rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MattyP

Steam controller...

I think I'm just here to whinge / cry. I don't know what updated or changed, but now my Steam Controller is totally broken when playing No Man's Sky. It's the only game I have that uses the steam overlay to configure the controller, rather than config done in game. So in other words you open the steam overlay and map buttons to actual in game actions.

The D-Pad seems totally broken, the "open inventory" thing is broken. It feels like it might have something to do with the steam overlay, because if I open the steam overlay, and close it, the next press is fine, but after that it's buggy. Sometimes you press something to open the building menu and then your jetpack keeps randomly going off.

The weird thing is I think if I remap my steam controller to normal keys, eg the keyboard then the bugs don't happen. Not seen anyone mention this, but it's really bummed me out as I haven't had much time to sort this out, and I just want a quick go at NMS without it being some huge admin task of remapping everything. Wonder if it's worth reinstalling the controller or something.

Inspired by my Nintendo Switch gyro controls I'd thought I revisit playing games using the gyro function on my steam controller.  After playing all day I think a combination of using the right trackpad as mouse look with trackball like behaviour and gyro controls for precision aiming is the second best way to play anything that requires aiming after mouse and keyboard.  It's actually better in some ways as you still have analog on the left stick. I absolutely love playing shooters this way.  I encourage everyone to try this who has one.

• Upvote 2

I nearly bought one of these from cex today but something held me back. What's the support for playing games like amnesia and dungeons and dragons online? I read some reviews saying the support for loadouts is pretty weak which doesn't very steam community at all.

6 hours ago, strider said:

I nearly bought one of these from cex today but something held me back. What's the support for playing games like amnesia and dungeons and dragons online? I read some reviews saying the support for loadouts is pretty weak which doesn't very steam community at all.

Having a quick browse on Amnesia's steam controller community config page I can see a few but some games have more than others  

59d5bae5dc24c_2017-10-05(2).thumb.png.556f9be88a639970b78d1cc523406ba5.png

I can't comment on the community configurations dungeons and dragons online as I have not got it in my library.  You may be able to check for yourself but not sure if it only allows you to see this if it detects as Steam controller plugged in.  Just go to the game in your library and look for the option on the right under the list of links and click controller configuration and it allows you to view templates.  

59d5bdbd5594e_2017-10-05(4)_LI.thumb.jpg.9010ca9c8e40937e2523a49aaf0cb360.jpg

However you can create your own configuration from scratch or take someone else's config and tweak it.  Its reasonably straight forward and there is an explanation as to what each options do but I don't understand all of them myself. I'm not a massive tinkerer so if you're not into tinkering at all its probably not for you.  For some games the developers make an official configuration.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to install Doom and put the Steam controller through its paces on that.  It will be a good test to see how it holds up*.  Can anyone recommend any other first person shooters, old or new?  I wanted to perhaps try Painkiller as I've never tried that and perhaps Crysis.

*or see how I hold up :lol:

I love how OTT configurable the Steam Controller is, but when you have to use the d-pad as an actual d-pad for 2D games, menus and the like? Jesus, it's brutal. Best you can do is make it work on touch, whack the the dead zone up and limit it to 4 directions.

Anyway, back to the good. It's configurable enough to map properly to a GameCube pad, including having both the analogue triggers and the full click capabilities, so emulating that stuff is back on. It's cool that you can also overlay different sets of controls, so I can hold in one of the back paddles to use the touch pad as a mouse for emulator menus and that. Looking forward to some widescreen Super Mario Sunshine and the translated version of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD on the couch tomorrow via Steam Link.

• Upvote 1

It's on sale for £4:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/

Also, they're not going to make any more. Bit of a shame. I'll admit I use an Xbone controller most of the time, but there are some games where Valve's bug eyed thing offers unique benefits - e.g. any FPS which also has vehicles. Mouse and Keyboard are shit at driving / flying, and controllers are bad at aiming. The Steam Controller is pretty good at both. I hope one of the next gen consoles borrows the happy accident of touch activated gyro, because that really is such a brilliant way to aim with a controller. At least the best thing to come out of the whole experiment - Steam's endlessly customisable and shareable controller configs - will live on.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I use mine all the time as I've got a living room pc, the only thing that I find annoying is not being able to have multiple profiles to switch between outside of having steam running. 

It's great for strategy games and the likes of civ, factorio, xcom and so on, I really like it. 

It's possibly the best PC gaming joypad available given it can be individually tailored to work wonderfully with pretty much any game out there, but at the same time almost impossible to make use of because to get the best out of it you need to individually tailor it to pretty much any game out there. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stefcha said:

It's possibly the best PC gaming joypad available given it can be individually tailored to work wonderfully with pretty much any game out there, but at the same time almost impossible to make use of because to get the best out of it you need to individually tailor it to pretty much any game out there. 

There are thankfully quite a lot of community made presets though but sometimes they can be quite oblique as they're just user made and aren't necessarily very intuitive. 

Some devs do make their own which are always welcome. 

I still don't know how to use/ configure it for non steam  stuff though. 

Quite sad they are discontinuing this.  It’s been my go to controller for a few years now.  I’m hoping that Valve announces a version 2 soon.

I could cheerfully sell mine, although the hassle of posting is a significant demotivator to be honest. Anyone busting for one AND able to get to central London on a weekday?

18 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Ah, I wish I'd committed to buying this earlier. That was a good deal. Guess I'll have to look for a second hand one now.

Not sure if you'll see this in time but they're available again right now.

9 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Not sure if you'll see this in time but they're available again right now.

Not any more. :(

Besides, I'm not sure if I really need one, or I just want it because I missed my opportunity. :D

I got one about an hour ago (no idea why, I don’t have a PC but that could change, I guess). They appear to intermittently go in and out of stock.

Mayb Gabe is in their storage, going through old dusty cardboard boxes and whenever he stumbles across one filled with Steam Controllers instead of discarded playable Half Life 3 beta builds, they're back in stock for as long as that box lasts?

Oh, God. This is frustrating. I got the Add to Cart message and jumped at it.

It went out of stock again as I was typing in my address details.

I'll be sitting on Steam tonight hitting F5, I think.

Whilst giving no explanation (or even saying if the actual order is cancelled or not), Steam have  sent an email saying that they have refunded the purchase of the controller.

Anyone else?

No, got an email saying mines preparing to ship.

I'm trying to think what game I will even use it for. Recently bought Divinity OS 2 and when these popped up on sale I assumed that these would be a good fit for said game. Further reading after the fact tells me besides M&K the best way to play is with an Xbone pad, something I have three of. The devs optimised it really well for it supposedly.

The only other game I own that may benefit using it and actually usurp the Xbox pad in usability is Disco Elysium. I think.