IGNORED

Ghost - IMPERA - Grabs you by the Hoo-haa

Mike1812

I love it, so catchy. I've got 4 or 5 songs that rotate in my head contently. At the moment, my favourites are

Darkness

Kaisarion

Watcher in the Sky

Spillways

Twenties is now lodged in my head too so I guess it's grown on me quite a bit. 

This LP is like BoC, Foreigner and Europe on steroids. I like it. The last track has this big operatic sound like the track above that I really digggg

Shame that when you take the instrumentals out, theres 9 tracks , 4 of which were already out so only 5 new tracks really - but I like them all so whatever.

13 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I have a new favourite each day I listen. Respite on the Spitalfields is a great closer.

put the album on loop and Impera just naturally continues Respite - but with a different feel, the endless rise and fall of Empires :)

"All Of This Has Happened Before And Will Happen Again" 

Yeah, I've been rewatching Battlestar Galactica.

Also, Darkness at the Heart of My Love is the 80s power ballad we didn't know we needed in 2022. So bold, so sweet. 

Folks complaining about Ghost’s direction musically - do you forget that one of the best tracks on their first album was Satan’s Prayer?

melodic, keyboards, catchy as fuck, pop/rock/metal

20 hours ago, scottcr said:

Folks complaining about Ghost’s direction musically - do you forget that one of the best tracks on their first album was Satan’s Prayer?

melodic, keyboards, catchy as fuck, pop/rock/metal

It really is almost the same stuff with a different production twist and (I would argue) more sophistication.

You could even argue that this isn’t different enough. Little Sunshine is very reminiscent of Cirice and elements of Majesty. Watcher in the Sky is a cross between Year Zero and Elizabeth in the verses. Plenty of other examples. But I think the 80’s soft metal ballad dial being turned up to 11 elevates the whole package, and I think this is the catchiest set of songs he’s done yet.

Plenty of heavy as fuck riffs buried amongst the cheese too. I think I appreciate Hunter’s Moon more now as part of the album. That middle section riff is more Opus Eponymous or Infestissumam than it is Prequelle. But then it does that classic Pop filter sweep before the “drop” in the final chorus. Genius, I say! 

Agree with all that - the production is off the scale. I was looking at the music for Kaisarion yesterday and there’s 4 guitar tracks, which makes it a challenge to play with just one… and that Rush like prog bit towards the end is a brain melted to play.

Maybe he just doesn’t say ‘Satan’ enough anymore?

Does anyone else start singing the verse to Kayleigh by Marillion at the start and end of the album?

You should check out Subvision too. Forge’s other band while he was in Repugnant and the album has only just been released outside of Scandinavia. Very, very proto-Ghost in places. 

On 14/03/2022 at 15:43, Mike1812 said:

Also, Darkness at the Heart of My Love is the 80s power ballad we didn't know we needed in 2022. So bold, so sweet. 

It's Ghost's I Wanna Know What Love Is. I'm very much enjoying the more soulful choir.

Edit: Swedish & Norwegian bands repping hard in my top albums of the week :) 

image.png.b1c8e21086d62ab450f9f7c5c45b7a06.png

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Does anyone else start singing the verse to Kayleigh by Marillion at the start and end of the album?

I keep singing 'To earth, who can tell?!' after 'And maybe we'll come back...' during Spitalfields

Love that extended finger tapping around 3 minutes into Watcher in the Sky, and those soaring key changes during the bridge

Griftwood sound like Van Halen

Listened to this while doing some weights yesterday and it's a fantastic workout album. Love it ! 

• 3 weeks later...