Edge Special Edition: The 100 Greatest Videogames

post-1159-0-28342100-1443182213_thumb.pn

With thanks to Sabreman (as my copy still hasn't arrived), the entire top one hundred is included in the spoiler below:

100 - WarioWare Inc - GBA

99 - Spec Ops: The Line

98 - Papers, Please

97 - DriveClub

96 - Braid

95 - Super Hexagon

94 - Her Story

93 - Super Monkey Ball

92 - Final Fantasy XII

91 - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

90 - Katamari Damacy

89 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf

88 - Resogun

87 - Puzzle Bobble

86 - F-Zero GX

85 - The Sims 3

84 - R-Type Final

83 - Elite: Dangerous

82 - Bomberman

81 - Starcraft II

80 - Pac-Man Championship Edition

79 - BioShock

78 - CoD 4: Modern Warfare

77 - Puzzle & Dragons

76 - Tearaway

75 - League of Legends

74 - Super Meat Boy

73 - Xenoblade Chronicles

72 - Titanfall

71 - Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

70 - Left 4 Dead 2

69 - Counter-Strike Global Offensive

68 - Civilization IV

67 - Rez

66 - Battlefield 4

65 - Metroid Prime

64 - Hearthstone

63 - Castlevania SotN

62 - Limbo

61 - Towerfall: Ascension

60 - Earthbound

59 - Batman: Arkham Knight

58 - Transistor

57 - Puyo Puyo

56 - FTL Advanced Edition

55 - Persona 4 Golden

54 - Mass Effect 2

53 - Okami

52 - The Stanley Parable

51 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown

50 - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

49 - The Witcher III

48 - Far Cry 4

47 - LittleBigPlanet 3

46 - Trials Fusion

45 - Nidhogg

44 - Fez

43 - Super Mario 3D World

42 - Journey

41 - Fire Emblem: Awakening

40 - Dead Space

39 - Dota 2

38 - Vanquish

37 - Super Mario Maker

36 - Shadow of the Colossus

35 - Halo 3

34 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

33 - Spelunky HD

32 - Destiny

31 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

30 - Kerbal Space Program

29 - Dishonored

28 - Splatoon

27 - Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

26 - Rock Band 3

25 - Skyrim

24 - Drop7

23 - Uncharted 2

22 - Ico

21 - Super Metroid

20 - Demon's Souls

19 - Advance Wars

18 - Mario Kart 8

17 - Ultra Street Fighter IV

16 - MGS V: The Phantom Pain

15 - Super Mario World

14 - Red Dead Redemption

13 - Super Mario 64

12 - Portal

11 - Bayonetta 2

10 - Minecraft

9 - Resident Evil 4

8 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

7 - Super Mario Galaxy 2

6 - Tetris

5 - Half-Life 2

4 - Bloodborne

3 - The Last of Us

2 - GTA V

1 - Dark Souls

I can also tell you not to order this from their subscription site (My Favourite Magazines), as they're ridiculously fucking incompetent.

How is GTAV on that spot? :lol:

Thought we were talking about videogames here.

Video games have become a catch all term for interactive media, we just call them video games because changing the name now would be awkward and nothing really rolls off the tongue and gets the meaning across quite as easily as calling them video games.

There's more game in Pacman then there is in bleedin' GTAV.

I mean it's a fun experience and all and enjoyed my time with it but let's be honest here, it's mostly a driving simulator. A good looking one at that but you might as well put Just Cause 2 on that spot instead.

There's more game in Pacman then there is in bleedin' GTAV.

I mean it's a fun experience and all and enjoyed my time with it but let's be honest here, it's mostly a driving simulator. A good looking one at that but you might as well put Just Cause 2 on that spot instead.

I can't relate to this in any way shape or form. It's like a foreign language.

Is it definitely intended to be a numbered list and not just a celebration of 100 great games? Just curious because I don't recall them doing that when they did a top 100 issue before, and the fact that they're all extremely recent strikes me as a bit un-Edge like.

It isn't actually titled '...ever' so it must be a relatively recent list.

I know this will be double dash/ 10 all over again but I genuinely find 2 & 3 a bit puzzling but in terms of making me want to buy it to read the justification, I'm tempted.

In fact, it's probably 3 that I've got the biggest issue with to be honest.

Quite interesting that the magazine that famously didn't rate Doom too highly because you couldn't talk to the monsters have two incredibly linear games in the top three that are at times even more linear than Doom (within the larger scope of things that can be done in newer engines etc)

I'm sorry but you can hardly describe any of the top three as incredibly linear, particularly in a negative connotation. That's just daft.

? Outside of sandbox mode, the second one on that list (for fear of spoilling) is very linear. You can't even park your cars where you want prior to a mission like you could in the previous games, a mysterious taxi driver comes and moves your car to where the game wants you to be.

There's no real variation on doing the majority of the missions in it because it's a story that you're playing that the game makers want you to see. Re-playing it on this gen, if you play the stock market early on and have LOADS of money, you still have to do all of the missions about getting money - for me personally, I would much rather if the game 'knew' that and could make you skip those missions and use your own money if you wanted - that essentially is what is making it "linear" in the argument I'm making here.

OK, incredibly was a bit hyperbolic but even the second one has only got choices within a section that you're doing, it still gets to a point that you have no control over, just if you stealth or go out guns blazing. I really didn't want to do the end of the game the way that the game made me do it but I had no choice.

I know I'm being OTT but there are still quite a lot of missions in games that haven't got much further than 'find the red key for the red door' it's just dressed up a bit differently and that's all I'm arguing.

? Outside of sandbox mode, the second one on that list (for fear of spoilling) is very linear. You can't even park your cars where you want prior to a mission like you could in the previous games, a mysterious taxi driver comes and moves your car to where the game wants you to be

Yeah I hated that in Dark Souls too

(I was way off asking for this stuff to be spoilers. Obviously people would want to chat about the games involved!)

I just don't like linear being used as a dirty word. Last of Us and Uncharted often come under criticism for this, despite having pretty open level design, particularly LOU. They're tight and they're focused and, yeah, linear. But it totally works especially for the narrative type approach ND do so well.

On the other hand I'd argue most, if not all, open world games lack direction. It's easy to lose sight of the story altogether.

I'm sorry but you can hardly describe any of the top three as incredibly linear, particularly in a negative connotation. That's just daft.

Well, apart from TLOU being considerably more linear than Doom, in terms of freedom to explore, and as linear in every other way, yeah.

Though at least it swaps "if only you could talk to the monsters" for "if only you'd stop with the bloody interactive cut-scenes and let me kill/hide from the monsters already", so I suppose that's progress.

Edit: ah, I didn't see your clarification that you're against the use of 'linear' as perjorative, rather than arguing that the games are all non-linear. Fair enough.

Yeah I hated that in Dark Souls too

(I was way off asking for this stuff to be spoilers. Obviously people would want to chat about the games involved!)

Balls. :) OK, well you know which one I meant.

I've read these same opinions about both TLoU and GTAV on here before as well though. I think they're both very good games but personally, I find it disappointing how both of them are just trying to be playable films / HBO shows instead of really embracing being a videogame. I also appreciate it's quite hard to do that these days what with budget and all that but outside of say, picking which of the two or three options you have on a heist, GTAV's main story is pretty linear. Happy to be proven otherwise but it's just been further polish on things that were in GTA3 more than anything else (in regards to the interactivity and the story).