get back to it.

im supposed to be writing a review for it but I can't stop playing.

7 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Shouldn't you finish it first anyway?

It depends on what type of game it is really.

This one, I definitely want to finish first but I tend to write as I'm playing, then go back and tweak if my opinion has changed later down the line as I forget points I want to make by the time it's done.

The problem I'm finding though is thinking I'll play for an hour, write some stuff down and go back to it but I keep finding myself caught up in it and a blank page next to me!

6 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

The next Far Cry should be a mix of Far Cry 2, 4 and the animals from Primal.

Im hoping they head to Rome next. But I can't see it until another standard far cry comes out first.