rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Your Recent Movie Purchases

Do we have a thread for this? Do we want a thread for this?

Anyway, I recently scored these on BD (I'd take pics but you believe me right?):

• Godzilla (2014)
  • Snowpiercer
  • Pacific Rim
  • Ghost in the Shell (Redux)

All regular editions I'm afraid. Two of which I got via Zavvi who have a 2 for £12 deal going on at the moment. Almost managed to grab Dredd as part of that deal but is sold out already. :(

Any other good deals out the at the moment? I'm eyeing up this edition of Apocalypse Now. I need it.

I've just ordered The Apu Trilogy on Blu-ray from Amazon.

It's not out until November and its coming from the US so I have no idea if I'll be able to play it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure something out by the time they arrive.

Do we have a thread for this? Do we want a thread for this?

We have a CD-celebrating thread in Music. So why not one for another optical medium that is EQUALLY OBSOLETE?

Only joking! I loves me my DVDs. Sadly nothing recent to mention here though.

These have been bought over the last few months. Some for research but mostly to replace DVD versions. Most of them were cheap, £5-7 in most cases, or part of a buy 2 get 1 free offer. There's probably the same again on the shelf, including Ghostbusters, Raiders and Trading Places.

post-242-0-60383000-1443303539.png

• Upvote 1

Now here's a thread I can contribute to on a far too regular basis!

This week I've bought...

Hiroshima mon Amour (Criterion BD)

The Otto Preminger Film Noir Collection (BFI BD)

Night and the City (BFI BD)

I've pre-ordered...

The Apu Trilogy (Criterion BD) - an absolute steal at $49.99 from Amazon

Mulholland Drive (Criterion BD)

I've just ordered The Apu Trilogy on Blu-ray from Amazon.

It's not out until November and its coming from the US so I have no idea if I'll be able to play it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure something out by the time they arrive.

All Criterion Blu-rays are region locked I'm afraid and so you will need some way of playing US disks.

Pacific Rim and Ghost in the Shell actually showed up in the mail today but forgot that BD's from the UK come in those fat cases instead of the sleek thin ones we got over here. My collection is starting to become a bit of a mess in that regard lol.

What's more is that on the GitS box it actually says "A stunning work of spectacular fiction" -James Cameron (Director of AVATAR) :lol:

At least the actual art of both inlays isn't tainted by that horrible Blu-ray branding bullshit.

+1 for buying The Apu Trilogy Criterion. I'm lucky enough to be in New York in December, so I will pick it up then (hopefully as the B&N sale is happening, fingers crossed). I like this thread. I like to buy films--mainly Criterion Blu-Rays of films I have already seen. I will be back with pictures in a bit.

Just returned from a rummage around Fopp London with:

The Pit and the Pendulum BR (this being the #1 film the week I was born as revealed in the recent Rllmuk thread)

Skyfall BR (put this down to this month's Empire being edited by Mendes)

Ex-Machina DVD

It follows DVD

Not too bad for £23

I find I'm currently investing again in media which is a bit :facepalm: , but on the other hand even £10 or so for a decent re-issue on BR with full notes and supporting material is a lot less than arthouse film VCRs used to be just for the film alone when I started out collecting.

Recently enjoyed The Hourglass Sanatorium and Eyes without a Face in this way.

But am I the only one who thinks it's smart to own your favourite BDs? Streaming services are still all over the place and I'd rather just buy it once and see it in the best possible quality whenever (including the best audio in the form of lossless/PCM).

Call me crazy but unless Steam brings every single film ever released to it's store (and they can guarantee they're still around until the end of my life) I can't see myself ditching BD's any time soon.

I like physical media too. These days, having spent an absolute fortune since the 1980s on VHS and then DVD (I really hope BR is here to stay), I typically don't buy films until they reach the £5-7 range. It's nice to build a collection of films in your chosen genres, and to upgrade your favourites when you see the opportunity. I also like to explore older films which are new to me and these BR / DVD dual format re-issues seem just the thing.

Netflix and similar has a place but it's essentially transient.

• Upvote 2